Spelljammer …Wait till you see Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (Spelljammer?)

Is that Boo the space-hamster I see?

Is that Boo the space-hamster I see?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
This looks very promising and I can't wait to read thru it.
[MENTION=6774924]machineelf[/MENTION] Maybe they offer a map of the Undermountain level and a short adventure to run in it?

machineelf

Explorer
This looks very promising and I can't wait to read thru it.
@machineelf Maybe they offer a map of the Undermountain level and a short adventure to run in it?

Well, Undermountain is 8 or 9 main levels, and multiple sub-levels. It's HUGE. I thought they had made the claim that this book would cover all of the levels. I took that to mean, it would cover them all exhaustively, which frankly would be impossible in a single book without cutting major corners. It looks like it's going to be more of an adventure that gives you a little glimpse of each level, but isn't going to be a sourcebook of the entire Undermountain.

I still think the adventure should be fun (hopefully), but it isn't quite what I was hoping for. Ah well.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Profile.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100218032659

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Well, Undermountain is 8 or 9 main levels, and multiple sub-levels. It's HUGE. I thought they had made the claim that this book would cover all of the levels. I took that to mean, it would cover them all exhaustively, which frankly would be impossible in a single book without cutting major corners. It looks like it's going to be more of an adventure that gives you a little glimpse of each level, but isn't going to be a sourcebook of the entire Undermountain.

I still think the adventure should be fun (hopefully), but it isn't quite what I was hoping for. Ah well.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Profile.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100218032659

Yah you are right I get what you mean. It seems at most it will be a quick gazeteer.

machineelf

Explorer
Huge sprawling megadungeons are supposed to have room for whatever the DM decides to include.

Who made that rule?

I'm not a big fan of mega-dungeons usually, although I don't mind one existing in the world with a history like undermountain. The largeness of it is part of the lore; something the adventures can get lost in if they choose to, but it's completely optional.

But if someone is going to publish a dungeon, whether large or small, give all the details. I can always change whatever I want as a DM, but I don't, frankly, get the idea that you're going to publish something incomplete for the DM to complete it. That's just me, though. Opinions differ.

R_J_K75

Legend
I have run Undermountain adventures in various editions. Problem I had was that it was just too big. The prepublished adventures were too linear and just letting your players roam wherever they wanted to was tough because so much of the dungeon isnt detailed. I found the only way to manage it was to section off and detail certain parts at a time, which the old boxed sets give you enough ideas to do. Probably what Ill end up doing with this book as well.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Exhaustively detailing something like Undermountain is counter productive I think. Huge sprawling megadungeons are supposed to have room for whatever the DM decides to include.

The 1,875 backers who pledged $165,722 on Kickstarted to bring FGG's Rapan Athuk to 5e disagree.

Reynard

Legend
The 1,875 backers who pledged $165,722 on Kickstarted to bring FGG's Rapan Athuk to 5e disagree.
Rapan Athuk isn't a megadungeon. It is a big awesome dungeon for sure, and lots of fun, but the term "megadungeon" has specific connotations. One of those connotations is that it is never finished.

dave2008

Legend

I am not sure where you got your information, but it has always been an adventure for 5th-20th level characters first and foremost. It was never claimed to be sourcebook for Undermountain. At least not be WotC, I am sure some forum poster's jumped to that conclusion (like OotA is a "sourcebook" for the UnderdarK)

Remove ads

Remove ads