Would a campaign set in Greyhawk...

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
...deter you from playing in the Group? I ask because I'm torn between making another homebrew (which can be time consuming) or going the so-called lazy route and run using Greyhawk. I've moved across country and, as such, would be starting a new Face-to-Face group (my Fantasy Grounds group is perfectly happy running around Greyhawk but we've also known each other for 25+ years.)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If I am playing...I would say the DM's choice of campaign world would likely almost never dissuade me from playing.

As for Greyhawk specifically, it would not deter me, there are plenty of stories there for my characters.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
A better question is - would you want to play with someone it would deter?
Oooo, that is a good question. Probably... not. No. But I'm really just trying to test the water temp to using another pre-made other than FR (a setting that's lore is known to me no more than what is in the SCAG).

However, you have made my post-call sleep-deprived mind chug on more than one cylinder. Thanks!

Shiroiken

Legend
It wouldn't for me, but I'm a grognard who loves Greyhawk. I don't really follow the canon story though, having reverted to Gygaxian Greyhawk (using the 1983 boxed set as by baseline). I like Gygax's idea of everyone starting from the same point in the world.

Out of curiosity, why would someone not want to play in Greyhawk? The only complaint that I've heard about it is that it's "boring" because it doesn't have any special features like Eberron, Dark Sun, or Planescape have. I understand there's some hate for the Realms (I don't agree, but at least I understand it), but I've not really seen any hate for Greyhawk. It really is an easy starting point for a game, since it mostly just provides a framework for the DM to build off of.

ccs

41st lv DM
Personally, no. I'm fine with GH, FR, DL, Eberon, Mystara.
Kara Tur, Maztica, & Al-Quadim & the like would be of lesser interest - because I'm not familiar enough with them/thier base mythologies to make a decent character without alot of effort.
Dark Sun? Not really my thing - I don't like psionics. So we're I to play in a DS game I would NOT play a psionic.
Ravenloft (as a campaign setting), Spelljammer, & Planescape? No.

But if your starting a new game in a new town, don't you think you should poll your actual perspective players?
(Or did I misinterpret that & Face to Face is an online thing?)

While I certainly have settings I like more than others, and a few I even actively don't care for, I can't imagine that even the latter would prevent from playing with a group I otherwise wanted to game with. The setting is merely a starting point, after all.

jgsugden

Legend
If you moved and are not playing online, you're likely playing with a new group. Get to know them and find out what they want. They may be interested in prewritten module, which can be a nice change of pace for those of us that make our own worlds usually.

I can't see why not. The PHB mentions the various Greyhawk racial variants and gives a list of the major GH deities at the end, so even a new player would be able to easily create a GH character. Should they insist on a tiefling, well, their backstory can somehow be related to Iuz or the Great Kingdom. Only dragonborn pose a real issue, but that's something that could be worked around between player and DM.

Remove ads