D&D storylines for a movie?

Oofta

Legend
Whatever setting they choose, I hope the movie leans into all the fantasy tropes DnD is built on. I would like the heroes to sort of like Deadpool in that they realize they are part a ‘standard’ fantasy setting. Then, it should switch a quarter of the way through by breaking all the tropes.

So a movie based on Order of the Stick? That could be interesting. :)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Lost Mine of Phandelver has a lot going for it. In particular, it's not a novel, it's a module, so the writers can make up any protagonists they want. It has a slightly problematic dark elf antagonist, but D&D is going to have to find some way to deal with that baggage eventually anyway.

Bastion of Broken Souls is a module I've never actually played, but I think Ashardalon is a fantastic villain, and this adventure is very high level so it could be the over-the-top self-aware gonzo-action-comedy that I am looking for.

The Holdenshire Chronicles, aka To Slay a Dragon, is a really great thirdparty module that follows the classic formula of town in trouble -> hexcrawl -> final dungeon. The nice thing here is that the big bad is a dragon who harries the party throughout their quest, and also the very flexible nature of the adventure would let movie writers shape events to fit the plot.

Traycor

Explorer
Well, the current official release date is in 2021, either July or November, so that is over two years from now. Even with a high level of CGI use, that is plenty of time to find a director, producer, cast, shooting locations, etc, and still get the movie out on time.

The story from Screenrant is quoting an exclusive story from ThatHashtagShow. In the original article they state they want to start filming in late summer/early fall. That's only 3-5 months away. If they expect to start filming in as little as three months, that is a VERY tight timeline. You have to finish the script, design the characters/make-up, costume design, location scout, built sets, work all the schedules, etc, etc, etc, in a tiny amount of time.

For a big budget movie that's the equivalent of starting the film tomorrow.

Remove ads