D&D 5E Attacking defenseless NPCs

5ekyu

Hero
I dunno, you might not have said it explicility, but surely that is the implication of this?:

A reasonable person has determined that the DM has made a bad ruling against the player. How many times does that need to occur before the DM is “ruled” ( ;) ) incompetent or unreasonable?

I just don’t see the point of debating situations where the DM is a bad actor. The players are utterly at the mercy of the DM.
"This goes south generally when the result goes against the player, and the typical mechanics you'd apply said there was a good chance for things to be different, but the GM decides to not use the rules."

The GM has more knowledge than the player. There may be factors involved that alter the uncertain/certain that the players do not know.

In my experience, if the GM runs a game where it is the perception of the players that there are "a lot" of cases where the rules are bypassed by GM fiat, you get less trust built up and more likely to see these situations as "unreasonsble."

In my games, I try to use the rules e agree to and avoid fiat. I try to have and show consistency between my presentations, descriptions and expectations.

As such, when they encounter an outcome they in-charscter or in player do not understand, its treated as a clue, not a GM thing.

5ekyu

Hero
Perhaps this was a problem in years gone by and different editions, but I came in DMing 5e and took this play loop approach to heart after reading an AngryDM article on (adjudicating actions like a @#%% boss), and I’ve yet to have a problem. Do we occasionally run your sub loop to get on the same page sure, but that’s how reasonable people come to a shared understanding. Is it a fundamental problem with the play loop? Absolutely not!

Just because we describe it as a clean process in theory, doesn’t mean things don’t adapted to the moment. Just like anything. It’s not a problem with the play loop, I think the problem is your not realizing that it is an abstraction of the conversation at the table. Each run of the play loop is different because people.
This explains a lot. Thanks.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I came in DMing 5e and took this play loop approach to heart after reading an AngryDM article on (adjudicating actions like a @#%% boss), and I’ve yet to have a problem.
Hey! You're a straight-up 5e success story! :D

Perhaps this was a problem in years gone by and different editions, but...
Is it a fundamental problem with the play loop? Absolutely not!
Just because we describe it as a clean process in theory, doesn’t mean things don’t adapted to the moment. Just like anything. It’s not a problem with the play loop, I think the problem is your not realizing that it is an abstraction of the conversation at the table. Each run of the play loop is different because people.
The 5e play loop (like the term, BTW) is, IMHO/X, a relatively elegant, formal summation of how people came to run D&D reasonably effectively over say, it's first 25 years or so (before the rules got seriously overhauled with d20 and RaW became dominant in the community's headspace).
So I don't think it was a problem with past editions (unless it was the 'recent' past - as in, the current millennium), but a solution derived from past editions.

(If I were being cynical, I might say that it's a prescription for running a functional game in spite of a dysfunctional system - and, who am I kidding, I'm totally cynical, and it totally is. But it's a prescription proven safe & effective for the treatment of system dysfunction.)

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Perhaps this was a problem in years gone by and different editions, but I came in DMing 5e and took this play loop approach to heart after reading an AngryDM article on (adjudicating actions like a @#%% boss), and I’ve yet to have a problem. Do we occasionally run your sub loop to get on the same page sure, but that’s how reasonable people come to a shared understanding. Is it a fundamental problem with the play loop? Absolutely not!

I don't even understand the objection that is being voiced. The play loop and adjudication process is for all and sundry to see right there in the rules of the game. It's not like we made it up. If there's an objection to it, take it up with Wizards of the Coast, I guess.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
And like I just said with robus, I am saying that this has failure modes.

No. Incorrect. Wrong. I didn't say that. You are missing the point, and thereby demonstrating my point in the process.

Nowhere in my point is anyone being a jerk. Nobody is being unreasonable. Nobody is acting with ill-intent. Get that idea out of your head, or we will talk past each other. They are just carrying on with play in the best way they can. They are coming at play, however, with different desires and different thoughts. Our failure to connect on this point is *exactly* the kind of failure that can hit gameplay, even when everyone is being reasonable. We simply have slightly different goals, expectations, mental patterns, and things going on in our heads, because we aren't a hivemind.

We repeatedly say that players must have consistency of rules and processes so they can make reasoned, informed decisions. They must have an understanding of the odds in order for them to propose approaches. But, that means they are basing their choices on *expectations* about how things will happen. There's nothing jerkish about that. Meanwhile, the GM is not a *slave* to consistency. They are not jerkish for deviating from it from time to time. But that means we will have occasions where the player and the GM are not in synch, and that's where we can get tripped up. The basic form of play needs an allowance for that.

