Halberd Fighter - What order feats?

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
So I'm creating a Variant Human Halberd Fighter for Adventurer's League. I'm trying to come up with a good order for my feats.

I think I'd like to take Sentinel for my variant Human feat over Polearm Master, since I would probably be using my reaction every turn with 10' reach to either side, and d10+mod is better than d4+mod.

So then I have Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master and Tough, plus two Strength stat increases. What order do you think I should go? What other feats would work better? (this is my first non-sword/board fighter)

I plan on taking the Battle Master Archetype, if that matters. My goal is to use reach and Sentinel to keep opponents off of the back line.

Helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--Scott

Esker

Hero
I'm playing a similar character now. I would probably take PAM at 1st and Sentinel at 4th if using a halberd, particularly in AL where you can't tailor your build to your party. It gives you a consistent extra attack that you can use every round, plus the potential for reaction attacks when enemies enter your reach. You may get that reaction attack less often than the Sentinel one, but I bet between the bonus action and the reaction you'll be doing more damage with PAM. As for the control aspect, keeping the enemy from moving past you after an AoO is useful, but likely if you're out there in front, most enemies will just attack you if they'd otherwise have to incur AoOs to get past you.

Sentinel could be better for some parties, but you may well not be the tankiest one in the group since you won't have a shield, so encouraging enemies to attack you all the time may not necessarily be what you want. Sentinel also works nicely once you have riposte, since you get a way to make a reaction attack regardless of whether they attack you or your ally.

I'd probably boost STR at 6th and take GWM at 8th, supporting it with Precision Attack and Trip Attack to make it easier to overcome the -5 to hit.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Sentinel is at best on par with Polearm master in terms of attacks. Polearm master definitely gives you one for a bonus action, with a smaller die. And it also increases the chance of a reaction from "likely not" to "meh, maybe". So call it +1.2 attacks per round over no feat. (+1 bonus action, +20% chance at reaction attack)

Sentinel guarantees nothing, but moves up the reaction to a "okay, decent". Call it +0.5 attacks per round (+50% chance at a reaction attack).

I would absolutely take Polearm Master first.

Once you are there, you need to value each relatively. GWM's bonus action on crit gives you little over PM. The -5/+10 works better when you hit more. If you are getting buffed regularly (Bless especially), it's not a bad pick at 4th, otherwise you may want until after a STR boost. Now, if you are going for Battlemaster (with Precision) or Samurai then you've got enough self-buffing to go for this without a +4 STR mod.

Sentinel is quite nice, but because you only have a single reaction, it only matters in the cases where PM wouldn't trigger but Sentinel would. The difference - +0.3 attacks/round over PM, isn't worth as much. Unless you find the reduction in speed to be a big deal, once you have PM I'd take this last.

STR boosts - the more attacks you have, the better this is. With PNM giving extra attacks, having a better chance to land them and better damage when you do is multiplicative. I'd advance this until you reach 20, with the details about GWM in there for when you take that.

Esker

Hero
Sentinel is quite nice, but because you only have a single reaction, it only matters in the cases where PM wouldn't trigger but Sentinel would. The difference - +0.3 attacks/round over PM, isn't worth as much. Unless you find the reduction in speed to be a big deal, once you have PM I'd take this last.

But note that the reaction attack provided by PAM is considered an opportunity attack, and therefore qualifies for the movement reduction under Sentinel, unless I missed some errata invalidating this. This can be quite a potent synergy when used with reach: enemy approaches, opportunity attack (from PAM) when they get to 10', they have to stop (due to Sentinel). If they don't also have reach, now they can't attack you. On your turn, you can attack twice, then step back, to repeat.

Blue

But note that the reaction attack provided by PAM is considered an opportunity attack, and therefore qualifies for the movement reduction under Sentinel, unless I missed some errata invalidating this.

You are completely correct as far as I know, and it is a nice combo.

This can be quite a potent synergy when used with reach: enemy approaches, opportunity attack (from PAM) when they get to 10', they have to stop (due to Sentinel). If they don't also have reach, now they can't attack you. On your turn, you can attack twice, then step back, to repeat.

Except that assume that thee's only one foe, and they either want you or have to get past you. Once there's a second foe who can close with you, you either need to start sucking up OAs yourself to move back, or to miss out on your two attacks (plus more once you hit 5th) and take the Disengage action. Same happens if you miss - foe closes and the cycle is broken.

And if they have other targets they can go for, you are no longer threatening for the basic OA trigger (and sentinel to stop them) if you've moved back.

Esker

Hero
Except that assume that thee's only one foe, and they either want you or have to get past you. Once there's a second foe who can close with you, you either need to start sucking up OAs yourself to move back, or to miss out on your two attacks (plus more once you hit 5th) and take the Disengage action. Same happens if you miss - foe closes and the cycle is broken.

Right, you have to hit to keep this up. If emphasizing this control tank aspect, you'd probably want to take precision attack and pushing attack at 3, saving your superiority dice to keep enemies away. If positioning is such that this tactic can keep enemies from being able to attack at all, it's probably even worth foregoing your own on-turn attack to disengage, while your ranged allies beat up on the hapless bad guys.

And if they have other targets they can go for, you are no longer threatening for the basic OA trigger (and sentinel to stop them) if you've moved back.

Yeah, you probably wouldn't use this technique in a wide open space. But note that with a reach weapon, you command a 25' wide corridor, so this isn't something that only works in narrow hallways. Plus, even if there is a way around, circling at a distance of 15' probably takes most creatures at least one full turn at a dash, maybe more. Your allies may be able to pick them off before they can get past. Maneuvering or goading attack might be nice picks to help keep your allies safe too.

Blue

Right, you have to hit to keep this up.

And they have to be the only person coming after you. If you get mobbed by foes #2-5 this doesn't work. If you are defending a choke point as your example was, then they are all coming at (or through) you.

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
So perhaps something like this:

v.Human feat: Polearm Master
3rd level Maneuvers: Precision Attack, Pushing Attack, Trip Attack
4th level: Sentinel
6th level: +2 Str.
8th level: GWM or +2 Str.
12th level: whichever I didn't take at 8th
14th level: Tough

Thanks.

--Scott

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So here's my take. The basic tactic of PAM + Sentinel I like.

However, your focus is in the wrong place. The focus isn't that you can prevent an enemy from ever attacking. You won't. You'll eventually miss. They'll go around you. You will get swarmed etc.

What the combo works great for is often keeping an enemy out of combat for a turn. It's great passive control. Denying even 1-2 actions in a combat is a very powerful ability.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases