Players choose what their PCs do . . .

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Sure. I would just love once to hear their take on the pros of 5e in relation to roleplaying. What can it do that all these other systems can't?

Is that all? You want someone to tell you what 5e does well? Sheesh, you're like that character Warren from Empire Records that holds up the record store because he wants a job there -- your approach is wildly divergent from your goal.

As I have disagreed mightily with you this entire thread but yet also run a weekly 5e game, I should be well qualified to answer this:

5e does exploration well. It's designed on the premise that the PCs will be acting in a GM built world and exploring the fictional contours the GM has in mind. And, it does this well. It's structure of strong GM authority give the GM the needed control to curate the experience. With a skilled GM, the play is exciting and surprising for the players.

5e does zero to hero well. If you want to play a character that goes from nobody to demi-god, it's hard to find a better system to do this in. It strongly caters to these kinds of roleplaying experiences in ways that other systems, including my favorite alternate Blades in the Dark, do not.

5e does character control well. There's a lot to be said for being able to have absolute authority over once characterization -- to decide what it is you want to roleplay and not be challenged on that. This lets you focus on the external-to-character challenges the game presents which ties very nicely into my first point as much of the game will revolve around this kind of play.

5e scratches that tactical itch, the one the system mastery hangs out with, very well -- much better than many other systems that use more generalized mechanics for conflict resolution. The predictability of the system goes a long way towards this, and that ties into the roleplaying by not putting characterization at risk so the players have that stable backdrop to free space for tactical play.

Does this assuage?

hawkeyefan

Legend
Sure. I would just love once to hear their take on the pros of 5e in relation to roleplaying. What can it do that all these other systems can't?

I play D&D all the time. From a rules standpoint, it doesn’t do a whole lot to help roleplaying. In 5E, you have your class which defines your overall role as part of the party. You have your race and background which give some idea of your role in society. You have your alignment which gives you your overall moral views. There’s a bit of overlap with them, but that’s what these things do.

In addition to that, 5E has Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws. These things give you some more specific facets of your character. This is the kind of thing I think most long time players have always done to some extent, but now it’s formalized as part of character creation.

So these are the elements of the 5E D&D rules that pertain to roleplaying. You certainly can come up with a limitless combination of them to create a unique character.

But none of them have strong mechanical implications. Even alignment has lost its teeth. The idea of switching alignment used to be a kind of scary thing. There could be severe repercussions if it happened. Not any more. Now you can play your character however you want. Other than race and class and background, the other stuff could shift if the player decided. Have a flaw that comes up at a really inconvenient time? Ignore it! Tempted to steal despite your Lawful Good alignment? Shift To Neutral!

With minimal effort, any such change can be justified with fictional reasoning. Without any rules to incentivize roleplay, it becomes uncertain and inconsistent. Sure, a group of players may revel in their characters and “play them true” regardless of how challenging that may make things for them. That’s great! I think my group largely does that.

So while there are things in D&D that help players roleplay, they aren’t all that compelling. Nor are they really unique to D&D. Most games have similar elements to class, race, background, and so on. At best, D&D 5E allows players to decide what they’d like for their character...which can be a good thing. But as you’ve pointed out, there are pros and cons to everything. We could just as easily say that D&D 5E allows players to be totally inconsistent in how they portray their character.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity

I'm afraid this will sound like damning with faint praise, but it is the result of an honest evaluation that comes from running and playing 5e. Much like Fate, I consider 5e to be a really well designed game that excels at a style of play I have very little interest in. 5e excels at GM led and mediated storytelling where the emphasis is on resolving the adventure that is put in front of the PCs with carefully managed spotlight balancing. The character generation rules do a good job of generating characters that have some interesting bits of characterization, but few outside entanglements. The resolution system is completely opaque to the players. The systems that encourage role play are about light characterization and not playing with integrity. In my experience from both sides of the screen it is not a good game for diving deep into character. It's not really designed for that. It's like really good at what it does though.

For what it's worth I would not layer in social mechanics with teeth to 5e. Every player's real motivation is assumed to be resolving the adventure. I do not think there really is extra room to give there. Players' hands are already pretty tied.

Please do not think I'm being cute when I talk about GM mediated story telling. That is exactly what a large portion of the audience wants and a lot of the games I play are actively hostile to it. Blades in the Dark and Apocalypse World make it incredibly obvious if a GM is trying to lead play down particular avenues. In general the way information gathering and social skills work in these games betray attempts to be sly and characters have a lot of resources to get the things they want, but it could also go really badly.

pemerton

Legend
The obvious answer is that it depends on the type/style of game. In many versions of D&D the DM is granted a special status. In some indie games the dice determine who narrates or how the narrative flows. Both options are good.

It is elegant but it doesn't suit all stories or styles of play.
I guess I'm assuming that - or wondering whether - there is more that can be said than just It's my preference. That is, that it's possible to articulate why it's good.

Upthread, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] asserted that 4e's hp mechanic is flawed because it doesn't conform to his expectations for a hp mechanic. That's a pretty strong claim - that his way of thinking is better. Presumably there's something that can be said to expain the weaker claim that it is good.

EDIT: So I've read on now almost to the end of the thread. Some posters have posted about why this can be good (neither [MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION] nor [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION], oddly enough). As I've just posted in response to them, I'm reminded of a certain approach to 2nd ed AD&D.

The good of the GM's "special status" seems to consist in curating the players, via their PCs, through an adventure with a reasonably pre-determined structure/sequence of events, or fictional elements to be encountered. (I think this is what [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] means by "exploration", and what [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] has in mind in expressing worries about challenges/obstacles being "bypassed".)

Now can someone tell me how that sort of play is going to put fundamental pressure on the player's conception of the character? I've not seen that in the real world, and I'm not seeing it in these descriptions either.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
some bristling, defensive 30-something (because this was 20+ years ago, remember), D&Der would present a transcript of a lavishly-roleplayed scenario that happened in his campaign 10 years previously (or that he just made up or embellished), as proof that oh, yeah, you can totally RP the effn'eck outta D&D.

<snip>

systems don't make possible things that are /impossible/ in other systems, they cover things that, in other systems, are handled by falling back to Freestyle RP - GM stipulation, table consensus, whatever you want to call it - in certain obvious cases, handled that way by hoary time-honored convention.
I've highlighted you use of the word things. I think you're using it to refer to certain sorts of events in the fiction. The sorts of things that might be presented on a messageboard in the form of a transcript.

In my post I was talking about experiences had by the players, at the table. The transcript - the in-fiction events - is one component of these. But does not exhaust them.

To give an obvious example: a transcript that reports a PC narrowly avoiding a dragon's breath by diving over the edge of a ravine into the stream below might be a report of GM narration/railroading; or a report of 30 minutes of tactical play where all sorts of possibilities were open and the dynamics of the table-interactions produced this particualr outcome; or a report of the outcomes of some Cortex+ Heroic narration+dice pool action; or who knows what other method of resolution.

The transcript might be the same, but the play experience won't have been.

pemerton

Legend
those choices that find things out about the character, like choosing to involve your close friend (who always has useful abilities) into a risky situation where the friend is at risk. Are you the type of person that would risk/sacrifice your close friend for advantage? If you succeed, then no, maybe you aren't, but if you fail and the friend pays the cost instead of you, then, well, you find out that your character is, indeed, that type of person. This is fundamentally not something that exists in 5e -- this kind of opportunity to roleplay is not available in that system.
I see this as somewhat similar to what I posted upthread - that in AD&D there's no systematic way to put your connection to family on the line.

I think all you have is a few personal experiences that you've spent a lot of time analyzing and trying to extrapolate as general principles for all mankind.

So you first. Tell us that you don't actually know everything you've been discussing and talking about all this time. It's okay to do so after all.

I don’t know what the point of this response was. It doesn’t engage with anything I’ve said. You won’t me to...say that I don’t know what I’m talking about? Huh?

Further, it’s a claim about me that has absolutely no evidence to back it up. What claim from ignorance do you think that I’m making that isn’t backed by evidence and won’t stand up under scrutiny?

If you’re looking for an example of my willingness to claim ignorance on something RPG, look no further than my engagement with Tony (which you read) about Hero. I don’t know it. If I want to engage in a discussion about it I’ll either (a) educate myself with firsthand experience or (b) ask questions of and listen to people who do know it.

There are lots of things I don’t know. Pick 3 topics and you’re sure to find at least 1 with plenty I don’t know about.

Ok.

So this is starting to look like edition war stuff.

Ill answer your question:

1) 5e doesn’t get enough credit for its Social Interaction mechanics. In a system that is about GM-mediated puzzle-solving, they did a great job of exemplifying that with a subsystem that feels like Wheel of Fortune or Pictionary in play...which, coincidentally is similar to trying to get to know a person and influence them.

2) Background Traits, though limited, do a great job of providing the kind of cross-character player fiat that was only available to spellcasters in AD&D and 3.x.

3) Lair and Legendary Actions are quite good for thematic and tactical dynamism. If only they were orthodox across monsters.

4) 5e makes no bones about its emulation of AD&D. I called it AD&D 3e in the play-test because it was utterly obvious that they were surveying, consulting, and designing with intent toward that paradigm. What does it do well:

* The heavy GM mediated experience of 2e where players are touring a setting or being run through a preconceived metaplot (either GM conceived or an AP). The opacity and GM facing resolution machinery and the GMing ethos (spotlight balancing, lead storytelling, et al) allows for GMs to deftly curate the experience, deploying Force and Illusionism where necessary to achieve the desired result of the experience of the setting, metaplot, and fun for casual players who are inclined toward a more passive role (which is a HUGE number of players), heavy on characterization and some GM-curated dice throws to actualize character concept in his/her story medium.

* It’s probably the best hexcrawl game on the market (or at least the ones I’ve run). The exploration mechanics/measurements/PC tools are integrated very well. So it does a good game with a predefined, tightly scaled map with various threats and goings-ons for players to navigate and engage strategic decision-making (where to go, how to go there, what resources to allocate). So 1e but vastly superior.

* If you crib the necessary tech from Moldvay Basic, it can do it well enough...though not as good as the original.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don’t know what the point of this response was. It doesn’t engage with anything I’ve said. You won’t me to...say that I don’t know what I’m talking about? Huh?

Further, it’s a claim about me that has absolutely no evidence to back it up. What claim from ignorance do you think that I’m making that isn’t backed by evidence and won’t stand up under scrutiny?

If you’re looking for an example of my willingness to claim ignorance on something RPG, look no further than my engagement with Tony (which you read) about Hero. I don’t know it. If I want to engage in a discussion about it I’ll either (a) educate myself with firsthand experience or (b) ask questions of and listen to people who do know it.

There are lots of things I don’t know. Pick 3 topics and you’re sure to find at least 1 with plenty I don’t know about.

Right you were talking about knowing RPG's from experience (which on a side note I have admitted I don't have experience based knowledge. However I do have cognitive based knowledge in that I'm able to imagine such a game system and how it would play for me)

What I was doing was pointing out the irony that you were going on about people not being able to admit they don't know something when you yourself can't admit you don't really know - that all you actually know is that for you RPG X does Y.

Ok.

So this is starting to look like edition war stuff.

It has sounded that way to me for most of this thread.

Right you were talking about knowing RPG's from experience (which on a side note I have admitted I don't have experience based knowledge. However I do have cognitive based knowledge in that I'm able to imagine such a game system and how it would play for me)

What I was doing was pointing out the irony that you were going on about people not being able to admit they don't know something when you yourself can't admit you don't really know - that all you actually know is that for you RPG X does Y.

It has sounded that way to me for most of this thread.

I see.

So TTRPG systems and play are not objective things and cannot be analyzed empirically and anyone that attempts to do so is a big jerk?

Is that pretty much the gist?

Following from that, you’ve just wasted my (and others) time with a rhetorical request to evaluate 5e that you obviously had no interest in engaging with. Feels bad. Please don’t make such requests, get sincere replies, and then completely ignore them. If you think TTRPG analysis isn’t useful, or actively harmful, why are engaging in a thread like this?

pemerton

Legend
When did the players suggest something? They declare attempted actions. Are you equating an attempted action declaration with a suggestion?
An action declaration is a proposal that the fiction should include a certain content. For instance, I [try and] climb the wall is a proposal as to the content of the shared fiction, namely, that it includes the PC climbing the wall.

I don't think that the GM always decides is controversial in D&D.
pemerton said:
But if acting is not roleplaying, then where does the roleplaying consist of in a game in which the GM decides all the outcomes? What are the players doing in such a game other than some improv acting?
Playing their character and seeing what happens.
I don't know what playing their character means here other than some improv acting. If the GM is deciding everything that happens, what else are the players contributing to the game?

I've played games of D&D in which the players did more than improv acting, but that's because, in those games, the GM didn't decide everything that happens. This is why I regard it as controversial to assert that, in D&D, the GM always decides. Because that doesn't describe all my D&D experiences.

So what actual reasons do you have for asserting that a 1000gp ruby can never be a success? (not that a 1000gp ruby with a major downside is not a success).
I didn't say it can never be a success. I said that it's not per se a success ie it can be a failure (which I took you to deny).

If the intent is to find some treasure, then a ruby may well be a success. But the action declaration you described was to find 1000 gp. If you meant an intent to find 1000 gp worth of treasure then of course finding the ruby would be a success.

This is very similar to [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] upthread, who seemed to treat an intent to find incriminating financial documents as equivalent to an intent to find something that might be incrminating. If you're meaning the more general intent then I don't quite get why you're presenting your examples by reference to the narrower more specific intent.

Rolling a dice doesn't challenge a player.
No one asserts that it does. The challenge is putting the consequence of the die roll on the line.

you don't need dice to challenge the players conception of their character or the fictional world as the same narration that challenges the player can be achieved with no dice being rolled.
This claim hasn't been demonstrated.

For instance, how in AD&D, or 5e D&D, can a player put his/her PC's connection with a friend or a family member on the line, without this just being an invitation for the GM to make a decision about what that NPC does?

It's interesting to note that all the systems with good to have experiences are not D&D. It's almost as if all of this is just a subtle way to tell everyone that they are having badwrongfun, without actually needing to call it that.

But that aside, on an individual level I full agree that different systems can yield totally different experiences.

<snip>

My repeated theme this whole thread has been that has been that different game systems play differently and appeal to different people, but that most everything you claim my favored system can't handle, that it actually can and does. That it's rules light non-combat system offers greater opportunities in roleplaying than other more codified systems (not saying those other systems aren't fun).

But it seems that anything positive said about D&D is just crapped on here as if the OP suggesting that all RPG's have pros and cons really means all RPG's except D&D have pros and cons.

<snip>

What has been asserted for most of this thread is that the roleplaying is superior in these other games. That the roleplaying examples being mentioned aren't possible in D&D etc. That's where the disagreement lies.
I would just love once to hear their take on the pros of 5e in relation to roleplaying. What can it do that all these other systems can't?
I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with me that different systems produce different experiences, or are asserting that 5e D&D prodocuse the same experiences as any other system. I'm not sure that both claims can be true.

I don't play 5e D&D, so I can't tell you what its pros are in relation to roleplaying.

Classic D&D (inlcuding Moldvay Basic and Gygax's AD&D) is quite a good system if you want to play a dungeon crawl: it has a range of systems to support that including wandering monster systems, mapping conventions, rules for searching in dungeons, systems for retainer/hireling loyalty, etc.

The only other systems I personally know that aim to support this sort of play are T&T and Torchbearer - I've played a tiny bit of the former and none of the latter. But [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] knows Torchbearer.

4e D&D is a completely different game from classic D&D - it shares some subsystems but almost none of the broader framework of play. It's a game of epic, often gonzo, fantasy/cosmological adventure. It doesn't have the dungeon-crawling subsystems of classic D&D, but it does have systems to help it do what it does, including the skill challenge mechanic.

Someone else will have to post about 5e D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases