Dwarf Lore - sources about Vergadain, Dugmaren Brightmantle, and Dumathoin?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm getting back to adventure writing with an adventure involving the Dwarven Mountain (Outlands), which is the divine realm of the dwarf gods Vergadain (wealth, trickery, luck), Dugmaren Brightmantle (invention, discovery, scholarship), and Dumathoin (mining, secrets, underground exploration, funerary).

What are the best D&D books (any edition) that I should refer to as I'm writing this up?

Of course, for the realm itself there's the AD&D Planescape Campaign Setting boxed set, some mention in AD&D On Hallowed Ground, and a brief blurb in the AD&D Player's Primer to the Outlands.

What about the deities themselves? The most informative I've found so far has been AD&D Demihuman Deities. AD&D Monster Mythology has a few tidbits too. Anything else?

Many thanks, sages of ENWorld! :)

pemerton

Legend
What about the deities themselves? The most informative I've found so far has been AD&D Demihuman Deities. AD&D Monster Mythology has a few tidbits too. Anything else?
As far as I know the god Dumathoin was first mentioned in DDG under the entry for Moradin, but nothing was said about him except that he is the "god of secrets under mountains". Vergadain and Dumathoin were written up by Roger E Moore in Dragon 58, as part of his "point of view" and demihuman god series. As far as I know this was the first appearance of Vergadain. This is reprinted as part of Appendix S in Unearthed Arcana.

Dugmaren and Vergadain are listed as exarchs of Moradin in a chart in the 4e FRCG, but I don't think you're going to learn anything new from those entries!

Remove ads