Accidentally Attacking "Good" Monsters

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
With a few exceptions like devils and demons, this concept doesn't exist when I run. Some creatures will start hostile, some won't. But few are inherently good or evil that they can just be murderhobo'd off.

I've had plenty of encounters turn into talking that I hadn't expected, plenty turn into combat where I hadn't expected.

Now, there can be consequences. Kill a merchant and you might find yourself ostracized with a bounty on your head if someone notices. Same is true if it's in an elven tree-city, an isolated halfling village, a drow metropolis, or a hobgoblin trading post.

For my part, some of my groups have more likely to do the opposite, and decide that the evil monster will be their best friend, or their mount. Sometimes despite being in process of trying to tear their faces off.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Have we ever attacked a goodly monster (or NPC) by mistake? Hells yeah.

What did we do when we realized our mistake? Situationally dependent. Sometimes we'd try to revive it (assuming we could), sometimes we'd shrug and loot it and move on, sometimes we'd never know what we'd done until-unless the DM told us later out-of-character.

I

Immortal Sun

Outside of playing an evil campaign, I've never had a player attack a good NPC for good reasons. I've had a lot of jerk-holes attack good NPCs because "That's what my character would do!" but that's it.

Remove ads