A little help with Strength checks please

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
My assertion is that arguments for a ruling in the game based on realism are not very good ones. They might work at your table with your players, if you have to justify a ruling (which you shouldn't have to do if you're being consistent). It will rarely if ever work in forum discussions.

That's fair but that's basically the argument the OP brought, so in the absence of an actual rule it was always going to go there. We came to talk about an opinion on a topic for which their is no right or wrong so "It will rarely if ever work in forum discussions." is dependent on what your trying to achieve. If your trying to "win" and opinion discussion you lost before you started. If your trying to back up or explain your point of view and where it comes from then I think real world examples are a legitimate point of reference. It goes back to what I am was saying about players needing to relate to the 99% of D&D that is not magic. Wooden Table is still a wooden table and acts as a wooden table does. Wood breaks, splinters, and burns. You still sit in chairs and you still need to eat and drink.... until the 1% says the table is a mimic and your warlock patron has removed your need for food drink or sleep. So until your using magic in D&D, I expect everything mundane to work as it would in the mundane world and I expect player expectations to reflect that. So a player asking about mundane interaction between large opponent X grappling with smaller Player character Y without the use of a magical ability … it would be odd if the thread did not say "rule = this/not this, but IRL this might happen you could rule Y is also true or make Z adjustment." In this case their is no rule and its a GM perspective thing so your not going to "win" but you might adjust the GM perspective slightly with a result of instead of the GM giving advantage 100% of the time vs small opponents to 99% of the time... We came here to talk about our opinions on this opinion topic and we did. Yay us. lol.

Last edited:

alienux

Explorer
I think it’s a mistake to assume that a larger creature would have advantage, simply because the smaller creature is has the potential to be more nimble. The larger creature probably already has a significant bonus to their strength, simply by being large.

Oops, I meant to click "Give XP" for your post and accidentally clicked "Laugh."

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
And this is to say that the rules serve the DM not the other way round. The DM has to adjudicate the action (goal and approach) before turning to the rules. If the action can’t succeed then don’t roll dice.

It’s like with computers: garbage in - garbage out. The DM controls the quality of the inputs.

Remove ads