D&D 5E So 5 Intelligence Huh

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And yet it says nothing about how you must roleplay when you have an Intelligence score of 5, nor does it say that anyone who doesn't do it the way you envision (which is based on some other game, it seems) is roleplaying wrong.

You're totally off-base here.

It says very clearly that int = the ability to reason. Therefore, high int = a high ability to reason and low int = a low ability to reason. You can go against that if you like, but you're going against the rules if you play a low int as a high ability to reason with a penalty.

MechaPilot

Explorer
It says very clearly that int = the ability to reason. Therefore, high int = a high ability to reason and low int = a low ability to reason. You can go against that if you like, but you're going against the rules if you play a low int as a high ability to reason with a penalty.

And you're going to point out where they quantify how much lower lower is right? Because otherwise you're just injecting your personal preference.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

Afraid not. I'd be going against the rules if I applied some other modifier than -3 to ability checks related to my Intelligence 5, but that's it. Sorry, pal.

And if you ever find yourself in a thread where [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] and I are basically in agreement again, you should probably just bow out.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Afraid not. I'd be going against the rules if I applied some other modifier than -3 to ability checks related to my Intelligence 5, but that's it. Sorry, pal.

And if you ever find yourself in a thread where [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] and I are basically in agreement again, you should probably just bow out.
The rules say that int = ability to reason. The only rational way to read that is low int = low ability to reason, and high int = high ability to reason. Anything else is just an excuse to cheese the system and not have to engage in the consequences of your choice of a low int.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The rules say that int = ability to reason. The only rational way to read that is low int = low ability to reason, and high int = high ability to reason. Anything else is just an excuse to cheese the system and not have to engage in the consequences of your choice of a low int.

And you're going to point out the page number where they say how much lower "lower" is right?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And you're going to point out the page number where they say how much lower "lower" is right?

I don't have to. Low int = low ability to reason. It's clearly lower than average, so a player running around with a low int PC reasoning everything out and solving all the riddles is roleplaying badly. If you're going to play low int PC as highly intelligent with a penalty, you are clearly doing it wrong. I don't need an exact number to be able to say that confidently and correctly.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

The system doesn't require players to roleplay in any particular way, despite your attempts to justify your viewpoint with rules. Feel free to continue thinking that it's cheesy to roleplay a character with an Intelligence 5 as anything other than the specific thing you personally think it should be, but don't try and say not doing so is somehow against the rules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The system doesn't require players to roleplay in any particular way, despite your attempts to justify your viewpoint with rules.

The rules are clear on what a low int means, and it does in fact mean a low ability to reason. It doesn't "require" you to play that way because you should already know how and not try to run it as the opposite of what it is.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The rules are clear on what a low int means, and it does in fact mean a low ability to reason. It doesn't "require" you to play that way because you should already know how and not try to run it as the opposite of what it is.

And yet I remember you implying if not outright saying that if you don't roleplay a certain way you're doing it wrong because the rules say you should roleplay that certain way. And they don't.

So what is your position now? Because if it's just your opinion that Intelligence should be played a certain way, we've got nothing more to talk about. You're welcome to your opinion no matter how silly I think it is. But if you're going to assert that people who don't roleplay an Intelligence 5 character as if it had an IQ of 50 are doing it wrong, I got all night, pal.

Remove ads