N.E.W. shopping questions

dekrass

Explorer
The party was shopping for gear after their first outing in my N.E.W. game and a few things came up.

First, we noticed that it was cheaper to buy a new medical pouch toolkit than it was to restock spray dressings. The toolkit costs 75 credits and includes 50 sprays, among other things. The spray dressings on their own are 50 Cr for 20 sprays. I'm guessing either the 50 or the 20 is a mistake.

Another thing that came up was armor for an Android that has built in armor. I didn't find anything in the books about what happens if you have SOAK and then put on armor. So, would the android just use the higher SOAK value?
Here's a similar issue. The tough as nails trait says it doesn't stack with armor, but does natural SOAK from other sources, like career exploits, stack with armor SOAK?

And finally, I didn't find advancement levels listed for drugs. Did I just overlook something, or are those left intentionally undefined?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The toolkit should have 5 sprays, not 50.

Drugs are available in pretty much any future setting.

You use the highest SOAK of a specific type available unless you have something which says it stacks, and SOAKs of different *types* do stack. Generally if something gives a SOAK bonus, such as +2 natural SOAK, it adds to that type of SOAK. The types are basically natural or armor, plus there's magical in fantasy settings. The android's is armor SOAK, so it wouldn't stack with armor. Tough as nails is a natural SOAK bonus; I guess it's slightly awkwardly phrased, looking at it - the bonus applies to natural SOAK but only when not wearing armor.

Sorry, posting from my phone, so I hope that made sense! Your total SOAK is your natural + armor SOAK, and each of those types uses the highest value available unless it's phrased as a bonus.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, we have experimented with a more gritty campaign, and not allowing the two different types of SOAK to stack. It's worth considering as a house rule in gritty campaigns like Aliens or something; it doesn't actually make much difference often, but when it does it makes for slightly more vulnerable characters.

dekrass

Explorer
Thanks. That makes sense.
Is the rule about different types of SOAK in the books somewhere? I don't recall seeing it.

As a follow up question, is the SOAK from the biofeedback psionic exploit natural SOAK? It seems like it would be.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Off the top of my head, I think it's psionic SOAK! (Future equivalent of natural). But I'd have to double check that when I get home.

dekrass

Explorer
Off the top of my head, I think it's psionic SOAK! (Future equivalent of natural). But I'd have to double check that when I get home.

I think you mean psionic is the equivalent of magical. N.E.W. already has natural SOAK. Biofeedback doesn't specify a type in the Careers book.
If psionic SOAK is equivalent to magical does that mean they don't stack? I expect a crossover game of O.LD. and N.E.W. eventually.

Another equipment question was brought up by a player. Should the laser rifle and assault laser have the beam trait? Beam specifically mentions phasers and lasers and all the other lasers have the trait, but not those two.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think you mean psionic is the equivalent of magical. N.E.W. already has natural SOAK. Biofeedback doesn't specify a type in the Careers book.
If psionic SOAK is equivalent to magical does that mean they don't stack? I expect a crossover game of O.LD. and N.E.W. eventually.

Yeah, I meant psionic not natural.

Another equipment question was brought up by a player. Should the laser rifle and assault laser have the beam trait? Beam specifically mentions phasers and lasers and all the other lasers have the trait, but not those two.

No, those two particular weapons fire laser bolts not beams.

Remove ads