D&D 5E Deconstructing 5e: Typical Wealth by Level

dave2008

Legend
I really wish I had the energy and willpower to answer you properly. In the meanwhile you'll just have to trust me.

Understood - I don't have the time & energy to go through the book and verify treasure myself. Just at a glance it doesn't seem out of line.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's a good thing. Giving PCs easy access to magic items was a bad idea in 3E and 4E.

Note WoTC barely follows their own rules for items, money and encounters.

Whether it's good or bad is entirely opinion based. For you and I it's bad, and for [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] it's good. He has rules in Xanthar's for buying magic items now, and if he doesn't like that brand of strawberry ice cream, he has the ingredients for the strawberry ice cream he wants, so he can make his own.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
and a true utility-based pricing system; people who really know rarity is fundamentally broken but for some reason can't admit to themselves WotC essentially phoned in something useless just to be able to fake-news-style claim they did offer a system even though it is by no means a worthy successor to the 3E DMG system...

You are asking for WotC to produce a genuine Chupacabra for you, though. It's simply not possible to produce an easy pricing system that will cover magic items. Within each rarity of each level, there are items that are much better or much worse than the baseline for that level and rarity. A general system like you are asking for will be broken from the get go. The only really viable way to price magic items is individually, and the DM is the best one to do that pricing.

CapnZapp

Legend
You are asking for WotC to produce a genuine Chupacabra for you, though. It's simply not possible to produce an easy pricing system that will cover magic items. Within each rarity of each level, there are items that are much better or much worse than the baseline for that level and rarity. A general system like you are asking for will be broken from the get go. The only really viable way to price magic items is individually, and the DM is the best one to do that pricing.
First: please stop talking about rarity. Price should depend on utility. Thank you.

Then: no, you don't get to set up an impossibly ideal and perfect implementation as the only goal, and then conclude this is so impossible there's no point in even trying. That's bottom-feeder level argumentation.

I am not asking for anything strange. I am asking for something that Paizo currently supports for Pathfinder .

This very idea that a whole subsystem of 3rd edition is suddenly impossible in 5E is ludicrous.

I get that WotC wants it be true, so they don't have to hire a bigger dev team. But why any fan would ever think it I will maybe never get.

Of course it can be done. It should be done. It would finally mean official campaigns are once again supported by the rules!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
First: please stop talking about rarity. Price should depend on utility. Thank you.

So first, no. I will not stop talking about rarity, which absolutely plays into price along WITH utility. Ever hear of supply and demand? Lack of supply = higher prices. That means that rare + utility will result in higher prices than common + utility. You can ignore a major component of pricing if you like, but don't expect anyone else to.

Then: no, you don't get to set up an impossibly ideal and perfect implementation as the only goal, and then conclude this is so impossible there's no point in even trying. That's bottom-feeder level argumentation.

I am not asking for anything strange. I am asking for something that Paizo currently supports for Pathfinder .

This very idea that a whole subsystem of 3rd edition is suddenly impossible in 5E is ludicrous.

It was impossible in 3e as well. That's why the pricing system in 3e was so broken. I had to change virtually every price in 3e(when a magic item was even available for sale in my game), because the given price was either too high or too low.

CapnZapp

Legend
So first, no. I will not stop talking about rarity, which absolutely plays into price along WITH utility. Ever hear of supply and demand? Lack of supply = higher prices. That means that rare + utility will result in higher prices than common + utility. You can ignore a major component of pricing if you like, but don't expect anyone else to.
No.

You're ignoring the complaint. 5E suggests prices based on rarity. Rarity WotC themselves make up. In short, they're grabbing prices out of their ass.

If the base market price was based on utility, that would mean we got help with the difficult part.

Then saying "this stuff is rare around here" and doubling that objective price is easy, something you or I can do on the fly.

Just stop defending the entirely sloppy and illogical rarity-based approach. A +2 sword isn't a Mona Lisa. It's a tool. It's price is chiefly derived from it's use to you as an adventurer. A painting OTOH has almost zero intrinsic value - it's all about collecting and showing off.

Adventurers don't show off. They're trying to survive.

Rarity's main function is to allow WotC to pretend they have fixed the problem without having to do any work.

That you have fallen for this ruse is disappointing to me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're ignoring the complaint. 5E suggests prices based on rarity. Rarity WotC themselves make up. In short, they're grabbing prices out of their ass.

Rarity has always existed. In every edition. Starting from 1e there have never been as many Rods of Lordly Might as there have been +1 swords in any game I've seen or heard of. The same goes for all of the really good items. And it's their game. Literally the entire thing is made up by them, so the whole game is "grabbed out of their ass." Why do you have trouble with this part of it and not hit points or armor class?

If the base market price was based on utility, that would mean we got help with the difficult part.

Then saying "this stuff is rare around here" and doubling that objective price is easy, something you or I can do on the fly.

There can't be a base price and have a system that works. 1e pricing only worked, because Gygax priced items individually.

Just stop defending the entirely sloppy and illogical rarity-based approach. A +2 sword isn't a Mona Lisa. It's a tool. It's price is chiefly derived from it's use to you as an adventurer. A painting OTOH has almost zero intrinsic value - it's all about collecting and showing off.

It's a rarer tool than +1 swords, and not as rare as +3 swords. The harder it is to make something, the fewer of them there will be. They didn't grab rarity "out of their ass." They grabbed it out of common sense.

Remove ads