D&D 5E yes, this again: Fighters need more non-combat options

There is slight hyperbole to the statement. It stands that in 90-95% of campaigns it has no use and the remaining 5-10% will be used once.

I wouldn't be comfortable letting any player take it without warning them that it doesn't have use.

Emphasis mine - Yep.

Anyway, different tables may feature different "usefulnesses" of the various skills, I suppose.

It may be edge, but my god its a great and gory example of roleplaying activity out of combat. Love it!

It really was a great moment at the table. In fact, my son's Half-Orc Assassin and his uncle's Human Diviner Wizard/Fighter were both proficient in Medicine and had a skill challenge to determine who would have the honors of extracting the gem. My brother-in-law's wizard won the mutually agreed upon PvP skill challenge, nearly killing the slaad during the extraction. Then they had a pet.

"Usefulness" be damned - some of the most memorable, fun moments at our tables happen because players did not take the "optimal" choice.

"We're not playing medieval simulator. And if we were then healing would be a long drawn out gruesome affair resulting in the death of most patients in these scenarios. In the rules of 5e the Medicine skill is useless. You can houserule it to be useful, but you can houserule anything."

Interesting debating style, quote a post and then block the user so they can't read your response... You clearly dont want to continue the discussion with me so thats fair enough. Posts are for reasons and for season. However what you're playing may be a different style of game to what some of us are playing, based on our influences and the balance of investigation and mystery in the game as DM Dave 1 explained.

Apparently he prefers an echo chamber for all his views, as I've been blocked as well. Too bad, as I've liked some of the things he's posted elsewhere.

Anyway, yeah, so some of the suggestions for Fighter class abilities I've seen here seem to be riffs off the soldier background - like knowing mercenaries and military organizations and the like. Backgrounds in 5e are ultimately flexible to help you create the type of character you want out of combat. From the PHB (p 125):

[SECTION]The sample backgrounds in this chapter provide both concrete benefits (features, proficiencies, and languages) and roleplaying suggestions.[/SECTION]

Emphasis mine - backgrounds can be created by the players and that is not considered homebrew.

So, if homebrew of a "new fighter" won't work at your table, create a unique background that adds benefits that will make your fighter shine out of combat. A reasonable DM should work with a player to make sure that the background is commensurate in power to other backgrounds in the PHB and let the player run with it.

Last edited:

Remove ads