D&D 5E Iron and Adamantine Dragonborn?

Lanliss

Explorer
I don't like the whole Bronze/Brass/Copper relationship. I have seen some talk of Iron and Adamantine dragons, so I want to use them instead. Since I am currently working on my world's Dragonborn, I actually need to know what breath weapon and resistance they would gain. Anyone able to help with this?

Lanliss

Explorer
Per 4E, adamantines are thunder-based, and irons are lightning-based. But, y'know, it's your world.

Sounds good. Thunder based, maybe I should give them a burst breath weapon, more like a Shout. Sounds like an awesome bit of flavor. Lightning is easy enough, as per the Blue. Thanks.

finalduck

First Post
Seeing as bronze already has lightning covered, I'd have Iron Dragonborn spew metal swarf at their enemies, dealing a 15ft cone of Slashing damage. It makes sense for an earthy, more common, more "working class" (if that makes sense) metal to have a more down to earth ability. Slashing damage might not be as useful as other Dragonborn breath weapons, but it's balanced by having a more useful resistance.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I would give iron dragons a poison gas breath, for the same reason that iron golems have poison gas breath. (I have no clue what that reason is; but it must exist, right?) Plus, it's the only chromatic breath weapon that isn't already possessed by a metallic dragon.

If you do go with lightning, I'd consider making it a cone of sparks, so that it's not identical to the blue (similar to the way that brass dragons breathe a line of fire, contrasting them against the more common cone of fire breathed by reds and golds).

Can we get lead, tin, and mercury dragons? These metals were known in antiquity.

I

Immortal Sun

I don't like the whole Bronze/Brass/Copper relationship. I have seen some talk of Iron and Adamantine dragons, so I want to use them instead. Since I am currently working on my world's Dragonborn, I actually need to know what breath weapon and resistance they would gain. Anyone able to help with this?

In 3.5, the Iron Dragon had a cone of "superheated sparks" dealing 1/2 fire and 1/2 electricity as well as a cone of sleep gas (I have no idea why).
For reference, there was a whole branch of "Ferrous" evil metallic dragons
Iron
Chromium (line of solid ice, not quite sure how the physics of that works)
Cobalt (line of "pulsating magnetic energy" aka: force)
Nickel (cone of corossive gas)
Tungsten (cone of blasting sand aka: fire damage)

finalduck

First Post
I would give iron dragons a poison gas breath, for the same reason that iron golems have poison gas breath. (I have no clue what that reason is; but it must exist, right?) Plus, it's the only chromatic breath weapon that isn't already possessed by a metallic dragon.

If you do go with lightning, I'd consider making it a cone of sparks, so that it's not identical to the blue (similar to the way that brass dragons breathe a line of fire, contrasting them against the more common cone of fire breathed by reds and golds).

Can we get lead, tin, and mercury dragons? These metals were known in antiquity.

I think Lead or Mercury would make the most sense as the Metallic Dragons who breathe poison. Tin makes sense to be immune to acid, but Copper has Acid breath covered, so Tin Dragonborn could either be the first Dragonborn whose resistance doesn't match the breath weapon (I think Lightning damage would be a good choice) or, seeing as tin is such a cheap metal, Tin could be an abnormal Dragonborn, perceived as inferior, that has more than one resistance but no breath weapon.

Remove ads