The problem with your play loop, and it's idealized nature, is that the player and GM roles must be kept pure for it to function as described, and that never actually happens. To be realistic, it needs to include an optional negotiation sub-loop. Because real human social interaction always calls for bits of negotiation for consensus to form. This is where, "Yes, and..." lives, in this negotiation. Most of the time, the player will just accept the GM's proposals. But, we need a loop to build consensus when the player's not on board with the proposal, and the GM and player can come to some understanding or compromise.

Okay, so, your point is that players can't understand enough to make reasoned choices because the play loop is so fixed (who said this? Oh, no one, it's a strawman) that they can't ask questions and the DM will refuse to answer questions because, well, the play loop won't let them (again, strawman), but, nope, there aren't any jerks involved here.

This is even more hogwash. For one, you're only making this argument against goal and approach, when it's actually trivially true of ALL playstyles -- if you don't allow questions and create expectation mismatches, you will have problems. You've assumed that goal and approach is so locked in that this is more likely to happen than in other styles, when, in reality, the same types of decisions and fiat exists in other styles it just happens in a different place. Your argument is trivially true across all styles, but it's used as if it only applies to goal and approach or the play loop that's in the PHB. It really appears to be a motte argument because it's so trivially true -- bad play causes bad outcomes -- who could argue it. But your use of this only against one set of play is telling that it's not an honest criticism, it's just the retreat point when pressed on the more expansive against arguments you've floated (the bailey arguments).

So, then, let me attack the motte -- this argument is trivial. It's true of all play everywhere. It addresses NO points made in this thread, and certainly not by anyone describing the PHB's play loop as the PHB presents it. Or by anyone advancing goal and approach, who, if you actually read their posts, pretty much universally expound on how important it is to be clear as to what's at stake and what's going on in the scene. So much so that many of us have had to defend the openness of our information presentation as giving too much away. And, we all are very open about how it's very important to resolve any confusion and not play gotcha over a mis-match, so, clearly, your argument above doesn't apply to anyone in this thread advancing goal and approach. Nor is it a more valid argument against goal and approach than against any other playstyle. To sum up, I have no idea who you think you're lecturing on this trivially obvious point, but it's clear that you're advancing it not as a generally applicable statement but as a specific argument against the PHB's play loop (and goal and approach, obliquely), which is ludicrous, incorrect, and bordering on intellectually dishonest.

There, now that the motte is thoroughly dismantled, and we can safely discard this trivial argument as general and obvious and not specially more likely when using the PHB play loop than other loops, or in goal and approach as a style of using the PHB play loop, perhaps you'd like to reposition?

Again, nothing in the above in meant nor should be taken to imply that there's a better way to play. There is a better way to play, but everyone needs to find their own.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
My intent is that my game feel like an RPG, which, to my mind, is neither a simulation nor a movie.

I mean by that we can either follow a character driven narration of events (Your arrow cuts through the night and (Roll D20) silences the guard before he can sound an alarm), or we can follow a rules driven narration of events (Move to x space, roll initiative, you have surprise, roll D20, roll damage, player 2 turn) . Everyone does a bit of both, but everyone leans more one way than the other as well.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sorry to mince the following quote to answer smoothly:
Okay, so, your point is that players can't understand enough to make reasoned choices because the play loop is so fixed that they can't ask questions...For one, you're only making this argument against goal and approach,... (who said this?
iserith: goal & approach requires an action declaration with a goal (acquiring information) and an approach (searching, 'trying to remember' lore from past specific study, etc...) /instead/ of asking questions of the DM.

I don't think that requirement should preclude asking for /clarification/ about the DM's narration of the situation, though. Like, if the DM says standing in the room are a half-dozen goblins & hobgoblins... Asking, "is that a total of 6, or six of each for a total of 12?" shouldn't be out of line. Though the follow up "OK, but how many of the six are hobgoblins" /might/ call for an approach of /actually counting the taller enemies/, if there's more than one or two, anyway.

Essentially, if it's question that only comes up because you're running TotM rather than setting out 15mm goblin minis and 30 mm hobgoblin minis, so it should probably be a freebie, rather than calling a sub-routine of the goal-approach version of the loop.

jasper

Rotten DM
Robus swap out the placement of orc and ranger. Does sound fair if the orc is firing an arrow at your ranger for an instant kill?
So as some have said by rules, advantage, surprise round etc. BUT if the orc does not matter to the adventure I may MAY give you an instant kill. But instant kills will be rare, or you have lots damage output per hit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases