I'm moving to Salt Lake City -- any suggestions?

sparxmith

First Post
haiiro said:
My company is moving me to Salt Lake City, and I don't know anyone there. I've been to Utah before (and loved it), but never to SLC itself.

All feedback will be very welcome! :)

I have a one word answer:

QUIT!!!

BTW, I apologize in advance if this is offensive to anyone. I love Utah, however, I'd never want to live there.

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
sparxmith said:
I have a one word answer:

QUIT!!!

Heh. No offense taken, but also not likely -- it's a great opportunity, and by all accounts SLC is a beautiful place to live. ;)

Keep the comments coming -- they're much appreciated. :)

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
haiiro said:
Heh. No offense taken, but also not likely -- it's a great opportunity, and by all accounts SLC is a beautiful place to live. ;)

Keep the comments coming -- they're much appreciated. :)

I would not say "all" accounts.
By my account I would rather have to chew my own leg off than live in Salt Lake City. Then again, I feel that way about most of the United States. The only places in the US I actually enjoyed living in were New York and New Orleans.

BTW, everyone here has mentioned the alcohol thing, I would say an equal if not greater crisis is the challenge in finding a decent café in SLC. Anyone have any insight on that one?

Nisarg

haiiro

First Post
Nisarg said:
I would not say "all" accounts.
By my account I would rather have to chew my own leg off than live in Salt Lake City. Then again, I feel that way about most of the United States. The only places in the US I actually enjoyed living in were New York and New Orleans.

Never been to New Orleans, but I grew up in NYC. I miss it -- heck, I've missed it for most of the 10 years I've lived in the Ann Arbor area, but it's so expensive by comparison that I'm not sure how well I'd do there at the moment.

Warrior

First Post
I'll add my welcome as well. Though not a native to the state, I've been living here for the past 17 years (has it really been that long?). I work in SLC, but actually live about 30 minutes north of the city in Layton.

SLC has enough to keep one entertained, but doesn't really compare well against true metroplexes. Even the best gaming stores in the area are really pretty dinky when compared to what you can find in NY, Texas, and California (other places I have lived over the years). I spend at least one lunch hour a week browsing Hastur Hobbies since the store isn't too far from my office, but I hate paying retail so I've created my own connection for when I actually purchase gaming stuff. At one point or another, I've been to every gaming and comic store in the state, but I'd trade them all for a Lone Star Comics. There's probably half as many stores now than we had 10 years ago (a sad comment on the state of our beloved hobby) and most are pretty widely dispersed, so you'll probably want to stick with the one you end up living closest too.

There are alot of nice places to live, but traffic sucks all over the Wasatch Front, so you'll want to find a place close to where you will be working. Be aware as well, that there are still many "dead zones" where broadband is not available yet. I live in one (Comcast bastards!) and get a top dial-up speed of 26.4K when the stars align just right.

techno

Explorer
Don't listen to the naysayers. Salt Lake City is a great place to live. Welcome to Utah!

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
Warrior said:
Be aware as well, that there are still many "dead zones" where broadband is not available yet. I live in one (Comcast bastards!) and get a top dial-up speed of 26.4K when the stars align just right.

Oooooh...sucky. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this, and working broadband is one of my apartment requirements -- thanks for the tip.

And thanks for the welcomes and other comments, everyone! :)

Edit: I'd love to find a couple of good used bookstores -- any recommendations?

Last edited:

KingCroMag

First Post
Just wanted to welcome you to our fair city. There is a great used book store downtown named Zions/Sam Weller's Bookstore. It is truly huge. It has three levels of books. In the downtown area Barnes and Noble in the Gateway has a good selection of RPG material as well (a gamer is in management there).

For apartments I would look for something close to where you work. If you knew the whereabouts I could probably recommend some apartments. There are some deals in the city right now due to a large vacency rate. The city fathers have plans to move an extention of Provo up to North Temple as well as LDS Business Collage and that is expected to change the downtown a bit.

If you don't have a car then I would recommend something close to the Traxx network.

There are several good places to eat. What are you looking for?

-Hope this helps. I will check back later.

haiiro

First Post
KingCroMag said:
For apartments I would look for something close to where you work. If you knew the whereabouts I could probably recommend some apartments. There are some deals in the city right now due to a large vacency rate.

I believe I'll be working at or right around American Plaza, and I've got a car. I've been using Rent.com to pinpoint some listings, and it seems like there are a lot of nice places available -- specific suggestions would be very welcome. I don't mind a drive, but since I won't know anyone I'd rather not be in the boonies. ;)

Thanks for the welcome, and the bookstore recommendations! :)

Psion

Adventurer
Number one suggestion -- if you company has engineering positions, put me in touch with your HR department so I can get out of the mid Atlantic and get closer to my family. Do that and I'll also have a gamer in need of a game for you. ;)

My father in law deals in upscale real estate in the area if you happen to be rather more wealthy than me. Were talking $400k+ range here...

Remove ads