D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons and the RPG Stigma

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder if there's an age factor? Certainly, at the age of 40 now, behaviour like that would not be acceptable from anybody.

I meant your age. He's younger than me; I assume you're younger than him? Or are you older?

Mid 20s for me. He's gotten engaged with me on other topics like the new Avengers movie and video games. Really it's only been D&D which is why I was curious if anyone else has had such adverse reactions.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
It's been a long time since I encountered any negative reactions (other than edition warring). Years ago, it wasn't that D&D was for nerds, but rather "Isn't that the game that makes people commit suicide?" or else "But that's devil worshipping."

aramis erak

Legend
Mid 20s for me. He's gotten engaged with me on other topics like the new Avengers movie and video games. Really it's only been D&D which is why I was curious if anyone else has had such adverse reactions.

Yes. Usually dealing with fundamentalist christians (almost always Baptists, for that matter, tho' a few Catholics).

I had one supervisor get all nutjob about it.
I have had coworkers refuse to work with me. (One of them got fired over it. The other saw the writing on the wall.)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Your "freindliness" with the dr may explain why he thought he could act like that.

But yes, there is still a stigma around the game. A lot people still don't understand or like it.

It's been a long time since I encountered any negative reactions (other than edition warring). Years ago, it wasn't that D&D was for nerds, but rather "Isn't that the game that makes people commit suicide?" or else "But that's devil worshipping."

Which made it cool. Until the nerd thing ruined it.

S

Sunseeker

Half my coworkers are wargamers who shop at the same game store i play/buy at. But I don't think I'd bring it up with either of my bosses.

I've run into a few video gamers who made their disdain for tabletop gaming (of any sort) obvious. It was anti-intellectualism, 21st century style; computer and video games were fast-paced, interesting and exciting, while tabletop games (in their view) were dull and boring due to the fact that there were no visuals, no sound effects, and they required hours of reading, writing, filling out character sheets, and sitting around a table, which only a complete nerd could possibly enjoy.

I refer to these types as "vidiots."

None of them were MD's, though. That's new.

Zak S

A curious thing happened to me today that I'm guessing has happened around a dozen times ove the last year. I work at a hospital essentially as a unit clerk, and as such I have quite a bit of time on my hands. Recently, I've taken to bringing my 5E books to prepare for material for upcoming sessions, and generally work on my campaign setting. I've recieved a few comments on it, generally curiosity, with very little of it being negative (in fact, a coworker recently has wanted to start playing, which I found extremely pleasing.). But today, a doctor approached who I hold in high regard, someone whom I hope will write a recommendation for me for medical school. The second he saw the book, he seemed incredulous that I would play it. Contempt was dripping from his voice, and he warned me to not bring up this hobby to the admissions boards under any circumstances. Not only that, but he went on, speaking in a stereotypical nasally nerd drawl, to the laughter of many of the nurses around.

This isn't something entirely new to me. I've had to deal with prejudice against nerds all my life. But in all those cases, it was children or teenagers doing the teasing, not adults, and it floored me how derisive he ws towards a simple hobby. With a resurgence of nerd culture into the mainstream, comic books and sci if action films being the highest grossing films, Skyrim and World of Warcraft being incredibly popular, I had thought maybe some of the stigma attached to D&D might have disappeared. It made my blood boil, and I truly had to take a moment to collect myself before I said something unprofessional.

has anyone else had similar issues recently? Any stories of good? I'm sincerely hoping that this is an isolated incident, but it doesnt make me hopeful for the brand or for RPGs In general.

Part of me think this has to do with the dynamic surrounding the doctor.

Medical school and medical training require a great deal of reading and books and study and things that are considered nerdy -- at the same time, a lot of doctors are on a power/ego trip where they're trying to impress the staff around them by showing how they're also tough guys. And….a lot of them are trying to sleep with their colleagues.

Sounds like he's overcompensating by making you the butt of his joke.

Remove ads