D&D 5E WotC campaign maps are too small

Merudo

Explorer
I looked at a few official WotC 5e campaigns and my impression is that the dimensions of most maps (especially outdoor maps) are way too small to be properly usable.

Most maps are 150 feet or less on a side. The "big" maps are typically 350 feet on a side or less.

To give a comparison, a Longbow can be shot by a Sharpshooter at a range of 600 feet without disadvantage. And a Warlock with Eldritch Spear can use Eldritch Blast are a range of 250 feet.

The small maps mean PCs won't be able to properly spy on a location from far away, or to initiate combat at a large range (> 250 feet) even if they would find it tactically advantageous to do so.

No wonder people find Longstrider spell lackluster given the short maps don't give it a chance to shine.

Ideally, I'd like to extend the WotC maps to make them more usable. Is there a good method to do so?

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Simple method is to say 5ft squares are now 10ft squares. Now your map is quadruple the size. You may want to adjust thinks inside, like chairs, tables, beds and the like accordingly.

Or just use the trick for outdoor or giant sized locations.

aco175

Legend
I very rarely have encounters start at a range longer than 60ft. I thought there is some rules about Perception and penalties for every 10ft past X or such. I do not use that, but fins the table only holds so much map and this constricts me.

I could see instances where you get to shoot a couple times before the other side can shoot back. This works for both sides though. I may add more monsters if the PCs shoot several as they approach. It does not change the actual encounter much from how it was designed, but I do give more XP.

Wik

First Post
My rule of thumb is that the terrain sets the encounter distance. Most places like forests, swamps, and cities have an encounter distance of around 2d6x10 feet. Plains might set that distance to 2d3x100 feet, say - although most PCs won't shoot first at that distance unless it's an obvious threat.

As for wotc maps - the game is based around a 5 foot scale for combats. Maps that span a larger distance would not really be all that feasible, both for table play and for manufacturing purposes. If you have an issue, you can simply break out the battle map for when the combat gets close, and otherwise just run the ranged combat in theatre of the mind. Precise positioning doesn't really matter as much at that range anyways... especially in 5e, where fireball has had a significant drop in range.

Shiroiken

Legend
There is a section in the DMG that suggests encounter distances. Pre-made maps are often just at the edge of this distance, but only if both sides start at one end. The easiest way to setup an encounter at larger ranges is to have the PCs start off the map. Use dice to determine their distance from the edge, and unless on a flat plain or desert you can assume cover for both sides until they reach the edge of the map (3/4 cover in a forest, hills, or mountains, since there will likely be lots of objects/terrain to hide behind).

S'mon

Legend
I like maps that fit on the game table! In practice that's no more than about 200', 40" of table space. PCs can rarely see further than that unless they're elevated, flying etc. If they can then I run it TOTM.

ccs

41st lv DM
Heh, I think the actual maps in the books are also too small!

Definitely.
AND they're positioned in really inconvenient places. Sure, I get it. They're generally in the chapters that they apply to. But it'd be a lot more convenient to make them each full pages in the back of the module. And ideally as pull out sections.

Remove ads