ZEITGEIST Subrail Attack

ediz

Explorer
Hi My PCs are very clever and have cracked the subrail code. I do not know yet how they want to tackle this situation but what happens if they want to call in some favors and just lay in wait. How would the dwarves react? Oh and why does it say I misspelled dwarves?

In normal English, the plural is dwarfs. Tolkien preferred the word dwarves, and it stuck for fantasy.

If the PCs just send cops in, the dwarves kill them with traps, and then they set off their bomb.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
What happens if the players prepare in advance is complicated.
How much advance warning do they have?
What stage of the plan are the dwarves at when the players start prepping?
How obvious is the players prep? Do the dwarves have inside men in the police or military ? Are they relying on what they can observe to warn them?
I have not done my detailed prep for this module as I am still on the train journey but if the PC's get information you need to sort out the above and then work out the terrorists reactions, I assume they continue the plan until they know it is blown then improvise as they are suicidal fanatics I think they continue the attack but if the subrail station is an obvious deathtrap they may decided to take their bomb and blow up somewhere else, pick somewhere were the showdown can be epic I like the Opera House , of if your city has one a children's hospital , maybe the local equivlant of Eton a really big school for the children of the elite. Basically anywhere spectacular with security unable to fight of the terrorists which probably means anywhere except the Governor's residence , RHC HQ, or military bases. Maybe combine the sneaking the bomb in with diversionary sniper attacks in other public places, or drop the bomb and hijack as many trains and ferries as possible and sink/crash them for maximum casualties historically ferry accidents are great for bodycounts.
Hopefully your players will be subtle and keep things quiet until they can locate the main terror cell and kill them otherwise I would make things messy.

ediz

Explorer
Hmm, it is rough because they just stopped Ekossigan and to do another attack on kids seems an overload of bad juju. I am waiting to see what the come up with. They left the area dormant. I am not sure when the dwarves would set up before the shindig. I am waiting on how they want to handle it. If the attack is supposed to step off at 9am, do they set the traps the day before a couple of hours before or so. They just took down Kell and he won't be out of consciousness until after this scenario. So I do not know if they will set up afterwards or wait until an hour before it starts.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
It is entirely possible the terrorists walk into the players trap, or if their cunning plan fails they instead launch a frontal assault on the RHC HQ. These are not sane and rational dwarves and most fanatic terrorists are dreadful at strategy emphasizing martyrdom and attacking relatively hard targets and trying to get themselves killed gloriously in the act so there is no reason they should do anything your players may find distasteful. You just need to decide if they do anything to tip the terrorists off, if they don't then it is a nice clean ambush by the pc's the more back up they bring in the more likely something goes wrong.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
As it happens my work PC is offline for 2 days so I have taken a holiday and started my prep for episode 5 so I can now give a better answer about the subrail tunnel attack.

I presume your players have recovered the information that suggests the terrorists will attack via secret tunnels into the subway station while the ceremony for opening the station is going on. They also probably discovered information about the beasts being smuggled in to the city on earlier days and presuming whatever they did about that did not make it obvious they know too much it should be fairly easy for them to prepare for the terrorists without giving themselves away.
As the RHC they can probably take command of security at the station they will need to tell Stansfield but he will probably let them do so but insist the ceremony go ahead to avoid embarrasment and hoping that will keep the constables from causing trouble for the Ob and maybe let the terrorists kill them (he can hope). Given there is a lot of activity the pc's and a small number of reinforcements should have no trouble setting up an ambush in the tunnels, the terrorists are watching the station so bringing in too many soldiers will give them away unless they think to bring them in at another station and along the tunnel.
The terrorist diversionary attack above ground will go in and then the terrorists emerge form the tunnels Zubov and probably 20-25 minions (he had 16 as written but that assumes some losses before the pc's turn up) the bomb will also not be armed in the tunnels if your pc's have some goof AOE attacks is should be a slaughter.

Bascally the terrorist attack plan is great unless they have lost the element of suprise in which case they are setting themselves up for certain death, unless your pc's are as unsubtle as Elephants they should be able to pull of an ambush if they know about the tunnels and the time of the attack.

ediz

Explorer
Well, they deciphered the plot and sent the Coal Tongue and sank the Chorniya Byorza... I felt it was a good opportunity for them to get a feel of how bad ass the Coaltongue is before the Golem almost sinks her.

I figure that if the PCs want to set up before 6am they can set up an ambush in the tunnels and the dwarves will set up after that time. There will also be dwarves in the crowd coming in with their invitations. The PCs have a pretty good relationship with Kvarty from adv 3 and earlier in this one. He will try to fight to get the first shot at Zubov.

Remove ads