D&D 5E Text-play

plisnithus8

Adventurer
As a DM I've been loving keep our weekly campaign going by using text messaging (we have started calling it text-play) to continue storylines between sessions, making splitting the party and having solo adventures free of meta-gaming.

I think it started when I got tired of players missing and wanted to find a way to have their character do something alone while the rest of the party was playing. I let him go to a nearby village and find out some information.
At the next session, he had something to contribute, but - even more fun - he decided to not share all of the information he had discovered and embellish other parts.

Now we sometimes even have groups of 2 or 3 characters doing things on text. As the DM I find myself jumping between 2 or more group threads at times simultaneously. It takes a little work to make the timing work out so that there aren't paradoxes because of them doing things that wouldn't make sense with what the other groups are doing. What I'm loving the new challenge.

Obviously, if we end a real session in a battle or cliff-hanger, we don't text-play (although those weeks seem seem very long now).

I try to subtly steer these text-sessions away from deadly battles so player's aren't tempted to fudge rolls and so I don't end up killing a PC away from the table. So usually these are discovery sessions, more role-playing than fighting.
But I do have players that are quick on the trigger so there have been battles.

A few players don't have time or just aren't interested. I usually just tell them they have a rather uneventful time doing whatever one thing they say their character might be doing. For example, one said his player was going fishing. We took a minute and brainstormed what kinds of fish he caught. That was good enough for him. Another player said she had a busy week coming up so I told her a carnival troupe invited her bard to join them on a trip to the Village of Barovia in exchange for a sword cane. I actually ended up telling her that trip didn't end uneventfully: the village had been over run by zombies who killed all in the troupe except her.

I also emphasize that I never expect text responses. I understand that lives are busy and variable. We usually text back and forth in spurts, sometimes late into the night.

I can throw in images cropped from adventure maps or magical item descriptions or NPC visages.

The best part of the week is still when we get together at the table, but we've found the anticipation of sharing information (and misinformation) enhances the enjoyment even more.

Shiroiken

Legend
I have done this with email, allowing for some complex scenes to occur away from the table. It can be useful if you have stuff going on that doesn't require the whole party and everyone is good with it.

Eis

Explorer
I've considered this with a few of my players. We have a big group of early 20's players and they often are missing a couple of people so I would like to keep everyone involved and invested. We already use groupme for scheduling sessions and usually have someone using discord to join us. That part (playing by webcam) seems cumbersome to me but they seem to all enjoy our sessions so that's what matters of course

Irda Ranger

First Post
Track down a chat bot that will roll dice for you. They exist and you can invite them to a group chat. I run a campaign using a play-by-post where we make the rolls in the group chatroom using a dicebot. "Dicebot roll 1d20+7 sword attack", etc.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Track down a chat bot that will roll dice for you. They exist and you can invite them to a group chat. I run a campaign using a play-by-post where we make the rolls in the group chatroom using a dicebot. "Dicebot roll 1d20+7 sword attack", etc.

We have dice apps on our phones that work well enough. I used to have some players that I had concerns about not seeing their dice rolls (they would even take pictures of their roll as if that would prove it), but I trust my current group.
And I try to avoid major plot points or life and death situations in text-play if possible.

Another thing I've found too is that some of my players that don't talk much at the table rally come alive on text where they don't feel pressure to speak immediately or with a character voice.

I have done this with email, allowing for some complex scenes to occur away from the table. It can be useful if you have stuff going on that doesn't require the whole party and everyone is good with it.

Ditto. Also, when the party gets some rare "Downtime", I'll often handle that (using the rules from XGtE) over email and then we all summarize the results at the start of the next session as the next adventure is about to begin.

Fanaelialae

Legend
One of my groups uses a private Facebook group as the hub for organizing our sessions. We'll frequently RP, and handle scenes and downtime via posts and comments. It works fairly well, as long as folks stay organized (sometimes comments go off tangent or branch and that can make things hard to follow).

What nice is that campaign primers and other handouts can also be uploaded and shared.

Shiroiken

Legend
One of my groups uses a private Facebook group as the hub for organizing our sessions. We'll frequently RP, and handle scenes and downtime via posts and comments. It works fairly well, as long as folks stay organized (sometimes comments go off tangent or branch and that can make things hard to follow).

What nice is that campaign primers and other handouts can also be uploaded and shared.
I wanted to do something like this, but unfortunately most of my group doesn't use Facebook. We discussed Google+, but myself and another were not fans. We use Google Drive for documents, and keep discussions in Skype.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I wanted to do something like this, but unfortunately most of my group doesn't use Facebook. We discussed Google+, but myself and another were not fans. We use Google Drive for documents, and keep discussions in Skype.

We have always used text and have seen no drawbacks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases