Potential for games and systems for solo roleplaying?

VGmaster9

Explorer
Anyone else think that solo roleplaying could one day be popular? We could see more games and systems that specialize in solo gaming sometime down the road. What would make it great that it would be like a film with a single protagonist, but you get to create the story! What kinds of genres would you like to see used in solo roleplaying?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I'm going to be honest. If I had to choose between Solo playing a table top like RPG, and a video game RPG, I am going to go with the video game. Players already get to create the story with their actions, reactions, and interactions. Doing that on my own would just be... weird, and boring.

More power to anyone else who may enjoy it, but I certainly feel RPGs in a table top format should be social games.

Back in the day, Tunnels & Trolls did a bunch of a solo adventure modules. Even TSR published a few. None of them really set the world on fire for solo play. But then there were the Lone Wolf and other Choose Your Own Adventure books, which were a movement in and of themselves. And what are those, arguably, if not a form of solo adventure?

These days, yeah, I agree with Istbor in that videogames pretty much fill the solo RPG role. Heck, you can even play D&D via the Neverwinter MMO.

I

Immortal Sun

Wait, like where there's only one player and a DM or where there's only just one person at all?

Bluenose

Adventurer
The Mythic RP Engine is supposed to be compatible with any system and is designed to make it playable solo. I've seen a few "actual play" write-ups for games using it. It does seem to work better for systems where solitary action is a common trope - so King Arthur's/Charlemagne's knights, Conan and similar heroic S&S characters, fictional spies, western gunfighters, John Carter, individual superheroes et al - rather than team player' RPGs like D&D. Personally I think a James Bond RPG emphasising solo play would be pretty interesting (the old one needed a team, and Spycraft is very D&D-team-action).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Roleplaying games solo leave out the roleplaying - at that point it's a mechanical exercise. Can be a lot fun, but at that point I'd probably prefer a computer game or something to handle it, and possibly add in other challenges (coordination, etc) in addition.

Now, i admit that back with AD&D i used the random dungeon creator and rolled up dungeons to explore. but that was before I even had access to computer games like Nethack. Nowadays we have wonderful tools to help with solo play.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Ugh solo games. I don't mind 1-1 games, do them a lot. But those solo game book where the story is split up in so many often unneeded paragraphs... Go away, demons! I normally get lost after a first few paragraphs and it's too frustrating.

Remove ads