Players choose what their PCs do . . .

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ah, there we go. It's not a pemerton megathread until Maxperson gets into a debate of semantics and pulls out a lexicon so that he can argue definitions. We are also just missing Maxperson broadening the sense of a term such that it becomes meaningless in the discourse; let's say, something akin to "Everything is a challenge." ;)

Nor is it one unless you falsely accuse me of semantics and engage in an Ad Hominem attack against me like this one. Semantics is not different ways to define something. It's saying the same thing in a different way, which I did not do. The distinctly different definitions of challenge do not end up at the same place. They are different kinds of challenges. Take your false semantics accusation elsewhere.

Herein lies the problem. You are so convinced you must keep a player from cheating (choosing the expedient option) that you have invented mechanics that police the game to such a degree that those players who won't simply choose the expedient have a far less enjoyable time.

If your players need policing to ensure they aren't just choosing the expedient option then those systems you describe certainly work better. If they don't then they are limiting.

Again, using the mechanics of Burning Wheel's Duel of Wits, then Blades in the Dark, then Apocalypse World demonstrate how these claims manifest themselves in actual play.

Again, you can't and won't because your claims are a) completely empty and false and b) the product of complete ignorance of the available mechanics.

Aldarc

Legend
Nor is it one unless you falsely accuse me of semantics and engage in an Ad Hominem attack against me like this one. Semantics is not different ways to define something. It's saying the same thing in a different way, which I did not do. The distinctly different definitions of challenge do not end up at the same place. They are different kinds of challenges. Take your false semantics accusation elsewhere.
Actually, it is as "semantics" is fundamentally about 'meaning,' and you are currently doing what is referred to in the field of linguistics as 'lexical semantics.' For someone who likes to drop lexical entries into arguments, I'm surprised you don't know that. :D

Again, using the mechanics of Burning Wheel's Duel of Wits, then Blades in the Dark, then Apocalypse World demonstrate how these claims manifest themselves in actual play.

Again, you can't and won't because your claims are a) completely empty and false and b) the product of complete ignorance of the available mechanics.
Yeah, but what about imagining a persuasion roll in D&D?! :p

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'll leave the fidelity claim to one side. But the second claim is an empirical one. I'd be curious to see if it's true. Personally I doubt it - I don't have experience with Exalted, but in my experience with other systems that provide various sorts of systematic support for engagement with PC motivations and emotions the range of characters played - when considered in proportion to the overall number played - tends to be increased, not narrowed.

I think the best way to address that is to ask, what character from such a system can't be played identically in a D&D type system (assuming same overall setting etc).

On a side note: I do think the typical D&D character is likely more basic (maybe more cartoonish) than the ones such systems always produce. So there is the degree of mandating a more complex character that is appealing. But I don't think D&D is incapable of producing such complex characters even if the players playing it may fail to typically do so.

Anyways to answer the question - every system has characters it can't produce. The more structured and formulaic the system, the more characters it can't produce. For example, in the exalted example, I don't know 100% sure how it works, but likely players have to choose a set number of personality traits about their character for each category. By doing this you have already excluded any character that has more or less personality traits than is mandated.

Anyways, Since D&D largely leaves personality free form, then all the personalities allowable in exalted are available in D&D and all the ones not allowable in it are as well.

But in this post I want to make clear that what I am talking about, in trying to convey my view as to how a character conception can be challenged in the absence of mechanics of the sort that @Campbell has described, is - at least to my eyes - nothing like what you (Frogreaver) describe here.

agreed

I'll put to one side the GM making a Persuasion roll and telling the player that result, as I don't see what that adds to the situation - mechanics work as mechanics, but I don't see what work they are meant to do as guidelines.

I find it helpful at times when the DM doesn't orate the whole conversation word for word. But sure, set that part aside.

With that put to one side, what we have is simply the GM telling the player that a NPC wants such-and-such from the PC. I can't see any pressure there. Any tension. Any challenge.

To who? The player? The PC? I think we are teetering back and forth between player and PC to often here.

Anyways, one potential challenge for the player is determining if that is a persuasive argument to their PC.

For the PC, the persuasion attempt is a challenge only if it makes the PC stop a moment and debate back and forth on what the right course of action is.

Often times, when the player is struggling to determine whether the NPC persuaded their PC, it's because the PC is having an internal struggle as well over what they should do.

The player can weigh pros and cons, try and calculate consequences, even decide non-rationally based on feeling if s/he likes, or a coin toss, what to do. But I can't see how this puts the least bit of pressure on the player's conception of his/her PC's character.

How could it not? If the player is playing in character then the only reason the determination of what his character would do would be difficult for him is if the attempt framed the situation to the PC such that it put two motivations/traits/etc in opposition. That then becomes a defining moment of the PC's character.

And the focus on "out-of-character" reasons is very strange. No one in this thread (as far as I can tell) is talking about the source of motivations that the player draws on. What's at issue is whether or not the character conception can be challenged. I don't see that it's possible in the approach you describe for the player to discover (as opposed to decide) that his/her PC is different from what s/he thought.

When I play I discover many things about my character due to what I decide. I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive as you appear to suggest. If my character is faced with a hard choice due to multiple traits/goals/etc being put at odds then whatever I decide is also a discovery as it's a situation I've not thought about before.

So you will never have moments of play that evoke such classic narratives as Lancelot discovering that he values his love for Guinevere over his loyalty to Arthur. Or Rick (in Casablanca) discovering something like the opposite.

Of course you can! That's the whole point. Why do you think that narrative can't be had by the player choosing?

FrogReaver

I don't need to know much specific about China to know there aren't elves there. Nor Do I need to know the specifics of a bunch of game systems to draw general conclusions about them. In short, I can be ignorant on specifics without being wrong.

FrogReaver

This completely misunderstands @chaochou's point.

As I posted upthread, "cheating" or acting on out-of-game motivations has nothing to do with what anyone is talking about in this thread.

Right, but it did have to do with what [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] said. In fact he didn't even defend it after I called him out on it.

Then it isn't persuasion. I simply choose whatever is most expedient and justify my choice however I please.

That was his rebuttal to the player choosing. There's nothing else that can be referring to except players that always make the most expedient decision (aka cheating)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Actually, it is as "semantics" is fundamentally about 'meaning,' and you are currently doing what is referred to in the field of linguistics as 'lexical semantics.' For someone who likes to drop lexical entries into arguments, I'm surprised you don't know that. :D

Regardless of whether or not it was "semantics," and it wasn't, the two definitions of challenge are still of great importance to this thread. The claim that a challenge can't happen unless there is a win/loss scenario going on is outright false. You can in fact have a challenge of the difficult choice where there is no win/loss possibility.

:yawn: Your Ad Hominems bore me. Either respond to the arguments I make or don't respond to me or talk about me.

FrogReaver

The basic point is that, in the scenarios you keep putting forward, nothing happens to the PC's inner being or self-conception that the player did not choose.

Right. Did you expect me to disagree with that? That's precisely what I'm saying.

So the player choose that which s/he prefers. Depending on mood, table practices, etc, this might be the thing most likely to produce victory in the quest, or the thing most likely to be seen as entertaining

Yes those are possibilities (and occasionaly the last has it's place IMO), but not necessities

or even the thing s/he thinks is truest to the character as s/he conceives of it.

Well that would be the ultimate goal. If that's not being done at least most of the time then maybe a different system would be better for that player.

Whatever the player chooses, s/he is not forced to confront something new or unexpected about his/her PC.

Yes you are. When the choice is between two opposed goals/personality traits/etc then you are most certainly being confronted with something new or unexpected about your PC. You are learning which goal/personality trait/etc is more defining (or at least more defining in this moment).

pemerton

Legend
I don't need to know much specific about China to know there aren't elves there. Nor Do I need to know the specifics of a bunch of game systems to draw general conclusions about them. In short, I can be ignorant on specifics without being wrong.
I guess you can assert things in ignorance, yet avoid error, if you get lucky.

On this occasion though, your luck has failed you. The claims you make aren't plausible even within the compass of D&D, which includes the 4e skill challenge mechanic. They are completely wrong when it comes to other systems such as the ones that [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] has mentioned.

FrogReaver

I guess you can assert things in ignorance, yet avoid error, if you get lucky.

Not ignorance to know a general truth.

They are completely wrong when it comes to other systems such as the ones that @chaochou has mentioned.[/QUOTE]

One example works wonders. If it's that easy to disprove me then provide an example that does so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases