What does it mean to "Challenge the Character"?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I think they would inform but not constrain the DM's narration of the outcome of the adventurers' outcome. This may seem like splitting hairs, but we have to take any rule into the context of the idea that the rules serve the DM, not the other way around. In this case, it may well be likely that the DM always says the character can (for example) get an audience with a noble or help from his or her temple; however, in the realm of infinite fictional possibilities, that might not always be the case and the DM decides the result, not the rules and not the player, even if the rules inform the DM's decision. Thus, I would say background features such as the ones you quoted fall short of demonstrating that some NPCs are "extensions of the PC." In a practical sense, it might look and operate that way if it always works, but it's not an exception to the standard adjudication process.

Okay, but what I'm talking about is that background features that give reliable access to (and outcomes from) NPCs are as much a part of the character sheet as the character's ability scores, equipment list, and (if the character is a spellcaster) spell list. Of course the DM can rule that your spell doesn't work for circumstantial reasons, but that doesn't mean that the ability to cast that spell isn't part of your character's identity, and that the DM isn't overriding the character sheet to some extent by doing so.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Okay, but what I'm talking about is that background features that give reliable access to (and outcomes from) NPCs are as much a part of the character sheet as the character's ability scores, equipment list, and (if the character is a spellcaster) spell list. Of course the DM can rule that your spell doesn't work for circumstantial reasons, but that doesn't mean that the ability to cast that spell isn't part of your character's identity, and that the DM isn't overriding the character sheet to some extent by doing so.
When did "control over PC thoughts" turn into "on the character sheet?"

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

They may be listed on the character sheet, but as the outcome of all action declarations are decided upon by the DM, I don't think where they are listed says anything about the player controlling the fiction in this regard.

Hriston

When did "control over PC thoughts" turn into "on the character sheet?"

I don't know what you're talking about. This exchange isn't about whether players have control over the thoughts of their PCs. It's about whether certain background features turn certain NPCs into "extensions of the character" in the way a spell like dominate person does, unless you're making a connection that I've missed.

Celebrim

Legend
So we've reached the point where this is claimed to be a rational series of steps:

a) Player decides to have his PC gas-light an NPC.
b) Player declares that the false to facts belief of the PC with respect to the environment is something the PC actually believes.
c) Therefore either the PC is correct and the environment retroactively conforms to the PC's belief, or else the GM is playing the player's character?

This is at the point where if I were the GM, and something like this happened, I'd conclude that the player - not the character, but the player - was insane.

Somehow we've gone from, "The GM can't tell the player what the PC thinks." to "The PC can tell the GM what the setting is because the PC's thoughts are invariably true to facts." "My character believes this" is something that the player can declare. "My character believes this, and therefore it is true." is not something the player can declare, least of all when such a declaration contravenes established fact. We've recreated the "I've shot you! No you missed!" problem of a playground Make Believe games, only this time no rules process can possibly resolve the one-up-manship of this process of play because we have no way of establishing any of the facts upon which rules processes depend. Like the game of playground make believe, either the participants must yield to the most stubborn participant or the game cannot continue. Any game played according to this process of play would not long endure, because at most it can support the aesthetic goals of a single participant - the player who insists his right to play his character extends to the right to describe the setting as well.

And as long as we are supposedly discussing what it means for a game to have "challenge", this game cannot support the pillar of "challenge" even for that player, since the player has fiat authority and can basically declare "checkmate" regardless of the board position because he can arrange the board position without respect to any rules process.

Furthermore, this example doesn't even have the thin tissue of rules lawyering that supposedly justified the example with the guard. In no way can the player claim that the Chamberlain's smelliness was in some fashion part of the player's backstory, and if through some twisted logic he can, then he can claim the entire setting belongs to the player through the same set of steps.

Hriston

They may be listed on the character sheet, but as the outcome of all action declarations are decided upon by the DM, I don't think where they are listed says anything about the player controlling the fiction in this regard.

The player controls the fiction as it concerns how the PC thinks, acts, and talks. To me, it follows that automatic outcomes of PC actions are also examples of the player controlling the fiction. For example, if I decide my PC casts fireball and I have that spell listed on my character sheet, I have a spell slot available, etc., then I have controlled the fiction to the extent that the effects of the spell take place in the fiction. I think the same can be said of calling on the priests of my temple for assistance if I have Shelter of the Faithful listed on my character sheet. By doing so, I have controlled the fiction to the extent that the priests offer assistance as long as my request meets the conditions of the feature.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The player controls the fiction as it concerns how the PC thinks, acts, and talks. To me, it follows that automatic outcomes of PC actions are also examples of the player controlling the fiction. For example, if I decide my PC casts fireball and I have that spell listed on my character sheet, I have a spell slot available, etc., then I have controlled the fiction to the extent that the effects of the spell take place in the fiction. I think the same can be said of calling on the priests of my temple for assistance if I have Shelter of the Faithful listed on my character sheet. By doing so, I have controlled the fiction to the extent that the priests offer assistance as long as my request meets the conditions of the feature.

But who decides that there is an "automatic outcome" to casting a fireball or seeking help from the PC's temple?

The DM, always.

Celebrim

Legend
I make a character, and decide in their backstory they have a childhood sweetheart. That sweetheart is external to the character, but it would be strange for the DM to tell me I have a childhood sweetheart, wouldn't it? What about a hometown? As a player, I could decide that my character's home town was a bit like Mayberry, and that the various people within that town and their relationships with my character shaped them in a variety of ways. That entire town and all the people in it are external to my character, but they are vital to my character's story. Heck, I have a paladin who is married. Actual character I am playing. His wife is definitely external to the character, but her backstory and their relationship is something I feel is under my control. Because having a loving wife is part of my character's story, it is part of my character, even if the wife is an NPC and external to my character.

I'll be honest [MENTION=6801228]Chaosmancer[/MENTION], at this point I consider you to be trolling and not even arguing in good faith. So I see no reason to continue any of the arguments we've been having.

However, I will say that I find this new element of the conversation highly ironic, since if you do believe this, then it is not me that you have an argument with but rather yourself and those that have been arguing similar view points.

Under my theory of play, all you've just said is true. Per the process of play I outlined, I cannot as GM tell you that a backstory relationship regarding a loving wife which was previously established to exist, in fact is false because to do so would be impinging upon the conception of your character. While the NPC wife is external to your character, the nature of the relationship between you and that NPC once established cannot be retconned without your permission because that relationship is part of how your character is defined.

But consider that it is your own side of this argument that disagrees with that. When the "Francis the Guard" example was introduced as a valid process of play, that is to say that the player could introduce an NPC to the setting who was his best friend and insist that that NPC was present right now at this moment in the setting, the claim was made that since the setting/character line was so blurry, the correct and proper response by the GM to the player introducing an NPC to the setting in the middle of an encounter or situation was for the GM to invent that the best friend now held some grudge against the PC on account of some thing that the player had done the past that the GM could now impose on the player. In other words, it was argued that sure, the player can impose things on the setting, but in turn the GM can (and ought) impose facts about the player's character on the player, up to and including changing the fundamental relationship between the PC and NPCs as the player understood them.

How can you not see not only how dysfunctional that is, but how obviously both sides are crossing a not so blurry line, how the ends of this argument actually contradict your claims about it, and how contrived these claims are?

Fundamentally, you cannot introduce a backstory without the GMs permission. You may correctly observe that this means you cannot play a particular character without the GMs permission, and that is true, but even though this is so, this does not mean that the GM can play your character. Typically players create a backstory in good faith, and the GMs validate it as a reasonable backstory and therefore expresses facts that are true within the setting. Occasionally a GM may ask the player to make tweaks to better fit the setting, and the player can either except these tweaks or come up with a different backstory entirely. Very very rarely, a player might introduce a backstory that cannot at all be validated by the GM because it is totally at odds with the setting or else is obviously a bad faith attempt to unfairly hog the spotlight that ought to justly be shared equally by all players, but generally this indicates a problem player, or a player who is completely new to the setting, and isn't something that happens a lot with long running groups. In the case of your otherwise generic and simple background for your Paladin, in most cases I'd expect a GM to validate that, but if the GM was planning to run a game in a setting like Ravenloft or Midnight, he'd be well in his rights to tell you, "In this setting, towns like Mayberry don't really exist. At best, if you insist on playing a character that believes that they are from Mayberry, you have to understand that the character is in some fashion deluded and his beliefs regarding his hometown and the relationships in it are false."

Now, I will say that 30 years ago as a teenage DM I used to think that a GM had no right to tell a player what to play, and I would have probably had to have been convinced that that wasn't true if someone made that claim. But I had in my head at the time a very simplistic idea of character, and I would have been defending a proposition like, "The DM can't force the player to play a LG cleric." and defending a proposition like, "The player should be allowed to make their own character." And while I still might defend those propositions, I now realize that in a healthy game the DM can't approve every character that a player might create. Yes, the DM can and ought to try to accommodate the players wishes regarding his character as far as is possible, but there are some concepts for a character that will sooner or later (and usually sooner) result in dysfunction and a less than enjoyable experience for all parties.

These are muddy waters...

No not really.

Hriston

But who decides that there is an "automatic outcome" to casting a fireball or seeking help from the PC's temple?

The DM, always.

Yes, that's true. But it reminds me of the example up-thread of the player declaring s/he pulls a length of rope out of his/her backpack when the player believed that item was in his/her inventory. The DM has the authority to declare an outcome other than what the player expects, but, without a good reason, it seems like a breach of the social contract.

5ekyu

Hero
I actually dont have much of a problem with this viewpoint except to,point out that *like fireball* but *unlike magic missle* both these features require an external factor not under your control in character and in plsyer - the material components which for the priests means a temple and priests.

Unless you are camping at the temple, the one "a town away" youmight find sacked, abandoned or under someone oe something else's control. This is not unlike losing access to materials.

There are other considerations but the background features like this establish s baseline, expectation not an absolute. For instance, there is nothing IIRC saying *immediate* or *unlimited* assistance and healing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases