Where Are All the Dungeon Masters?

In light of the Labor Day celebrations happening in the U.S., now's a good time to look at the amount of effort tabletop role-playing takes. Is it holding the hobby back from a bigger audience?

[h=3]Why Oh Why Won't They DM?[/h]Dungeons & Dragons and many tabletop role-playing games that debuted after its release have struggled with an inherent part of its structure: one of its participants has a disproportionate share of the game's work. This isn't to say that players can't help, but the structure of the referee role as envision by co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arenson created a very different form of play for one "player." What this means is that there are always more players than Dungeon Masters (DMs) and Game Masters (DMs) -- by necessity, the game is built this way -- and as tabletop RPGs grow in popularity, a GM shortage is a real possibility.

The GM challenge stems from a variety of factors, not the least of which being the level of organizational skills necessary to pull off playing not just one character, but several. In Master of the Game, Gygax outlined the seven principal functions of a DM:

These functions are as Moving Force, Creator, Designer, Arbiter, Overseer, Director, and Umpire/Referee/Judge (a single function with various shades of meaning). The secondary functions of the Game Master are Narrator, Interpreter, Force of Nature, Personification of Non-Participant Characters, All Other Personifications, and Supernatural Power.

With a list like that, it's no wonder that potential DMs find the role intimidating! Spencer Crittenden, the DM for HarmonQuest, summarizes why it's so challenging to be a Dungeon Master:

Being a DM, like being a ref, means acknowledging you will make mistakes while still demanding respect for the authority you have over the game. It means taking charge and reducing distractions, it means observing everyone to get a sense of their feelings and levels of engagement, and keeping people engaged and interested. This is not easy, especially for beginners. There's a billion things to keep track of on your side of the DM Screen: maps, monsters, rules, dialogue, etc.

It's a lot, but there's hope.
[h=3]The Best Way to Learn[/h]D&D's style of play was unique: part improvisation, part strategic simulation, with no end game. But the game's popularity has increasingly made the idea of playing D&D less foreign to new players as other forms of gaming have picked up the basic elements of play, from board games to card games to video games. The idea of playing an elf who goes on adventure with her companions is no longer quite so novel.

That familiarity certainly made it easier for the game to be accepted by the general public, but learning to play the game is best experienced first-hand, something not many future DMs have a chance to do. Enter video.

Thanks to the rise of live streaming like Twitch and video channels like YouTube, prospective DMs can watch how the game is actually played. In fact, the sheer volume of video viewers has begun to influence Kickstarters on the topic and even merited mention by the CEO of Hasbro. If the best way to learn is by watching a game, we now have enough instructional videos in spades to satisfy the demand.

And yet, if this thread is any indication, there still aren't enough DMs -- and it's likely there never will be. After all, knowing how to play and having the time, resources, and confidence to do so are two different things, and not everyone wants to put in the effort. That's why there's an International GMs Day, conceived on this very site.

But you don't have to wait until March 4 to say thanks. If you ended up playing a game this weekend, it's worth thanking the people who help make our games possible. To all the GMs and DMs out there, thank you for everything you do!

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

I was exclusively a player for my first decade of gaming (other than a 6 session DM stint that I was happy to get out of as soon as I could). Then I took a break from gaming and the only real way to get a group going again was to offer to run a game myself.

Our current group has 7 people total group has 6 players and a DM. Of those 3 of us have DM'd campaigns.

I DM'd exclusively for the group from about 2006 until 2014, but the last 3 campaigns have been run by 2 others in the group, which allowed me to run a PC for the first time since about 2001! It's been awesome to sit on the players' side of the table for a bit and the other 2 have enjoyed their turns in the DM's seat.

Being able to rotate DMs also helps alleviate burnout as well, so it's worked out great for all of us.

ogro

First Post
Nice words!!
I my group we may be living some rare situation. We are 7 players, and we keep "fighting" to decide who will DM each game session. 4 of us are DM and there is one more to come, just waiting some schedule rift.

I started playing as DM in 1995. I DM since them. I love it, I would never quit DMing. From D&D, to Mutant, Degenesis, Star Wars, Aquelarre.....I am addicted!!!

Schmoe

Adventurer
Probably 90%+ of my time playing D&D has been as a DM. While it's fun to take a turn on the player's side for a while, I'm inevitably drawn back behind the screen. It's such a fantastic creative outlet that I then get to share with others. I find the DM role to be a wonderfully fulfilling role that allows me to draw people in, help them find delight, wonder, and drama, and create a shared experience in scenarios that test boundaries of strategy, tactics, empathy, and ethics.

I don't recall ever feeling any trepidation about being a DM. In fact, I remember dragging my friends and family into the game so that I could DM for them, because I had such a desire to explore this game and I needed willing subjects, er partners :)

My advice for anyone who thinks they would like to try DM'ing is to just do it. Don't be afraid to make mistakes - after 30 years as DM I still make them all the time! Remember that the game, at its core, is just about a group of friends sitting down to have fun together. Nothing more, nothing less. There are hours and hours of videos you can watch and texts you can read, but reading it all can be overwhelming. Don't stress about the finer points. There are DM'ing advice articles out there that stress me out when I read them, and I walk away feeling "Uggh, I could never live up to those standards." And yet I still love to DM, I still think I do a pretty good job, and everyone at the table always has a great time. Once you have some experience, if you read an article and think "Wow, that really helps to solve a problem I've been having," then great! Use that advice! Otherwise, just file it away and carry on.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For our games, when the session is over, we all shake the GM’s hand and thank him for a great game. It’s a minor courtesy, but it’s important to recognize the level of effort that goes into creating challenges, remembering story detail and keeping it consistent, and for putting up with our hijinks at the table for 4 hours.

On the subject of creating new GMs, I think it’s imperative to encourage every player to give it a try to GM at least one session, where they are willing. First, it helps every player to properly appreciate what goes into running the game - seeing how both sides of the table operate makes for a better player, in my opinion. Second, it gives GMs who are GMs the majority of the time a chance to be a player once in a while, and lowers the chance of burnout by the GM who is the lone GM at some tables. Last, it gives a player a chance to see if they like the idea of being a GM - perhaps fear is the only thing stopping that person, and gaining the experience or running at least once gives them a taste of it, and lets them see if they want to try it.

pemerton

Legend
This is in General RPG, not D&D/5e, so . . .

There are plenty of RPGs out there that don't require a lot of prep, or even any prep. I GMed one yesterday - Cthulhu Dark - which allowed the 3 players to create their PCs withint about 5 minutes total, and which allowed the four of us to run a CoC session over the course of about 3 hours.

Prince Valiant is a little bit more rules-complex than Cthulhu Dark, but nothing like 5e in rules complexity. I've run two sessions of that system with no prep beyond learning the rules and flilpping through scenario books (each scenario is about 2 pages).

For these games, the main skill a GM needs is coming up with story elements that will push things along. And it helps for players to be story-ready also. But it's nothing like what Gygax describes in the quote in the OP!

I have been GMing and playing for 35+ years now. I still enjoy GMing as much as I ever did. I don't get to do it as much as I would like, though, because I have had a hard time in recent years putting a group together that is willing to play anything but D&D (any edition) or Pathfinder. I run games at conventions, but the spots are increasingly being taken up by "organized play."

hawkeyefan

Legend
Rules system and the desired play experience are huge factors in this regard, but generally speaking, I think that GMing isn’t as hard as it’s often made out to be. Or at least it doesn’t need to be. I don’t think there’s any ceiling to how complex one can make the job, but I don’t think that’s a necessity.

I’d say that people insisting that being a DM or GM is difficult is actually more of an entry barrier than the actual level of difficulty.

AngryTiger

Explorer
I been GM since day 1 when i started playing. I learned by doing, there was no tutorials back then, and we didn't have anyone teach us either, so i took turns GM:ing with a friend until we learned. I always loved being GM more than a player, but these days i rarely GM anymore since i can't find any players in my area.

DM Howard

Explorer
I think another issue is that there are so many people that just want to show up and be entertained. I always get a kick out of seeing posts like: "5 Players Looking For A Game". Hello? You have the makings of a game right there. I'd like to say that many of these people are afraid to DM, but I think the truth is that they just want to consume.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases