Players choose what their PCs do . . .

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I was with you all the way to here, but this is where you lose me: acting very much is roleplaying. An actor, pretty much no matter what else might be involved, universally does one thing while on stage or screen: plays a role.

Maybe you just have a much more romanticized view of acting than I do. Actors stand in front of a green screen all day, Repeating the same scenes over and over till everyone gets it just right. They cry on demand. The recite lines. They know how to portray what appears to be genuine emotion even when they aren't feeling those emotions.

I don't view acting as roleplaying. The two are not mutually exclusive as I think some of the best actors likely do roleplay to some degree. But roleplay isn't a requirement IMO.

I think it's easy to take the final product and read roleplay into it when there wasn't necessarily alot of it there.

FrogReaver

Some other posters have already explained how finding a ruby can be a failure. Here's another way: the PC is searching for gold pieces because only gold pieces can lift the curse of the whatever-it-is (I'm imagining some variant of the gem-crushing gargoyle in ToH). Finding a ruby is a, in that circumstance, a failure - although maybe if the PC can make it to a gem market and cash in the ruby s/he can get some or even all of the gold s/he needs.

As to your possibilities:

(1) I don't really see how this can be known in advance unless the GM has already plotted the story out. Which maybe s/he has, but then that brings us back to the question of what the role of the players is in relation to the fiction.

(2) This has been dealt with ad nauseum by @Ovinomancer and by me. If the action declaration would violate the established ficiotn then that should alreayd have been sorted out. Furthremore, this is not particularly a GM function. I mean, the GM's narration of the ruby could negate some prioer fiction to if the GM is careless (eg maybe the PCs already scanned the area with a gem detection spell and it registed no gems). So all-in-all this particular possibility is a red herring.

(3) I don't understand this at all. If the GM tells the player the PC fails to find 1000 gp then why is the player then making a check? What is the check for? And if this check whose purpose I don't understand is successful, what is the reason for telling the player that the PC finds a 1000 gp instead of the 1000 gp s/he was looking for.

I think all they did was define how any apparent success could turn into a failure. Their method was to assert something additional that I didn't claim about the scene. The same can be done with 1000gp to turn it into a failure as well. Basically they aren't arguing that the ruby can't be a success, but rather that giving the player what they want with a major downside isn't necessarily something that should be called a success.

So what actual reasons do you have for asserting that a 1000gp ruby can never be a success? (not that a 1000gp ruby with a major downside is not a success).

On a side note: if you can fail forward... I suppose it's also possible to succeed toward escalating conflict. We could have a whole discussion around that idea.

Not in the way that I and (I believe) @Ovinomancer are talking about. An author can write about a character's struggle with identity and responsibility (think eg about JRRT's account of Aragorn's self-doubt after the Fellowship leaves Lorien). But that is not playing a game. The author wasn't challenged except in the sense that authoring can be a difficult thing.

That's why I've been soo picky about whether you refer to challenging the player or the character. Rolling a dice doesn't challenge a player. The narration of a failure may challenge something the player previously regarded as true. (Of course it seems the narration of a success could also do that). In any case, you don't need dice to challenge the players conception of their character or the fictional world as the same narration that challenges the player can be achieved with no dice being rolled.

Stating an attempted action is suggesting something to be true in the fiction - namely, that the PC performs the actin as described! That's the whole starting point for the OP of this thread.

The only fictional truth declaring an action does is set the truth to be that your character attempted to do X. The player declares with explicitness something which becomes true. The player never once suggested something that might be true.
The DM then determines what happens. Was your attempt successful. Was it uncertain. Did you fail?

Your claim that the GM always decides in D&D is obviously very controversial But even at those tables where it is true, it doesn't follow that the GM never considers what it is that the players have suggested.

I don't think that the GM always decides is controversial in D&D. I mean their is a social contract and all and if the DM fails to honor that then the game will fall apart. But even then it's still the DM deciding whether to abide by that or not. And it's still him ultimately deciding. But that's a side point.

The important thing is: When did the players suggest something? They declare attempted actions. Are you equating an attempted action declaration with a suggestion?

But if acting is not roleplaying, then where does the roleplaying consist of in a game in which the GM decides all the outcomes? What are the players doing in such a game other than some improv acting?

Playing their character and seeing what happens.

To echo @Manbearcat, the point is not that people like what they like. The point is that some systems make possible certain experiences that others don't.

That's your assertion yes. It's interesting to note that all the systems with good to have experiences are not D&D. It's almost as if all of this is just a subtle way to tell everyone that they are having badwrongfun, without actually needing to call it that.

But that aside, on an individual level I full agree that different systems can yield totally different experiences. I'm not sure you can extrapolate that to everyone such that you can generally say this system only allows this experience and that system only allows that experience for everyone.

My repeated theme this whole thread has been that has been that different game systems play differently and appeal to different people, but that most everything you claim my favored system can't handle, that it actually can and does. That it's rules light non-combat system offers greater opportunities in roleplaying than other more codified systems (not saying those other systems aren't fun).

But it seems that anything positive said about D&D is just crapped on here as if the OP suggesting that all RPG's have pros and cons really means all RPG's except D&D have pros and cons.

I'll give an example from a slightly different field of hobby: I don't believe that it is possible to get the same thrill from swimming laps in a pool as it is to get from catching a wave at a beach. That's not a criticism of lap-swimming or a praise of beaches - taking that extra step would require deciding whether or not we like the thrill (some do, but not everybody does).

"Thrill" is a very personal thing. Some people would not find swimming in the ocean a thrill at all. Fear and anxiety may be their response. Whereas getting in the pool at the beach and swimming around may be quite thrilling to them.

Personally I much prefer the ocean and would agree that for me it's more thrilling. I don't think it's objective fact that it's more thrilling though.

Now maybe there's someone out there who finds lap swimming really thrilling.I guess that's conceivable. But I would want pretty good evidence before I contemplated this possibility in a serious way. Because it is very much at odds with my own experiences and obvservations of both lap swimmers and body surfers.

My wife tends to dislike being in the ocean because she is afraid of it. For her the pool is much more thrilling.

In RPGing, not every system can produce the same experience. In Rolemaster, when the first crit die is rolled, there is a sense of thrill and antiipation that cannot be achieved in an AD&D combat when the first damage die is rolled vs anything much bigger than a gnoll. Becuase in RM everyone knows that if that crit die comes up high, the combat is over; wheres in AD&D that combat can't be finished by the first damage roll.

That's a good example. I agree with you that the game part is different in every RPG and can create a different feeling. Constant Danger or relative safety with some danger etc.

What has been asserted for most of this thread is that the roleplaying is superior in these other games. That the roleplaying examples being mentioned aren't possible in D&D etc. That's where the disagreement lies.

If you are just wanting to say X mechanic tends to make the game feel like Y for many people then I agree. But that isn't what appears to be happening to me.

A
nd turning from combat to other domains of struggle, a typical AD&D game can't produce the sort of experience in relation to charavter that is being discussed here, because the typical AD&D game has neither the formal rules nor the informal practices necessary to bring the right sort of pressure to bear on the player in the play of his/her PC.

Which ignores my counterpoint that you don't need rules at all to generate pressure on the player

For instance, there is no way to put family relationships in jeopardy beyond either GM stipulation or consensus roleplaying - unless (as I think I mentioned upthread) one uses the honour and family rules from Oriental Adventures. While there is plenty of fail this check and your PC willl be hurt bad physically there's almost no way, in typical AD&D sans OA, to generate fail this check and your PC will be hurt emotionally - for instance, because his/her family rejects him/her. Unless the GM just stipulates that outcome, which isn't very dramatic in the context of playing a game.

You seem to be stuck between 2 ideas and conflating the 2. It's definitely more dramatic to the player if there's dice being rolled and an observable possibility for success and failure. That's the mechanic part I keep talking about. It's fun for the game but serves to restrict the ways in which a player can roleplay his character (for the fun and drama of the game). There's a tradeoff there - full unrestrictive roleplaying vs greater drama etc.

Do you accept that there is a difference between assertions grounded on experience and assertions grounded in mere conjecture?

Sure. They both can be wrong in very different ways. In your case it's imagining that your experiences must be the same as everyone elses. In mine it's imagining that I'm capable of imaging how a system plays without playing it.

FrogReaver

Which is why I regularly encourage people to play more and different types of games.

And I also regularly recommend people (at least in my life) be willing to have the self-awareness and humility to say “I don’t know.” I don’t understand this modern phenomena of being unwilling to simply recognize that you don’t know what you don’t know. There are lots of things I don’t know...even in the disciplines/leisure pursuits where I’m learned (you mentioned HERO in our exchange above...don’t know the first thing about it...won't even guess it’s play experience is like...you said it’s fit to reproduce the experience I relayed...I respect your opinion on this so...sure that works for me...if I feel incredulous, I’ll wait until I’ve informed myself before offering any conjecture).

So if you don’t know...that’s fine...and it’s also fine to not take someone’s word for something...but make an effort to know what you don’t know. You’ll often find that your intuitions and extrapolations (from malformed heuristics) weren’t exactly on the mark.

I think all you have is a few personal experiences that you've spent a lot of time analyzing and trying to extrapolate as general principles for all mankind.

So you first. Tell us that you don't actually know everything you've been discussing and talking about all this time. It's okay to do so after all.

Tony Vargas

Legend
That fact can also point toward personal investment on the issue that could be clouding your judgement.
… see, that's not cynical, at all...

(I shouldn't talk, I'm totally cynical.)

Or point out a more important heuristic that you just so happened to overlook in your zeal dedication to attribute the differences to the system for all this time.
TBH (not just cynical), denying that system makes a difference strikes me as pointless. Obviously, systems are different, and those differences can't be quite meaningless.

You can systematize nearly anything - but it's always going to be at a cost.
Now, to turn around the prior cynicism: The "cost" can include no longer being able to abuse or leverage that lack of systematic coverage. Which, to everyone not already doing so, is really more of a benefit.

I think the more important question is, do you think it's possible to roleplay that same character in a system without such systemization mechanics?
Obviously. It's possible to RP the same character in the same scene, having the same reactions, /without any system at all/. When, for instance, you're improvising the scene by yourself, or when everyone else involved is on exactly the same page about how it should play out.

It's possible.

It's also possible you'll be hit by a meteorite before you finish the scene.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I think the more important question is, do you think it's possible to roleplay that same character in a system without such systemization mechanics?

If not, why not?

I'm going with no. Putting aside a theoretical possibility that you could, if everything was perfect, do so, I think that the incentives involved prevent any reasonable or even unreasonable assumption that this is possible.

To explore this, look at how the Powered by the Apocalypse game Blades in the Dark does characters. When you create a character in Blades, you have things you must have that are characterization related. You must have a heritage and background. These are similar to race and background in D&D. You also have to pick a non-PC close friend and a non-PC rival, which don't have a close analog in D&D. Also a vice, which could map to a flaw in 5e. Finally, a Playbook and Crew, which are like a class and a class for the whole party.

Now, to go to the incentives, here's the only ways to earn XP in Blades:

Here's how you earn XP in Blades:

During the game session, mark xp:
  • When you make a desperate action roll. Mark 1 xp in the attribute for the action you rolled. For example, if you roll a desperate Skirmish action, you mark xp in Prowess. When you roll in a group action that’s desperate, you also mark xp.

At the end of the session, review the xp triggers on your character sheet. For each one, mark 1 xp if it happened at all, or mark 2 xp if it happened a lot during the session. The xp triggers are:

• [*}Your playbook-specific xp trigger. For example “Address a challenge with violence or coercion.” To “address a challenge,” your character should attempt to overcome a tough obstacle or threat. It doesn’t matter if the action is successful or not. You get xp either way.
  • You expressed your beliefs, drives, heritage, or background. Your character’s beliefs and drives are yours to define, session to session. Feel free to tell the group about them when you mark xp.
  • You struggled with issues from your vice or traumas. Mark xp for this if your vice tempted you to some bad action or if a trauma condition caused you trouble. Simply indulging your vice doesn’t count as struggling with it (unless you overindulge).

From this alone you can see how the things you make your character about are incentivized strongly to show up in play, especially if it causes problems for you and your crew. I submit 5e lacks any of these things at all that are not GM rulings. You traits, bonds, flaws don't matter to play unless your GM is offering XP awards for them or if they offer Inspiration, but that choice is the GM's, not the players'. So, how well you roleplay your character is up to someone not you. This is reversed in Blades. Further, there's very little incentive in 5e to play up negative traits at all, as the rewards are usually paltry compared to the risks. While, in Blades, doing so is strongly incentivized by the XP system. Your choices of Score and the fallout are also very tightly integrated into the feedback mechanisms of Blades via the Faction Status and Crew Turf subsystems, so even there roleplay is tightly integrated into the system. 5e lacks any such incentivization outside of individual GM choices to judge you on your roleplay and offer rewards.

This goes to your larger claim that systemization of roleplay elements causes a loss of roleplay. This couldn't be further from the truth. The Blades character is, by the system, very tightly woven into the fabric of both play and the setting by the player build choices and especially by the player roleplaying choices. Including those choices that find things out about the character, like choosing to involve your close friend (who always has useful abilities) into a risky situation where the friend is at risk. Are you the type of person that would risk/sacrifice your close friend for advantage? If you succeed, then no, maybe you aren't, but if you fail and the friend pays the cost instead of you, then, well, you find out that your character is, indeed, that type of person. This is fundamentally not something that exists in 5e -- this kind of opportunity to roleplay is not available in that system.

Now, my best guess for your idiosyncratic definition of roleplay seems to include that it's only roleplay if the player chooses it -- nothing forced on the player is roleplaying, even if the force occurs after a failure on an action where the player explicitly risks an aspect of their character. This is you defining the term as how you prefer things, and not what the term means. This is adequately shown by your rather controversial claim that acting is not roleplaying.

You've lately been questioning how others can know if they aren't just projecting their preferences into reality. I would say that defining terms so that what you do is included but widely accepted uses are not would be a strong indicator of your question being true. I don't see [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] doing that, but I do see you doing it. You should maybe drop the statements that appear to be more projection than argument.

FrogReaver

TBH (not just cynical), denying that system makes a difference strikes me as pointless. Obviously, systems are different, and those differences can't be quite meaningless.

Sure. There's pros and cons to all - and often times those pros and cons may be more or less of a pro or con when filtered through an individual. Or as you surmised, some cons might become pros and some pros might become cons to some people.

Now, to turn around the prior cynicism: The "cost" can include no longer being able to abuse or leverage that lack of systematic coverage. Which, to everyone not already doing so, is really more of a benefit.

Of course! It depends on your goals, your likes and dislikes etc.

Obviously. It's possible to RP the same character in the same scene, having the same reactions, /without any system at all/. When, for instance, you're improvising the scene by yourself, or when everyone else involved is on exactly the same page about how it should play out.

It's possible.

It's also possible you'll be hit by a meteorite before you finish the scene.

This was hilarious.

Disregarding my contention about having the choice made for you and it's relation to roleplaying
Also disregarding others contentions about that not being possible...

It seems objective enough to note that some systems produce a systemic type of interaction and so can generate certain scenes more often than others. - but at what cost

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Maybe you just have a much more romanticized view of acting than I do. Actors stand in front of a green screen all day, Repeating the same scenes over and over till everyone gets it just right. They cry on demand. The recite lines. They know how to portray what appears to be genuine emotion even when they aren't feeling those emotions.
Ah - you're thinking movie actors where I was thinking live-stage actors; and yes, there is a difference.

But portraying a different emotion than what one really feels at the time? That's common to both stage acting and RPGs. If my PC has reason to be mad at someone about something then I'm going to portray it - through my words, expression, and tone - as being mad, never mind how happy I-as-player might be feeling at that moment because someone just fed me a slice of yummy pizza.

I don't view acting as roleplaying. The two are not mutually exclusive as I think some of the best actors likely do roleplay to some degree. But roleplay isn't a requirement IMO.

I think it's easy to take the final product and read roleplay into it when there wasn't necessarily alot of it there.
"Tonight the role of Julius Caesar will be played by Sir Alec Guinness", a live-theatre MC might have said 40 years ago in the UK. And thus, when we see Sir Alec on the stage there's an expectation that we the audience will see him as Julius Caesar even if for just the one night we happen to see the show; and there's a corollary expectation that says Sir Alec will do his best to make us think he really is Caesar during that same period of time.

The difference in an RPG, of course, is that we see the same people playing the same roles for much longer than just one "show". Add to that it's pretty much all unscripted and that the actors (rather than the writer and-or director) are responsible for defining the personality and traits they're trying to portray, and it's a different breed of animal once one gets past the common root: playing a role and acting are largely synonymous.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
On a side note: if you can fail forward... I suppose it's also possible to succeed toward escalating conflict. We could have a whole discussion around that idea.
At some point there's a very blurry dividing line between 'fail-forward' and what I call 'succeed-backward'.

Depending on context, finding a 1000 g.p. ruby instead of 1000 gold coins could fall into any of: full success, succeed-backward, fail-forward, or outright fail.

That's your assertion yes. It's interesting to note that all the systems with good to have experiences are not D&D. It's almost as if all of this is just a subtle way to tell everyone that they are having badwrongfun, without actually needing to call it that.

<snip>

But it seems that anything positive said about D&D is just crapped on here as if the OP suggesting that all RPG's have pros and cons really means all RPG's except D&D have pros and cons.
In fairness there's certainly been some support from that quarter for D&D 4e over time, and even in this thread, so it's not like D&D has been left completely in the dark.

My wife tends to dislike being in the ocean because she is afraid of it. For her the pool is much more thrilling.
And personally I find neither to be particularly thrilling at all, assuming 'thrilling' carries with it a certain level of fun or enjoyment. (as opposed to the other kind of 'thrill' where one finds oneself in the ocean not by one's own choice because one has just fallen off a boat) :)

FrogReaver

In fairness there's certainly been some support from that quarter for D&D 4e over time, and even in this thread, so it's not like D&D has been left completely in the dark.

Sure. I would just love once to hear their take on the pros of 5e in relation to roleplaying. What can it do that all these other systems can't?

pemerton

Legend
are there never disagreements or difference of opinion about when the rules say to roll?
Here is some rules text from Apocalypse World (which is one of the games [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] was referring to), pp 12 and 194.

The rule for moves is to do it, do it. In order for it to be a move and for the player to roll dice, the character has to do something that counts as that move; and whenever the character does something that counts as a move, it’s the move and the player rolls dice.

Usually it’s unambiguous: “dammit, I guess I crawl out there. I try to keep my head down. I’m doing it under fire?” “Yep.” But there are two ways they sometimes don’t line up, and it’s your job as MC to deal with them. . . .

Second is when a player has her character take action that counts as a move, but doesn’t realize it, or doesn’t intend it to be a move. For instance: “I shove him out of my way.” Your answer then should be “cool, you’re going aggro?” “I pout. ‘Well if you really don’t like me…’” “Cool, you’re trying to manipulate him?” “I squeeze way back between the tractor and the wall so they don’t see me.” “Cool, you’re acting under fire?”

You don’t ask in order to give the player a chance to decline to roll, you ask in order to give the player a chance to revise her character’s action if she really didn’t mean to make the move. “Cool, you’re going aggro?” Legit: “oh! No, no, if he’s really blocking the door, whatever, I’ll go the other way.” Not legit: “well no, I’m just shoving him out of my way, I don’t want to roll for it.” The rule for moves is if you do it, you do it, so make with the dice. . . .

An example of a mistake & correction:
Wilson corners Monk. “I scream at him, shove him, call him names. ‘Stay ******** away from Amni, you creepy little ****.’ I’m going aggro on him.” “Cool,” I say. “Do you pull a weapon, or is it just shoving and yelling?” “Oh, yeah, no, it’s just shoving and yelling.” “Well, that’s fine,” I say, “but if he forces your hand, he takes 0-harm. I’m pretty sure that’s what he’s going to do. Do you want to roll for it anyway? Do you want to bring a weapon to bear after all? Oh hold on — I think you’re actually using the threat as leverage, you’re manipulating him, not going aggro. Want to roll+hot for that?” “Oh!” Wilson’s player says. “Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. Right on.”​

So if it's not initially clear whether a, or what, roll is required, then everyone clarifies the fiction and the intent until it is clear what move, is any, is being performed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases