Pathfinder 1E So what do you think is wrong with Pathfinder? Post your problems and we will fix it.

Wicht

Hero
Decently. Although it wasn't as powerful as a standard cleric.

Heh.

Proving that you can never please everyone, we had a complaint from at least one individual that the Divine Channeler was broken because it was too powerful compared to the cleric. I couldn't see it myself. Its focus on doing a few things very well means that it is, in its own sphere more powerful, but the cleric is generally more flexible and thus more powerful overall.

pemerton

Legend
I take it you also think that the reason characters die of starvation is that they enjoy eating so much that when they can't eat they lose their morale and waste away in a sea of sadness?

I mean, I know the rules don't require you get Vitamin C in your diet or suffer scurvy penalties, but I take it as given that D&D characters are eating food, breathing air, and using the latter to burn the former for energy. Also, your character takes falling damage because of gravity.
I don't take it for granted that universal gravitation is true, no. There is nothing in the experience of falling in D&D that excludes the truth of Democritus's "atoms and the void" (with unidirectional motion), nor that earth-y things are attracted to the abundance of elemental earth in the Earth.

As for food, I take it for granted that people eat, but don't need to worry about how metabolisation works (eg clearly for Xorns it is nothing like for actual animals in the real world).

On your account, dragon flight must be magical (given it is inconsistent with actual physical laws), which raises the question why it can still happen in an anti-magic field.

This is a form of play which is anathema to many players - who view it as cheating. It requires an experienced DM (I've been DMing for 30 years) and a lot of trust within the group. I'd also like to think it requires a good DM, but then I would think that!
Interesting post. The techniques you describe make sense as a way of making a game work, though personally I think I'm closer to your anathema category.

I would repeat @Crothian 's question: what exactly did you like that Trailblazer did?
To try to bring this post on topic, what does Trailblazer fix that Pathfinder does not?

Honestly, I never even read Trailblazer, I just wanted to say something pity. However, Trailblazer was willing to go deeper into the engine to fix it while Pathfinder was more of a nice paint job. Remember, easy compatibility with 3.5 was a major goal of Pathfinder.

Hopefully someone who actually uses Trailblazer can chime in...

Crothian

First Post
Honestly, I never even read Trailblazer, I just wanted to say something pity. However, Trailblazer was willing to go deeper into the engine to fix it while Pathfinder was more of a nice paint job. Remember, easy compatibility with 3.5 was a major goal of Pathfinder.

If you haven't read then how do you know it goes deeper? I read it when it came out and I'm pretty sure I don't have a copy anymore. But It struck me as just different changes from Pathfinder but nothing set it or Pathfinder apart as better.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Trailblazer is somewhat of a greater departure from 3e. Examples are: changed iterative attacks, a new system for combat reactions that combine AoOs with blocking and dodging, saving throws no longer associated with class, a more standardized magic system, spells and abilities limited by a 10 minute rest rather than overnight, and an action point system I don't really understand.

It has some good ideas that I use, and its intent is certainly to address the system more deeply than PF does, but I wound't go so far as to call it a "fixed 3e".

Remove ads