D&D 5E Enhancing "Storm King's Thunder"

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
You might want to consider having her stay in Storm Giant form until she is almost down to zero hit points and THEN she changes back to Dragon form. That could be a real shocker. :erm:

That's a great idea for the final encounter, actually. She takes them on in the arena with her various pets until she's forced into her true form and then retreats below for a final confrontation.

I'm also thinking about having it that she's gained some Ostorian artefacts or maybe even dragon ones from the time of the giants versus dragon wars that led to the fall of Ostoria. That could certainly up her challenge.

Amusing thought, from this discussion: can a Dragon spellcaster Shapechange into a different dragon? I mean, can Iymrith, ancient blue dragon, shapechange into another ancient blue dragon, so that she effectively gains twice as many hit points?

It's not a very clever idea (easier to just bump her HP) but it does amuse me, for some reason.

Motorskills

Explorer
Amusing thought, from this discussion: can a Dragon spellcaster Shapechange into a different dragon? I mean, can Iymrith, ancient blue dragon, shapechange into another ancient blue dragon, so that she effectively gains twice as many hit points?

It's not a very clever idea (easier to just bump her HP) but it does amuse me, for some reason.

Well I would argue "no", since AFAIK we have no evidence that even ancient dragons can cast 9th level spells. But to be clear, that's not what KarinsDad is suggesting - in the case of Iymrith, we are discussing essentially amping up her innate shapechange ability that older dragons get (for....reasons), and working on the best way to replicate and enhance that.

Shapechange is (IIRC) a concentration spell, and I don't want Iymrith to "pop out" the first time one of my players Novas her. I love the idea of Iymrith only revealing her TRUE POWER FORM (TM!) when the players think they have nearly put her down... :D

But I will definitely read up on the Shapechange spell, if it replicates what we are heading towards, all well and good. Or maybe druidic Wild Shape would be a better analog, I'm not adequately familiar with that one either?

Edit: to be clear, I am not saying I would never use dragon to dragon shapechange, but I am selective when I throw out the core rules. For an epic adversary like Iymrith, I would always intend to use the Monster Manual as a start point only.

If I felt that a particular plot needed dragon-to-dragon to make it work, then sure. Otherwise I would steer clear.

Last edited:

Motorskills

Explorer
That's a great idea for the final encounter, actually. She takes them on in the arena with her various pets until she's forced into her true form and then retreats below for a final confrontation.

I'm also thinking about having it that she's gained some Ostorian artefacts or maybe even dragon ones from the time of the giants versus dragon wars that led to the fall of Ostoria. That could certainly up her challenge.

Nice. :)

Motorskills

Explorer
So, some more thoughts on this.

I can use the Storm Giant Omen-Reader template for Iymrith, it makes perfect sense to justify her place as a royal advisor.

She also gets an awesome spell list, and I am so very looking forward to telling my players that their character failed a save, since the Omen-Reader is basically a Portent wizard. :)

She can get a free teleport from the Meditation room in Maelstrom, that leaves her an 8th and 9th slot (she needs the 7th slot to get home).

An ancient Blue with the Foresight spell? That's what I call proper nasty. :D

I am considering amping up the water pressure, that damage per round, and non-interference will act as if under a Slow spell. :)

I will boost the numbers / stats of the residents, but the party will understand that they are there to convince the Princess S, not to get into a fight.

Question, what is the air pressure in Maelstrom, is it normal?

Edit 1: re Air Pressure - does anybody remember how it worked in the movie The Abyss?
They had a diving pool there, and were able to walk around the facility without difficulty, but IIRC they needed more than simple diving suits when they went outside. But maybe it wasn't as deep as Maelstrom?
What caused Michael Biehn's character to go nuts, was it the 'regular' air in the complex, or the oxygen mix in his aqua suit?

Edit 2: Thanks [MENTION=6801060]Demetrios1453[/MENTION], I get to use another of your awesome inventions, link added. :)
(By the way, there is an asterix in the wrong place for 2nd level slots).

Last edited:

So, some more thoughts on this.

I can use the Storm Giant Omen-Reader template for Iymrith, it makes perfect sense to justify her place as a royal advisor.

She also gets an awesome spell list, and I am so very looking forward to telling my players that their character failed a save, since the Omen-Reader is basically a Portent wizard. :)

She can get a free teleport from the Meditation room in Maelstrom, that leaves her an 8th and 9th slot (she needs the 7th slot to get home).

An ancient Blue with the Foresight spell? That's what I call proper nasty. :D

I am considering amping up the water pressure, that damage per round, and non-interference will act as if under a Slow spell. :)

I will boost the numbers / stats of the residents, but the party will understand that they are there to convince the Princess S, not to get into a fight.

Question, what is the air pressure in Maelstrom, is it normal?

Edit 1: re Air Pressure - does anybody remember how it worked in the movie The Abyss?
They had a diving pool there, and were able to walk around the facility without difficulty, but IIRC they needed more than simple diving suits when they went outside. But maybe it wasn't as deep as Maelstrom?
What caused Michael Biehn's character to go nuts, was it the 'regular' air in the complex, or the oxygen mix in his aqua suit?

Edit 2: Thanks [MENTION=6801060]Demetrios1453[/MENTION], I get to use another of your awesome inventions, link added. :)
(By the way, there is an asterix in the wrong place for 2nd level slots).

Heh, I never thought of Iymrith as an Omen-Reader, but you're right, that makes for one heck of a combination!

And thanks for pointing out the typo, it's been corrected now.

Once D&D Beyond is up and running, I'm looking to use the custom monster maker there (since it already will have the base giants I can use as templates) to upload the giant elites so they will have nicer formatting and can be shared with anyone else with the program. And whenever I get the time, I've got a few more I want to create...

Motorskills

Explorer
I'm also a little confused by the (apparent) calmness of the plughole room in Maeslstrom, i.e.. the lowest point of the whirlpool/

It looks like the debris is just littered there, and the room is not super-spinny at all. Am I reading that correctly?

Remove ads