Player vs Player PC death

pdzoch

Explorer
Ah, so now the cleric is suspicious.

Sent via magic sending while journeying on a quest.

Yes, his suspicion is what I'm using for the preparation of spells that he doesn't normally prepare, but I don't know what you mean by this.

Ah, that is the replacement text for when I send using a cellphone. Normally it says something like "Sent via EN World App using Samsung blah blah blah." I probably should adjust that.

S

Sunseeker

You're squishy. So, probably nothing. There are some good spells to help you out, but if he's a well-built death knight you're going to have trouble with that no matter what. There's other party members right? What are they doing about this? See if any of them will help you.

Dandu

First Post
Hm. Shatter once to break his weapon, once again to remove all non magical clothing he's wearing.

Thanks for your help, Dandu.

But, on the chance that my cleric doesn't survive the encounter, how would you counter a trip spec death knight?

I would suggest remanng out of his reach. This is easer if he is wearing heavy, movement restricting armor.

You shoud convince him to wear heavy armor.

Cast Snowshoes on yourself: it's Endure Elements plus a movement speed bonus.

This should, at least, give you a speed advantage. Now just find an in character reason to stay with your allies and 20 feet away from him.

Last edited:

Where are you currently? if you're in a town/city, then use this to your advantage. You're a cleric. Go to your temple and inform your superiors. Go to any friendly temples and tell them what you know and suspect. If there aren't any temples openly friendly to your religion then visit at the least the lawful and/or anti-undead temples, and tell anyone there that will listen the same tale. Tell the city guard. Leave a sealed letter with your temple's high priest with instructions that it should be opened upon your death or disappearance. If there's some sort of adventurer's guild, mercenary union, or messenger service leave them sealed envelopes along with payment with instructions that they should be delivered to various individuals upon your death or disappearance. These letters will, of course, tell your friends, family and other temples of your deity what happened. If you have time and the wealth, call upon some planar allies.

The Fighter/Soon to be death knight is now a pariah. No temple is willing to offer him assistance. The town's gates are closed to him. He no longer has access to magic items or spellcasting services. After the third set of bounty hunters show up trying to collect on the death knight, any party members that remained with him will be questioning their decision. They may even try to collect the bounty themselves!

Yes, your cleric may lose the battle but (s)he will have won the war. And at 8th level, I assume your priest is notable in the church's hierarchy. Death may just be a short side trek for you until a Raise Dead is cast. At the very least, the look on the fighter's player's face will be priceless when the High Holy Confessor of the Order of Light shows up to smite his face with a big hammer. ;)

[MENTION=6682960]Grogg of the North[/MENTION], [MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION], [MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION]

All excellent suggestions, and I will definitely be following many of them.

However, this has been a fairly low-magic campaign (not out of design, just happenstance) and as much as I'd like to think the rest of the party would support the cleric should the fighter initiate conflict, I don't see them pitching in to pay the cost to revive a fallen character. (Hasn't been done yet, and we've lost a party member before.)

The most likely outcome, should the cleric die, is I'd roll up a new character, which is why I'm fishing for suggestions now.

Vymair

First Post
So if the fighter kills the cleric, what is the rest of the party going to do? Why would they continue to associate with a character who killed their cleric. Even if he does it away from the rest of the party, I would think the rest of the party would investigate how the cleric died and D&D gives plenty of tools to figure out what happened.

Koloth

First Post
Step 1 - Get VERY clear in your head what is Player knowledge and what is Character knowledge.

If this group has been together since 1st level, they should be fairy close knit with each other. Gossip is frequent and inquisitive. Like, "The fighter didn't bang the barmaid last knight. First time he's passed on one in a year, something wrong with him?"

You are a cleric, presumably with lots of divination type spells. Use them. If the cleric Character has just reason to be suspicious of a party member, nothing wrong with casting a few detects or fortune telling type spells. If the fighter has changed behaviors, (see gossip above), cleric might suspect some type of possession or illness or long lasting charm type spell. Seems well within a good alignment to investigate a possible problem with a party member that may present a threat to the well being of the party.

Depending on what the Character learns, may be a lot of interesting role playing in the Player's future.

[MENTION=6706231]Koloth[/MENTION]

The party hasn't been together since level one, and the cleric is the only expressly good aligned character in the party (the rest are varying degrees of neutral.) We're a group of active duty military players, and our schedules make it so that we can't always game together.

The fighter (and the ranger) joined the party while I (the cleric) was away from the party due to work. They had about 2-3 months of sporadic gaming without the cleric, (about 2 weeks in game time.)

Of the 3 original players, there's just the CN bandit and the cleric left, which is why I'd like to think most of the party would back me, but there's no guarantee.

And as I stated earlier, the character is only suspicious because of the lie and the proximity of the corrupting artifact. His CG nature is heavily based on freedom of choice, and so he doesn't use divination spells to pry secrets. He definitely can and will send messages to his church about the events and try to talk to the rest of the party about the situation, but for the most part, the fighter has been acting in accordance with his CN self- as far as the cleric can tell. (And, if the fighter is choosing the actions willingly, it wouldn't be a possession or charm/compulsion effect to divine.)

So if the fighter kills the cleric, what is the rest of the party going to do? Why would they continue to associate with a character who killed their cleric. Even if he does it away from the rest of the party, I would think the rest of the party would investigate how the cleric died and D&D gives plenty of tools to figure out what happened.

With this group, the fighter would probably have to kill the rogue after the fact, and if he could talk enough game, the bandit would wait the fight out, and the ranger would be upset and leave the party. (Rogue has strong ties to the cleric, the bandit is what I like to call Selfish Neutral, and the ranger only recently met the cleric, but is starting to trust him)

Remove ads