What "backdoors" did wizards built into the spells named after them?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
[MENTION=31304]TarionzCousin[/MENTION] made a joke in the thread on Leomunds Tiny Hut in response to the question of whether someone could scry through the hut:

Quote Originally Posted by @Stalker0
Does Leomund's Tiny Hut block Scrying?
I would say it blocks magical scrying for everyone except Leomund; he built in a secret back door that only he knows how to use.

I thought that concept could provide some humorous or even terrifying encounters. What other back-doors and safeguards might wizards place into their spells, to prevent those spells from being used against them?

Abi-Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting

While I could find nothing that states this famed Greyhawk necromancer and elementalist ever became a lich. I would make sense. As a lich, he would be immune from the effects of this spell.

Aganazzar’s Scorcher
The renowned Forgotten Realms wizard of The Covenant and founder of Neverwinter's School of Wizardry, was killed by the Red Wizards of Thay. But in your campaign, that needn't be the case. Perhaps the line of fire cast by this spell will always avert its path from its creator.

Arms of Hadar
First a warlock would not be able to use his patrons magic against him. But certainly, a spell named after a star-like elder evil from the star realm is not going to be able to harm that being. Any attempt to use this spell in a way that counters Hadar's designs will lead to the tendrils of dark energy battering the caster.

Bigby's Hand
Any attempt to use Bigby's Hand in a manner harmful to Bigby will result in the hand giving the caster the middle finger (or similar campaign-appropriate obscene hand gesture) and then it would make a clenched fist and strike the caster.

MNblockhead

Drawmij's Instant Summons

Drawmij, arch-mage and one of the founders of the Circle of Eight on Greyhawk, created this spell for information gathering. Whenever this spell is cast, there is a chance the Drawmij will learn what the object is, its current location, who possesses it, and who cast the mark on the object.

MNblockhead

Evard’s Black Tentacles

If an attempt is made to cast this spell against its powerful and evil arch-mage creator, the tentacles instead restrain and bludgeon the caster.

MNblockhead

Leomund's Secret Chest

If Leomund is holding any replica chest used by any wizard to cast this spell, he can retrieve the actual chest from the ethereal plane.

Leomund's Tiny Hut

Leomund, or a one creature he can see and target, can freely move through any dome of force created by this spell cast by any spell caster.

MNblockhead

Maximilian's Earthen Grasp

If a spell caster attempts to cast it against Maximilian (whoever that is), the hand instead points to the caster, even if the caster is hidden and/or invisible.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mordenkainen’s Sword - when cast by anyone but Mordenkainen, it performs as the spell. If cast by Mordenkainen, it does double the damage listed and doesn’t suck. ;)

MNblockhead

Melf's Acid Arrows

If a caster attempts to target Melf with this spell, the arror misfires bursting into acid in the caster's face.

Melf's Minute Meteors

If this spell harms Melf anyone with him who is a friend or companion or Melf, the caster is cursed to rise before dawn each morning for a year, [and] frolic merrily at dawn singing:

When the sun in the morning peeps over the hill
and caresses the rosebuds on my windowsill,
my heart fills with gladness when I hear the trill
of the birds in the treetops around any old hill.
Tra-la-la, fiddle-dee-dee-dee,
it gives me a pain to dance and sing this, must I do it again?
Tra-la-la, fiddle-dee-dee-dee, there’s penance to do,
how happy I'll be when it’s finally through!"
[1]

MNblockhead

Mordenkainen’s Faithful Hound

Anyone working against Mordenkainen will find when casting this spell that the hound is not faithful. It will always be underfoot requiring frequent dex 15 saves to avoid falling prone. While on guard duty at night, it will silently poop invisible dog turds in the caster's and his companion's boots. It will ignore any invisible creatures but will bark loudly at small creatures like mice, insects, and wizard familiars. If the party has other dogs, whether gnome mounts, wizard familiars, and ranger companion animals, they will go into heat and the invisible hound will impregnate them causing them each to give birth to 1d6 unfaithful-hound pups.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Tasha's Hideous Laughter

Anyone attempting this spell on Tasha will surely regret it. First their bottom lip will start to tremble, their eyes will start to fill up and they will sweat profusely. They will then, to all intents and purposes, go into a Rage (with none of the benefits). Next their knees will give way and they will drop to the floor (no save). They will start to beat the floor with their fists.

They of course have been cursed with:

Tasha's Tiny Tantrum

MarkB

Legend
I love the idea of Mordenkainen building in a literal secret backdoor to his Mansion which only he can access, leading to the Astral Plane. Originally an escape route from his own mansion, it also serves as a way for him to sneak inside anyone else's.

Remove ads