D&D 5E How Do You Learn How To Design A High Level Adventure?

No matter what level, the story, plot, characters and DM performance are still more important than monsters, traps and stuff like that.
Just keep in mind what kind of obstacles the PCs can overcome too easily with high level magic.

Oofta

Legend
I've never really seen that much difference between high level and mid level games and use the same tactics. Roughly
  • Vary the goal of the encounters. It shouldn't always be kill everything that moves.
  • Do what makes sense for the scenario. If the BBEG should have an army, he has an army.
  • Send in waves.
  • Use mob rules if you have a large number of enemies that in small numbers are not a threat.
  • Don't have enemies attack in fireball formation unless you want them to be fireballed.
  • Enemies know their terrain and take advantage of it.
  • If you're having problem damaging the PCs, up the attack modifier or attack with different energy types. Give your super-soldier orcs +3 swords imbued with demonic energy if it makes sense for the story. If a PC picks up a demonic sword, have the sword try to take them over and kill their allies.
  • Attrition is your friend. I regularly have 5-10 encounters without a long rest.
  • Have adventuring "days" now and then where the players know there's only going to be a couple of fights before they get a long rest so they can have fun blowing **** up.
  • Know your group and what they're capable of.
  • Create custom bosses and (as someone else stated) crank them up to 11. Just don't go out of your way to completely nerf the PCs.
  • Celebrate their wins. Sometimes the PCs will stomp on your encounters, have fun with it.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The 5E ones don't tend to go that high or work that well when they do

First, how do you know they don't work well? How many have you played/run?

Second, what do you think was wrong with them? If you can identify what's bothering you about the high-level adventures you know, you might have a clue as to how to make one that satisfies you.

Myself I look at magical dungeons, Nasty traps, or the outer planes. Sailing around on a poison sea where some magic may or may not work. Overlapping trap effects, insta kill traps, terrain, multiple meteor swarms, power word kill I pull out all the stops.
It looks like a lot of your approach is based around taking away the PCs' abilities (poison, deactivating magic, insta-kills). Which some tables like, as a challenge, but it will frustrate others.

Also, insta-kills will work on PCs of any level, so why do you consider them to be a high-level feature? Is it about returning a sense of danger and fragility to the PCs? Do you have the sort of players who get bored if they don't feel like there's a chance of their characters dying in every session?

Zardnaar

Legend
First, how do you know they don't work well? How many have you played/run?

Second, what do you think was wrong with them? If you can identify what's bothering you about the high-level adventures you know, you might have a clue as to how to make one that satisfies you.

It looks like a lot of your approach is based around taking away the PCs' abilities (poison, deactivating magic, insta-kills). Which some tables like, as a challenge, but it will frustrate others.

Also, insta-kills will work on PCs of any level, so why do you consider them to be a high-level feature? Is it about returning a sense of danger and fragility to the PCs? Do you have the sort of players who get bored if they don't feel like there's a chance of their characters dying in every session?

Because of resurrection magic which is even more trivial in 5E. That and abundant healing so damage isn't very good at getting the job done.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Reverse engineering other high level adventures. I mean, specifically in this case I've done this with Pathfinder which means it would also work at 3.5X. I don't personally find it hard to convert anything to 5E which is why you guys see me doing it 2-3 times a week, so I'll probably take the same approach when I design a high level 5E adventure: reverse engineering high-level 3.X/PF adventures, which there are a ton of, because that is the edition of the game I have the deepest understanding of, and because I also think that was one of the high points in adventure/dungeon design (an earlier high point was the original Dragonlance modules).

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Because of resurrection magic which is even more trivial in 5E. That and abundant healing so damage isn't very good at getting the job done.

So what I'm hearing is that you consider it absolutely vital for there to be a strong chance of PCs dying in the course of an adventure--is that right? It's important to note that as a design principle, because it's a style preference that not everyone shares, so knowing that it's a priority will make it a lot easier to design an adventure that you'll enjoy.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
So what I'm hearing is that you consider it absolutely vital for there to be a strong chance of PCs dying in the course of an adventure--is that right? It's important to note that as a design principle, because it's a style preference that not everyone shares, so knowing that it's a priority will make it a lot easier to design an adventure that you'll enjoy.

You have to have some element of risk, 5E is in the easy side of things. It's like playing a video game on easy you basically already know how it's gonna go. That's boring and at that point the DM may as well call it as his job is really only to be there for the players. If the just steaneoll everything it's almost pointless to play it out or the DM will likely get bored fast and figure out it's a waste of their time.

Remove ads