D&D 5E Do bracers of archery benefit ranged spell attacks?

Gavin O.

First Post
The bracers of archery are an uncommon magic item that state:

"While wearing these bracers, you have proficiency with the longbow and shortbow, and you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls on ranged attacks made with such weapons."

If I'm a level 3 Warlock with the Improved Pact Weapon Invocation and I conjure a Shortbow as my pact weapon and cast Eldritch Blast using the shortbow as my Spellcasting Focus, do I get to add +2 to the damage roll(s) of that Eldritch Blast?

Gavin O.

First Post
I'd rule that yes, for that specific scenario, you do. But only because IPW lets you use said weapon as a foci.

Well that's really strong then, considering you can roll Eldritch Blast damage 8 times per round at level 17 (in combination with the Sorcerer's Quicken Spell), that's 16 damage.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Eh, it is a magic item, only works with a specific invocation of a specific pact, and only adds 16 damage while you've the Sorcery Points to burn, which requires levels in Sorcerer too.

EDIT: And technically doesn't work with Eldritch Blast, since EB doesn't have a material component.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I do not think the combo was what the developers were thinking of, but I would most likely allow in one of my campaigns. It is specific to a certain combo and character. When things start going so that every warlock does this is when it becomes a problem.

S'mon

Legend
The bracers of archery are an uncommon magic item that state:

"While wearing these bracers, you have proficiency with the longbow and shortbow, and you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls on ranged attacks made with such weapons."

If I'm a level 3 Warlock with the Improved Pact Weapon Invocation and I conjure a Shortbow as my pact weapon and cast Eldritch Blast using the shortbow as my Spellcasting Focus, do I get to add +2 to the damage roll(s) of that Eldritch Blast?

Is this using the shortbow as a weapon though? A spell focus is not a weapon IMO so I don't think this works out per RAW; the wording is too narrow.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Is this using the shortbow as a weapon though? A spell focus is not a weapon IMO so I don't think this works out per RAW; the wording is too narrow.

Doesn't matter, it's still being made with the weapon. Whether you're using that weapon as a weapon, foci, or camping aid it's still using the weapon.

Satyrn

First Post
I think it's really clear that the point of the bracers is to make you better at firing arrows from a bow.

So no, you don't get the bonus when casting eldritch blast if I'm DMing.

Shiroiken

Legend
EDIT: And technically doesn't work with Eldritch Blast, since EB doesn't have a material component.
This should be the end of the discussion for EB, since even if you'd agree that using the focus would be "using the weapon," you are not using the focus for the EB.

As for the intent of the discussion, while I would not allow it, I could understand a DM doing so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases