D&D 2E 2E Priests Vs 5E Domains

aco175

Legend
I do not want to sound rude, but why even change it. Especially if you do not seem to have the time and say you are too busy. You could leave it since the playtesters and designers spend time on this and came up with a good system. You can also have you players come up with this if they want to play a specialty priest. Another option is that you make only the ones your players plan to play to make it easier on yourself.

I do not want to sound rude, but why even change it. Especially if you do not seem to have the time and say you are too busy. You could leave it since the playtesters and designers spend time on this and came up with a good system. You can also have you players come up with this if they want to play a specialty priest. Another option is that you make only the ones your players plan to play to make it easier on yourself.

Doesn't sound rude to me, it's a good question. I do like 5E. But, I've never seen a version of D&D I didn't find something to homebrew / change :) I think I will do it, over time. Not all at once. I'm not unemployed :D The first step will be spells and spheres. That will burn a lot of time. As to why, I'll enjoy it, and (eventually) get some use out of it (starting with the new / converted spells). I enjoy the process as much as anything.

For those playing the FR, there's nice book on the DMguild that create a domain (and paladin's oath) for 48 of the main human deity of Faerun, plus Corellon and Moradin and some specialty spells. You may want to look at it.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/243212/Faiths-of-the-Forgotten-Realms?term=faith+of+

Looks interesting and the reviews are excellent (including several reviewers who I've read reviews for before and agreed with). I don't run a Forgotten realms game but I'm not against borrowing / using material :) I'm thinking the hardcover and PDF option.

Thanks for the heads up.

Celebrim

Legend
I have always treated spells as being chargen and customization resources.

If you want to RP a cleric that is defined in part by a particular selection of spells based around a theme, I don't think anything stops you from doing so with the possible exception of a lack of suitable spells providing for that theme.

When I give an answer like that, typically I get a response like, "But the temptation to depart from your theme and choose spells based solely on utility is too great."

To which I respond, "If that is true, them you really didn't want to play a cleric defined by a particular selection of spells based around a theme in the first place."

I think 3e was mostly on the right track with it's customizable Domain selections. They were super generic and not very intrusive. I've made several tweaks to the cleric in 3e, but mostly revolving around things that pull the cleric down from being a Tier 1 character class so as to improve balance between casters and non-casters. One of those tweaks, not really intended to support themes per se, is that clerics only have a limited number of spells known and not access to every spell on the cleric list. This makes Domain selections for the cleric far more important in and of itself, without changing anything else, which in turn makes two clerics with different deities feel rather different and allows players to make them as different and thematic as they want without constraining players with other goals.

I know but I'm talking about explicit wizard spells. Clerics lobbing fire ball for example.

Well, that's not really a goal that I'm intending to support.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases