Worlds of Design: Making Fixes For Spelljammer

What did I do to change the mechanisms of Spelljammer when I devised my own version? Picture courtesy of Pixabay. When I taught video game design in college I discovered that students who were asked to write down their conception of their game, usually wrote about a story and not any actual game mechanisms (often called mechanics). That's not a game. Always keep in mind that stories are...

What did I do to change the mechanisms of Spelljammer when I devised my own version?

wallpaper-5514965_960_720_png.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

When I taught video game design in college I discovered that students who were asked to write down their conception of their game, usually wrote about a story and not any actual game mechanisms (often called mechanics). That's not a game. Always keep in mind that stories are part of settings or adventures, not part of actual game design (though RPGs usually have a default setting). The game designer must focus on the mechanisms, the rules that players must follow. Without mechanisms you don't have a game.

A good set of mechanisms (rules), such as Apocalypse World or the D&D D20 mechanisms, can be adapted for a variety of settings.

I usually create my own settings, but the commercial setting most interesting to me is Spelljammer, despite its inconsistencies. I'm a naval guy at heart. 15 years ago I devised an alternative set of rules to fix Spelljammer rather than start over from scratch.

Consider the biggest flaw in Spelljammer, that those who come into possession of flying/space traveling ships are likely to stay at home and use them to great benefit in warfare, trade, or adventure. If you could use a full-size ship flying above a planet-sized world's surface, why would you ever leave? You'd use the ship as a super bomber in pursuit of defense or conquest, or for trade if peaceably inclined.

The key aspect of my game is a relationship between ship size and the size of celestial bodies. The larger a ship is, the sooner it loses ability to fly as it approaches celestial bodies. The larger a celestial body is, the sooner an approaching ship loses ability to fly. For an Earth-sized planet only very small boats and magic carpets can fly all the way to the surface from space without losing propulsive capability; everything else suffers "kinetic energy poisoning" (crashes). Keep in mind, in Spelljammer all bodies of any size generate their own gravity field, always 1G. Nor does distance from the sun(s) affect the typically terrestrial temperatures. While only practical way to use ships is in conjunction with quite small celestial bodies, such as asteroids and small moons, those can be inhabited and farmed, and hold water and atmosphere just as the Earth can.

This necessarily means that if adventurers want to use such ships they will have to go out into Wildspace, not hang around a planet. It also means that there would be little interaction between a full-size planet and the denizens of Wildspace. Which makes it easy to make up unusual settings for use "out there" without worrying much about how they would affect the main planet(s) - if there are such.

The second big change is that you are not required to sacrifice your spells to have a good tactical platform. The ship-master must be able to cast spells. Sometimes he may cast spells to provide the propulsive force for the ship, or someone else may cast the spells, but in either case the master cannot cast spells except to power the ship while he, she, or it is conning the ship. The master doesn't lose spells the way they do in Spelljammer, but in order to cast non-propulsive spells they must abandon the task of guiding the ship.

These "aetherships" are "kinda magical". There are no separate magical "helms". If you want a spaceship you cannot destroy one in battle and put the helm on another vessel, you must take the ship more or less intact. Ships have been developed over centuries in a haphazard manner, people using trial and error (guess and check) because the scientific method is virtually unknown. There are ShipCraftsmen (or women) who build these ships using expensive materials, a highly sought-after skill, but in most respects it's more like Vikings building ships than like anything approaching modern shipbuilding.

Nonetheless, there are standard forms of ships, and one of the greatest peculiarities is the discovery that aetherships work better when they are built in the form of some living creature. The ships are Very Expensive, but last for decades, even centuries with good upkeep (there's no water deterioration…).

More about "Localships," AetherGuns, strategic vs tactical speeds, and ramming another time.

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

erisred

First Post
My Take on Spelljammer

I've never run it, but this was the way I envisioned running a Spelljammer game:

On Aerath (or whatever you call the home planet) there was once an age of Spelljamming, but that was long ago. The war for control of Aerath was long and hard, but eventually the combined power of High Priests, Master Mages and Warlords were able to drive the League of Spelljammers away and put up barriers around the world.

Today, no Spelljamming ship can reach Aearth, nor leave it. Most of the people of Aearth have all but forgotten that time. There are those, though, who keep an eye upon the heavens watching for the ships of the League and maintaining the barrier.

Out in the Wildspace time has moved forward as well. Those who were once the powerful League of Spelljammers settled the other ?2? rocky planets of the system and the many smaller bodies, like moons and asteroids. Over time they split and re-split, built, destroyed and rebuilt, warred among themselves and over the ages created a multitude of small competing cultures and entities all across the system.

To the Wilders, depending upon their culture, Aerath is the home denied, the paradise lost, heaven, even the hell to be avoided at all costs. For all of them, though, it is a place to be given a wide berth, for those who sail too close to that big blue marble never, ever, return.

This setting, along with a fantasy hanseatic league, a fantasy bronze age Mediterranean sea setting, and a degenerate Ocean Ringworld with nanotech magic setting are at the top of my "going to run a game there someday" list. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

lewpuls

Hero
"...the way my mind deals with your first change is to simply remind myself that others have magic too and that if Spelljammers were around, then they would be dealt with."
I ran SJ with a low-power campaign, where a double-figure level character was as rare as a US congressman. In that situation, there aren't enough others to prevent general use of 'jammers, though maybe you could get together a group to go after just one.

In other words, the more magic and magic-users there are around, the less effect 'jammers can have terrestrially.

