Best D20 Space Games (not fantasy)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm wondering what games people think are the best d20 space games, which are not fantasy games in space. No spells, no magic, not looking for anything like spells unless it involves psionics. So no on Starfinder.

The first that comes to my mind is the old d20 Future, which I do think is a pretty good game. I'm wondering if there are others though that might be better or have ongoing support or simply more support? Others which come to mind is d20 Star Wars, which could work. I don't think Stars without Number is d20 based but it's pretty close as an OSR game and I've heard good things.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The only d20-based space game I ever had interest in was Farscape and it suffered from the d20 STL license (requiring a D&D PHB to play). It's a game that I think would have benefited greatly from being a standalone product released under the OGL, but most publishers hadn't reached that stage yet (i.e. most were still utilizing the d20 STL license).

TheSword

Legend
Imperium Maledictum seems very solid. Very solid indeed. I’m going to try very hard to pitch that to my group for next year.

It’s the spiritual successor to Dark Heresy.

Staffan

Legend
I'm assuming you mean d20 as in D&D-related, not just "uses a d20". In that case, I think that as discussed in the bespoke/universal systems thread, it's hard to take the D&D out of d20. But if that's the kind of thing you want, I think Star Wars Saga edition was pretty neat. You could definitely see the d20 Modern DNA in it (most of the base classes had the same structure, getting bonus feats from a class list every other level and picking a Talent every other other level), but with some stuff that would later come in 4e (static defenses instead of saves, some encounter abilities, fairly competent skills).

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
I'm wondering what games people think are the best d20 space games, which are not fantasy games in space. No spells, no magic, not looking for anything like spells unless it involves psionics. So no on Starfinder.

The first that comes to my mind is the old d20 Future, which I do think is a pretty good game. I'm wondering if there are others though that might be better or have ongoing support or simply more support? Others which come to mind is d20 Star Wars, which could work. I don't think Stars without Number is d20 based but it's pretty close as an OSR game and I've heard good things.
Did you ever play or GM a d20 Future game (assuming you mean the 3.x derivation)?

If you're looking for straight-up Sci-Fi d20 games, from the 3.x era there are a few. Traveller d20, and Fading Suns d20 aren't bad ports of the original settings/systems, though I think the originals are better.

For the 5e era, the best I can do is link you to DriveThruRPG

Assuming you literally mean the d20 system and not just games that primarily use a d20 (like Numenera or Alterity) two possibilities would be Traveller d20 and Bulldogs d20.

Remove ads