I'm moving to Salt Lake City -- any suggestions?

haiiro

First Post
My company is moving me to Salt Lake City, and I don't know anyone there. I've been to Utah before (and loved it), but never to SLC itself.

I know there's at least one gaming store, Hastur Hobbies, and it looks like Comcast high-speed internet (cablemodem) service is available -- both are musts. ;)

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? Good places to buy third party d20 stuff, or to find other gamers? Areas to look for a good apartment? All feedback will be very welcome! :)

Who do you work for? I have a friend who moved from SLC to Canton, MI not long ago...

I'm not terribly familiar with SLC itself; although I have a brother living in Holladay (a suburb up against the Wasatch mountains from SLC proper) and he swears by it.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Welcome!!!

haiiro said:
My company is moving me to Salt Lake City, and I don't know anyone there. I've been to Utah before (and loved it), but never to SLC itself.

I know there's at least one gaming store, Hastur Hobbies, and it looks like Comcast high-speed internet (cablemodem) service is available -- both are musts. ;)

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? Good places to buy third party d20 stuff, or to find other gamers? Areas to look for a good apartment? All feedback will be very welcome! :)

Well haiiro, welcome to Utah. Don't let us Mormons scare you. Most of us are a right good bunch, but stay clear of the fundamentalists in Manti, unless you're into that plural wives thing :p

I live about 2 and a half hours north of SLC in a city called Logan. There is a really good store about an hour north of SLC called The Bookshelf. It's in a town called Ogden. Look up two ENWorlders called fenzer and Lela. They hang out in the Story Hour forum regularly. They both live in SLC I believe.

Son of Thunder

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Laugh Point for you!!

Steel_Wind said:
Uhm...pick up the Book of Erotic Fantasy and Book of Vile Darkness before you move to Salt Lake City? :p

:p
Both of these books were at my LGS in good ol happy valley. They sold quite well actually.

Son of Thunder

haiiro

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Who do you work for? I have a friend who moved from SLC to Canton, MI not long ago...

Republic Parking. I don't think we're in Canton, though we might be.

Thanks for the comments so far -- and hopefully I'll still be able to order the BoEF online (maybe they can ship it in a plain brown wrapper?). ;)

ssampier

First Post
I'm a Utah resident myself. It is a GREAT area for any outdoor activities that you want to do, whether hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, skiing, etc.

I'm not too familiar with gaming in Salt Lake City area proper, but the Necromancer Games writer, Elton Robb, lives in the area. I'm sure you shouldn't have too many problem finding a game store and a group to game with.

Oh, before you leave, be sure to bring all the "normal" beer you can drink. Beer in Utah (not in state sponsored liquor store or in a private club) is only 6.4 proof (3.2% alcohol).

((BTW, Son_of_Thunder I actually lived in Ogden for three years for school and frequented the Bookself a few times)

mikedidthis

First Post
Welcome to Utah! Hastur Hobbies is definitely the best shop for RPG stuff in SLC. If you head further south to Provo (my neck of the woods), then Dragon's Keep is the place to go (I game there regularly...they are a great bunch). The other game shops in the area tend to focus on CCGs and Minis, to the near exclusion of RPGs. There is a relatively new store in a town called Pleasant Grove (in between SLC and Provo), though I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. I dropped in a couple of times and they seemed pretty well stocked with d20 stuff. It's a little out of my way, though, so I haven't really kept tabs on them.

The comcast high-speed seems good. I just switched over to it from DSL last week and it's been great so far.

Best of luck with the move!

Dreaddisease

First Post
I wasn't too impressed with Dragon's Keep. Everytiime I go in there I get these looks like 'you're not welcome' or 'I wish the world would fold over and consume me'. Either way I just felt uncomfortable. I live south of SLC in Salem. Never been to Hastur Hobbies, but they have commercials on the radio so they are a step ahead of other RPG shops.

I would suggest that if you are a liquor lover to get used to going to driving to Evanston, Wy or adjust your habit to visiting the state liquor store on Weekdays except election days.

Welcome to the desert, where we seem to not care and water our lawns everyday.

Remove ads