D&D 5E Narrative combat - can anyone share practical experience?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Can you give me a good example of a situation that the combat rules don't support?

Two examples were given in my first post? One was based on the cover image on the PHB, the question being when are PCs going to experience that kind of encounter? The other from the Powerscore blog where he ran the final encounter in a much more dynamic manner than would have been possible if he had run through usual encounters.

But if you've never done or sttempted this kind of thing then I'm not sure why you're trying to help?

S'mon

Legend
My online 5e game combat is very 'narrativistic' just as a result of not having a battlemat I think. But we still roll init & roll dice. I do a lot of improv "ok that's a DC 18 Athletics check" type stuff andI describe the combat fluidly so everyone is acting & reacting all the time.

Can you give me a good example of a situation that the combat rules don't support?
You've just activated the MacGuffin, and become a towering 80 foot version of yourself. Every swing of your sword parts the sea, and your bellow shatters mountains, but the Black Tezcatlipoca is about to knock the sun out of the sky and end the 5th World as you know it. He has no physical form. He is the omnipresence of night.

the Jester

Legend
Two examples were given in my first post? One was based on the cover image on the PHB, the question being when are PCs going to experience that kind of encounter? The other from the Powerscore blog where he ran the final encounter in a much more dynamic manner than would have been possible if he had run through usual encounters.

Huh. Neither of those are examples of a place where the regular combat rules don't work just fine, in my opinion (and experience). I mean, fighting giants has been a thing since before 1e, and the combat rules have always handled it just fine.

I guess my issue here is that all the protests about "but you can only hit it in the leg" assume that nobody does fancy moves during normal combat run by the rules. The "riding a larger creature" rules in the DMG are explicitly for handling the exact case in the "PH Cover" example.

But if you've never done or sttempted this kind of thing then I'm not sure why you're trying to help?

That's kind of like saying, "If you've never gone to a concert, I'm not sure why you're giving me a ride and dropping me off for one." Because I find the topic interesting and, if possible, I'd like to help with it. But that starts with getting a better handle on what you're talking about, which- like I said- I've not really been clear on.

That said, [MENTION=6812658]Seramus[/MENTION]' example above is one that makes a lot of sense to me- that's something where the normal rules of combat just don't apply.

Satyrn

First Post
Like I said, I'm not sure how else to interpret this, but I'd love to get a clearer picture. I'm not trying to be insulting to anyone, just trying to get a better idea of what we're actually discussing.

EDIT: Again, I'd love some actual concrete examples.

I considered providing more examples than the couple I've alluded to, but I rather think I'd just be opening myself up to more accusations of laziness or slavishness.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
That's kind of like saying, "If you've never gone to a concert, I'm not sure why you're giving me a ride and dropping me off for one." Because I find the topic interesting and, if possible, I'd like to help with it. But that starts with getting a better handle on what you're talking about, which- like I said- I've not really been clear on.

Given cyclic initiative the chance for a TPK in situations described earlier is quite certain. So yes the combat rules so that the party is killed as expected. However in heroic fiction there are times when the heroes succeed despite impossible odds. The combat rules work well when the opposing parties are similarly matched within reasonable ranges. Heck that's why we have the encounter building guidelines! And the combat rules help us resolve the uncertainty in a "fair" fight. I'm talking about unfair fights or "fights on the run" where there's a new enemy on every round as the party cuts their way through to their objective.

And really you have an odd way of helping if you immediately dismiss and belittle the discussion! :)

the Jester

Legend
I considered providing more examples than the couple I've alluded to, but I rather think I'd just be opening myself up to more accusations of laziness or slavishness.

My apologies if that came across as a dig at you; it was me being baffled by the examples I had seen, which all seemed to fit nicely within the regular combat system. The one Seramus posted seems much more like something that justifies leaving the normal rules behind, at least to me.

Satyrn

First Post
Given cyclic initiative the chance for a TPK in situations described earlier is quite certain. So yes the combat rules so that the party is killed as expected. However in heroic fiction there are times when the heroes succeed despite impossible odds. The combat rules work well when the opposing parties are similarly matched within reasonable ranges. Heck that's why we have the encounter building guidelines! And the combat rules help us resolve the uncertainty in a "fair" fight. I'm talking about unfair fights or "fights on the run" where there's a new enemy on every round as the party cuts their way through to their objective.

And really you have an odd way of helping if you immediately dismiss and belittle the discussion! :)

So yeah. Your post sparks another thought.

Look to movies for inspiration. The first encounter between Bilbo and the dwarves versus Smaug can provide a model for how to handle the BBEG's actions. Although, in that scene it's actually more like the PCs sneaking around, keeping out of sight of the rampaging foe, you should still be able to apply what you see towards a more direct confrontation.

But it all depends on how the players act. If they're gonna just sit right in front of the BBEG and pelt it with arrows, kill them (just go to the combat rules and let the dice rule).

I think maybe what I'm saying is: as long as the players are working on executing some sort of plan beyond "kill it with weapons" there's no need to use the initiative based combat stuff, and you'll get the narrative combat you're looking for.

Satyrn

First Post
Thank you for the apology.

Your comments felt dismissive, and I can't help but think they're directed to me because I think I'm the only one in the thread who has said he runs narrative combat.

the Jester

Legend
Given cyclic initiative the chance for a TPK in situations described earlier is quite certain.

This almost sounds like you're suggesting that pcs can't beat a giant (as in the example from the cover of the PH) with the normal combat system. I guess if the discrepency between the giant's CR and the party's level is sufficient, it's highly likely, but even then, it's not certain, in my experience. I wonder if you're undervaluing bounded accuracy's effect on combat? Low level pcs can indeed fight quite high CR monsters and win, under the normal combat rules, with an unforgiving, no-fudging DM like me. I've run games where what are on paper 'impossible' fights were total victories for the pcs. I guess maybe I just have a lot of faith in the standard rules to handle most any standard combat situation.

However in heroic fiction there are times when the heroes succeed despite impossible odds.

Okay, and this is where I got the idea that you're talking about predetermining the outcome and making sure it comes out how you want. This is where my "slavish devotion to the desired outcome" comment came from (and again, I apologize that it came across as disparaging). If you've decided the pcs are going to win, why have a combat at all? ... which, I guess, is kind of the point you're making? (Or is it?)

The combat rules work well when the opposing parties are similarly matched within reasonable ranges. Heck that's why we have the encounter building guidelines! And the combat rules help us resolve the uncertainty in a "fair" fight.

I seriously suggest you get a group of tactically-savvy pcs who have characters that have worked together for a while that are good at teamwork and try throwing them at an encounter that seriously overmatches them. See how it goes. Do it outside of game continuity, just as an experiment. You might be surprised by the results. It's like the dragon in LMoP- on paper, it looks like an automatic TPK, but in play, many groups manage to win through.

I'm talking about unfair fights or "fights on the run" where there's a new enemy on every round as the party cuts their way through to their objective.

I guess the unfair fight thing is just something where I feel regular combat rules work fine. I've seen a death knight die to a party that was mostly about 6th level. I've seen a lich go down to a party that was mostly about 7th (granted, it was a large group).

Now, the fight on the run thing kind of makes sense to me, in that the normal combat rules aren't great for that kind of situation, but I still think they flex well enough to use. I don't know, I just favor sticking to the rules where possible, but I run a pretty hardcore sandbox style of game, with no adjustments made for pc levels or the like. In a story based game, I think the narrative combat stuff you're talking about makes more sense.

So let me rephrase it a bit and see if I have a little better idea now of what you are talking about. Here is basically what I'm getting - and please correct me if I have it wrong, because this is a fascinating and kind of baffling topic for me!

Instead of running a combat per se, you are talking about running a scene with combat in it.

To elaborate on the difference I'm seeing, if you run a combat, the point is to see how the combat turns out. If you run a scene with combat in it, the point is to get to the next scene, and the combat is just a trapping on the way to it, much like the description of the room might be when you're running the combat. And when I call it a 'trapping', I don't mean to belittle it; in a combat, often, the environment is as big of a player as the monsters and pcs. I'm just saying that the emphasis is on the desired scene rather than on the combat itself.

So in a narrative combat scene, the combat is secondary to the real objective- cut your way to the center of the enemy army, whatever it might be- which leads to the next scene- the actual combat against the enemy general or whatnot.

Does that sound about right?

I'm kind of basing this, again, on the example that Seramus posted; that's a great example of a scene where the combat is secondary to the real goal (stop the essence of night, which you simply can't do with combat).

Again, I apologize; that really wasn't my intent.

Remove ads