D&D storylines for a movie?

akr71

Hero
There's 3 obvious choices.

1. Dragonlance
2. Drizzt
3. Baldur's Gate games

Each of them have some of the most iconic and memorable characters. Raistlin and Tasslehoff are super memorable.
Drizzt is the standout from his stories, as well as Jarlaxle.
Minsc is the most iconic from Baldur's Gate. Ironically, Xan is probably the second most memorable/unique of the characters, since he featured much less than the others.

I agree, wholeheartedly. These 3 seem to be the logical choices.

I would save the DL for a bit - roll out 1 movie and see how it does. If it does well, then shoot for the moon and do the DL series. The Drizzt books also have a big following which would help, but who owns the rights to those characters? Salvatore or WotC? That leads me to Baldur's Gate - you could do a one-off movie, touch on some Realms lore and get out without too much problems.

aco175

Legend
Would Hasbro want to make a video game to come out the same time the movie is? Maybe a new chapter in one of those lines. Not what I would pick, but they have the base already and another game would sell as well.

Traycor

Explorer
I agree, wholeheartedly. These 3 seem to be the logical choices.

I would save the DL for a bit - roll out 1 movie and see how it does. If it does well, then shoot for the moon and do the DL series. The Drizzt books also have a big following which would help, but who owns the rights to those characters? Salvatore or WotC? That leads me to Baldur's Gate - you could do a one-off movie, touch on some Realms lore and get out without too much problems.

A while back, they wanted a tone like Guardians of the Galaxy for an ensemble movie, and it sounded like brand new characters/story set in the Forgotten Realms with the possibility of bringing in other D&D properties/worlds in future films. Since that time, a new writer has reworked the script and the old director is gone, so it could be anything at this point from a book adaptation to a new story to whatever else you can think of.

Traycor

Explorer
I dunno, I payed a lot more attention to this sort of thing when I were a lad and back then until a director was attached there was no point in getting excited and even then timelines meant nothing until a cast was also signed up.

That's true, but those timelines are usually set out a year or two because things are not firm. The original story that Screenrant credited as their source from ThatHashtagShow says that the execs were "buzzing" and set a shooting date window in as little as three months. That means several things on a technical level, but essentially it means they have a high confidence that the script is good enough that they can find some director and stick him/her on the project. Setting a window that close costs money, and they wouldn't risk that without a high level of confidence.

That may or may not be a good thing. Who knows how much control the director will have over their own film. But it means the gears are moving very quickly with lots of meetings are taking place to see who's interested. It's funny, but with the Vox Machina kickstarter being the hot thing right now, they are likely to land the key people they need because Hollywood works like that.

The biggest unknown is what happens if a big director steps in. Someone with clout could ask them to push back the shooting date.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
@Traycor, I would rather it pushed back and a big name director, or pushed back and a director given creative freedom. The more the suits micromanage the more likely it will be an empty void with no soul.

Galendril

Explorer
Whatever setting they choose, I hope the movie leans into all the fantasy tropes DnD is built on. I would like the heroes to sort of like Deadpool in that they realize they are part a ‘standard’ fantasy setting. Then, it should switch a quarter of the way through by breaking all the tropes.

That's true, but those timelines are usually set out a year or two because things are not firm. The original story that Screenrant credited as their source from ThatHashtagShow says that the execs were "buzzing" and set a shooting date window in as little as three months. That means several things on a technical level, but essentially it means they have a high confidence that the script is good enough that they can find some director and stick him/her on the project. Setting a window that close costs money, and they wouldn't risk that without a high level of confidence.

Well, the current official release date is in 2021, either July or November, so that is over two years from now. Even with a high level of CGI use, that is plenty of time to find a director, producer, cast, shooting locations, etc, and still get the movie out on time.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Guardians of the Galaxy really nailed it as a D&D movie for me. The rag tag group of flawed people come together to stop the threat with plenty of action and laughs and even a little heart on the way.

The old D&D story that most easily comes to mind when I think about something like that is Dragonlance. Loads of flawed characters, save the world, heart, and even humor.

And while Kender at the table are terribly annoying. Tasselfhoff was endearing (that's right you heard me!) for 3 books anyway.

Other idea is a crossover, about an alien ship of the Galactic Federation who is exploring a primitive planet, and they crashed by "unknown" causes. It would like like d20 Future meets D&D.

Remove ads