D&D 5E Looting Monsters?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I allow it, but:

1. I enforce encumbrance rules

2. It is not "treasure": You don't get XP for the GP value of the sold items

For those scratching their heads or taking umbrage at these two points:

For point one: we use D&D Beyond, so tracking encumbrance is pretty easy. But it is enough of a hassle that they generally do not want to bother. That said, they've recently been building up a stronghold and have been stocking it with better quality items they've recovered and lesser quality items for their blacksmith. Increasingly, however, it is becoming inconvenient and not worth the hassle so they just leave that stuff behind.

For point two: we are using a rule of XP for extracted treasure. Coins are worth 1 XP per GP just by getting it back to their stronghold. Other treasure must be sold for XP, but common items and magic items are not worth XP.

So, generally, they will now only keep items that are either worth a lot of GP per pound OR are personally useful to them. So not only does most mundane gear other than ammunition get left behind, but they'll leave copper pieces, sometimes silver, or valuable but bulky/heavy items.

Our current campaign is Rappan Athuk, a mega dungeon.

sectorbob

Villager
In my game, most 'evil' races (i.e. the monsters that raid and control dungeons) will be using tattered (will break on a natural roll of 1-3 on a d20, repairable after 15mins and a skill check), poor quality (looks like crap, most will not like it) and worn (will need to be maintained between battles, 10min to do, or disadvantage with use) equipment. Each of those conditions half the value and used equipment is sold for half value at best. At low levels (1 to 3) the players will spend time to gather and drag around till a they can sell it but above that not so much.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I did one adventure, as a beginner DM, where I let my players loot monsters that they kill of their weapons and armor, but they can only sell it for 1/4 of the original price. They still ended up getting too much money, so I stopped doing that, but I want know how other people do looting monsters, or if you do at all?
My question is, what's wrong with their having "too much money"? Is there even such a thing in D&D?

I mean, chances are they're going to end up stinking rich anyway once the campaign gets rolling; and if that day arrives an adventure or two sooner than it otherwise might it's no skin off my nose.

And while many here are rightly saying that monsters' gear is likely of substandard quality, the same cannot (usually) be said of that of other people the PCs might defeat - bandits, cultists, etc. - and IMO looting that for use or profit is fair game provided the PCs have some means of carrying it all.

Most tables I've played at and all the ones I've DMed have just said that monsters have pretty standard gear, and only in rare instances have players actually wanted to collect the armor and weapons, beyond what they personally needed (or needed for the zombie army they planned to raise or whatnot). The exceptions have been times when they had a cart or such handy or were within a short walk of a shop. You don't even need the optional encumbrance rules with most players, you just have to say that its a bunch of junk and we're going to have to calculate the weights and figure out how you're carrying it because it won't all fit in your backpacks, and players generally lose interest. The rare occasions where they don't don't add up to all that much money and don't break the game.

Quickleaf

Legend
That's not a problem with one of my players. His character is a Rogue Thief, and he doesn't believe in heroism, so he would like to steal all the useless junk he can get his hands on.
Yeah, when I have a player like that I try to include really interesting stuff among the monster's belongings. The armor may or may not be salvageable, the weapons may or may not be worth much, but I like to include weird stuff. Lady Tiefling on Instagram has some great "I Loot The...." tables that I highly recommend.

MarkB

Legend
If my players want to scavenge opponents' gear, that's fine. I leave it to them to track what they're carrying, and to sell it at half value in town.

I don't see any good reason to tell them what their character would or would not do, or arbitrarily say "yeah, since these are bad guys their gear is automatically junk."

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
My question is, what's wrong with their having "too much money"? Is there even such a thing in D&D?
I was wondering this too. What effect is having "too much money" on your game. Are magic items easily availalbe so they spend it all on gear? You could limit that. Are they giving up quest hooks because they don't need the payments?

In my high level campaign, the PCs are ridiculously rich (one player measure's his wealth by how many warships he can by), but it hasn't hampered play.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just....let my players have money?

I guess I have trouble seeing ya'll's perspective because my games aren't based on people who are broke and need to adventure in order to get a room at the next tavern, or whatever. It's not a style of play anyone in my group enjoys.

But if they want to sell the bandit's weaponry, and armor, people are generally pretty pragmatic about stuff that is expensive to make, used infrequently, but extremely good to have when it is needed. It's cheaper to buy studded leather armor from you than make it themselves. Shields and spears are fairly cheap, but a well made sword? Who cares who made it, it's seen use without breaking, it's still in good condition, the mage even used magic to get rid of the nicks and put it back to freshly sharpened, why wouldn't I give this guy a penny or two for it? There's bandits about, and the knight is offering to teach folks how to fight proper, for free.

Course, if they'll take a meal and bed in trade, instead, so much the better.

When they progress past the small stuff, they're fighting real professionals. I'm not going to pretend the hobgoblin mercenaries were using crappy kit that no one wants just to...I don't even know what? What purpose is served by not letting players sell stuff, again?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I was wondering this too. What effect is having "too much money" on your game. Are magic items easily availalbe so they spend it all on gear? You could limit that. Are they giving up quest hooks because they don't need the payments?

In my high level campaign, the PCs are ridiculously rich (one player measure's his wealth by how many warships he can by), but it hasn't hampered play.
Yeah in my games at a certain point I just tell them, "you're rich now, just tell me what you want to do, and we will discuss what makes sense". If they want to get more detailed about it even at high level, there are a thousand things to spend gold on in the world. Castles and craftsfolk and rare material components and access to experts and audiences with kings and ships and trade charters and mercenary company charters and temples and gear for allies and followers...too much gold? I've never seen it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases