Best way to sell a HUGE gaming collection?

Svetgar

First Post
First and foremost, this isn't a thinly veiled attempt at advertising. I am in genuine need of advice, and I don't know where else to turn. You can see by my join date that I post rarely, but I do read often, and I feel I can get the best advice from the ladies and gentlemen of this forum.

Before I begin, please allow me to vent a bit:

I've spent over 25 years collecting all sorts of RPGs, from White Wolf games, to Cthulhu and Palladium and other lesser known items, but mainly focused on Dungeons and Dragons, specifically AD&D 2nd edition. At last counting I had around 85 to 90 percent of all products published by TSR for 2nd edition, slightly less for 1st edition, and more for 4th edition. Maybe this is me getting older. Maybe it is because I was in a severe accident and hospitalized for nearly a week for surgery a few years back. I'm not really sure what the catalyst is. Whatever the reason, I have slowly come to the conclusion that my extensive RPG collection has gone from being my pride and joy to a millstone around my neck. Which may sound a bit harsh, but I don't know how else to describe it. But I just don't really care about them anymore. I mean, I don't want to throw them out or anything like that, but they just don't spark the same joy in me. I have a room in my house dedicated to all my books and games and I've gone from seeing it as awesome to not even bothering to go into it anymore. When I was a young teenager, I dreamed of having a room dedicated to "Dungeons and Dragons". Now I do and I don't even care about it. When I do go into the room I feel sad and overwhelmed, like the collection owns me now. I haven't even played a game in 20 years. I don't even take the books off the shelf and look at them. I've items in boxes that I literally haven't seen in a decade. But part of me feels guilty at the idea of getting rid of it like I am somehow betraying... something I guess. I've hung onto it all these years thinking "I can have these great gaming sessions with my children when they get older". Well, they are older now and they don't care about tabletop RPGs that much. And even if they did, I would probably just play 5th edition anyways.

So, that out of the way, what would be the best way to sell all this stuff? Ebay is the obvious answer, but one I dislike because of all the fees involved. I could take it to a local game shop and dump it all for pennies on the dollar (which is what my wife would do if I died). Is there a RPG selling forum? Gaming convention I can take it all to? Swap meet? Facebook (ugh)? I really don't know. I realize I will get more selling piece by piece and I'm OK with doing that, although the prospect of going through it all seems overwhelming. I just don't want leftovers when I'm done. I think that would be worse, somehow.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any input.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Is there a gaming store in your area that would take your collection - maybe a part at a time if the store finds the whole lot overwhelming - and sell it on consignment? You might not get "full value" for it (but then you probably won't anyway, no matter what you do) but you could at least set the prices and see what sells.

Also, and a bit sadly, be prepared for there being probably 10-20% of your collection that you might not even be able to give away.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've purged my RPG collection several times, only keeping what I play, reasonably think I will play, and very few nostalgia items. First thing I did in ever case was offer it, free, to any friends who play games. I'd rather someone gets to try something that I liked then make a few bucks back, though luckily I can make that choice. I also told them that if they had specific items they wanted to pick up for friends of friends to go ahead.

Post up pictures on social media and offer it up. "You need to pick it up, but otherwise it's yours. If you want to throw a few bucks my way please do so, but don't feel obligated".

There are also charities that might want them. A friend passed last year who was an RPG author. A bunch of his material went up on a special Bundle fo Holding from his private stock. A bunch of other games he had got donated to a charity that teaches gaming as socialization and skills for kids. And the rest, about 18 big plastic bins, went to friends who had a pot luck party and took what they would use. (He had a rather large collection.)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Some FLGS take donations (bonus: writeoff!) both to sell for profit and to keep a library on hand from drop-in play.

Svetgar

First Post
Consignment at a local store isn't a bad idea. I'd not thought about that. As far as giving it away.... eh, no. Firstly, I don't know anyone who would even be interested, and secondly I'd rather have the money.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Craigslist
FLGS
Half Price Books (if you have them in your area)

But I can't help but ask why you have not played in 20 years? I did the same thing, but I had sold given away most of my stuff before I stopped playing. Now that I'm playing again I wished I kept some of it but I'm not really a collector and have no issues culling my collection.

I wonder if it feels like a millstone around your next because it is not tied to any please social activity. Maybe you would think differently about it all if you ran the occasional game.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Maybe you could try someone like Noble Knight Games.
This is what I did. It wasn't be best in terms of money return. It was, however, the best (I think) in terms of ease.

1. I sent them a list of the games I had that I wanted to get rid of, a description of the condition of the items.
  2. They sent me an email with the amount they were willing to pay.
  3. I agreed and they sent me shipping labels.
  4. Dropped the stuff off at Fedex.
  5. Received the money after they got the packaged and checked out the items.
  6. Done.

Easy. Didn't take me much out of my way. No worries or multiple trips to the post office or what not.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Besides what is listed above, talk to an auctioneer. The firm may know of people (collectors or current-players) who will pay you for your old items. If not, they can take things off your hands.

Also see if FLGS would take all or some for their own stock (and future re-sale). My FLGS has older and quite not-mint-condition sourcebooks that look like they were used in play; this provides a cozy lived-in feeling that buying new off the shelf cannot match. If FLGS hosts group sessions, a library of source material would be a bonus to their 'added value proposition' as a host.

Just because your collection is not 5e does not mean it is obsolete; many people are converting the old modules to 5e. Plot lines and monsters and NPCs still are relevant, even if the pile of stats isn't.

Don't be afraid to keep one or two items as your own nostalgia. A book or two, your favorite character's sheet, and a favorite mini - or some other knick-nack - is not overwhelming the way a whole bookshelf of unused stuff can be.

Your kids and grandkids might be interested in some / all of your collection, too. (Probably no money with this.) Both as a game to play and as a remembrance of visiting your place - and of YOU.

Remove ads