"Do you simply assume that high altitude bombardment is too inaccurate to have become much of a tactic?"

Even with Norden bombsights from only 4 miles up in broad daylight, American bombers had little hope of hitting a target smaller than a city block. Trying to bombard from orbit, more or less, with unguided and unpowered missiles is hopelessly inaccurate. Even now we don't know where a satellite is coming down, witness the recent Chinese device, let alone being able to hit something with one.

Celebrim

Legend
Even with Norden bombsights from only 4 miles up in broad daylight, American bombers had little hope of hitting a target smaller than a city block.

That was in fact basically the gist of my question.

One of the big questions of a D&D setting is, "Are castles really functional?" And for most objections, I have a way to answer, "Yes.", which is my desired outcome because I consider the castle so important to the medieval fantasy setting. Minas Tirith is still something I want to exist.

But one area that might render that untrue is bombardment by aerial attackers. If you can carry a catapult stone, say 40-80 lbs., up to above the level that a ground attacker can reply by way of a torsion engine of any sort - which isn't that high really. Then you can bomb with impunity. So far that's never been really tested, because no PC has ever hard pressed the idea and had the resources. So far I've mostly said that the time required to load bombs, gain altitude, and return put a hard limit on the utility of bombing a castle, so that really, having an 'air force' and 'air superiority' was no better than gaining engine superiority (meaning your siege weapons had knocked out the castles siege weapons).

If you think about it though, if bombing from 20,000 feet up means you might half the time hit a 500' circle, then bombing from 1000 feet up might mean a 25' circle. Much of the difficulty from bombing from altitude was owed to the speed of the bomber combined with upper altitude winds.

Trying to bombard from orbit, more or less, with unguided and unpowered missiles is hopelessly inaccurate. Even now we don't know where a satellite is coming down, witness the recent Chinese device, let alone being able to hit something with one.

I figure a civilization that is capable of developing magical space travel is capable of using divination magic - upgraded versions of 'true strike' - to predict the correct release point to deorbit something from with a sophistication equal to or greater than a modern computer simulation. Further, if you are deorbiting something of sufficient size - say a rock the size of a castle - you don't need to worry about city block accuracy. Getting something within a mile or two would probably do the trick. I guess the point though is that you eventually run out of convenient sufficiently sized rocks?

Besides which, is the orbital mechanics of Spelljammer really as complicated as the real world? I'm not that familiar with Spelljammer, but I always got the impression they explicitly simplified the physics.

Basically, I'm just curious to see if you've had experience with players trying these sorts of things.

lewpuls

Hero
'jammers can hover. That makes it much easier to bomb accurately, if you're only a thousand feet (or 20,000) up and not under attack (as opposed to bombers flying 150 mph and being shot at).

I suppose it might help to find a way in the rules that doesn't allow 'jammers to hover. . . kind of like sharks must always be in motion.

Aelryinth

Explorer
This article highlights one of the main weaknesses of fantasy games: the lack of broad defensive magic (stopping the fun stuff) vs offensive magic (adding the fun stuff).

The key to all this is having relatively cheap and easy to get defensive magical fields.

1) Stillflight Fields. Anything that can't fly with physics cannot fly in a Stillflight field. That includes polymorphed people... you lose lift and head for the ground.
Aerial bombing thus becomes not a problem, dragons won't come near cities and fortifications with such defenses, and infiltration by any form becomes much harder.
The only version of this spell in D&D was a 6th level Wingbind. You can fly at level three, but you can't stop things from flying until 12?

2) Interdiction fields: Stopping dimensional shenanigans should be MUCH easier than performing them! Reinforcing the dimensions so things cannot be Summoned on top of you, whizbang teleporters pop in to kill you, and immaterial/ethereal naughty word cannot pass through your walls and kill you should be EASIER than such attack modes, not harder. Proof against Teleportation was a 3rd level spell, but there were Jaunts and things you could take at level 1, and Forbiddance is an insane level 5 spell with a very small AoE.
Make large-scale Interdiction fields a thing, and suddenly Gates in the center of town, teleporting mage raids, and spectre bombs become almost impossible.
Also, the combination of 1 and 2 makes it REALLY hard for lawbreakers to get away (and adventurers).

#1 above shuts down the spelljammer threat from above, and throwing out the spell on a battlefield could spell its immediate doom... not to mention dropping that mighty dragon back to the cold hard earth.

#3) Anti-Charm fields should be a thing. Suppressing Charms is a level 1 effect... take that single power, explode it out, and suddenly you're citizenry is immune to mind control. Horrifying!

#4) Spell Engines. Yeah, remember that level 8 spell? No spellcasting in a HUGE area of effect (10' radius per caster level). Shuts down ALL spellcasting in its area. Sure, it was easy to destroy (touch it wiht a magic item)... but not if you simply sealed it inside a wall, since its effect radiated through stone.
Cast some sealed spell engines throughout a city, and there's no spellcasting whatsoever, while at the same time being very pleasant for a spellcaster to stay in. Specific regions set aside to cast spells in would be known and easily monitored.
Seed the area around your town with them, and things outside the walls can't Cast on you, either.

---In short, the easiest way to settle down these powerful offensive magical effects is to make equally powerful defensive magical effects that utterly neutralize them, which is exactly what would happen in a magical world.
If your enemy can fly with magic, it should be EASIER to make them not-fly, the natural state, than it would be to make them fly. That's just common sense, so go run with it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads