The Power of "NO". Banned Races and Classes?

The Human Target

Adventurer
Hyperbolic. I have banned things for some games. It isn't out of "hate" - "hate" is reserved for things that cause real-world harm to real-world people.

When I've done it, it is because the thing in question simply didn't fit with the other thematic elements, social structures, and such.

The OP says he bans monks in part because he hates them.

No hyperbole.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
For my next campaign (set in Onnwal, Greyhawk) I'll be slightly restricting races and classes available. The one big one is banning monks. The fun thing about that is that monks certainly exist... it's just that they all belong to the Scarlet Brotherhood, the chief bad guys of the campaign!

As the campaign is set in an area where humans and dwarves make up the bulk of the inhabitants, I'm giving serious thought to banning elves, but I'll probably just see how many players want to play one.

Cheers!

The Human Target

Adventurer
I don't look at as hating something. Though some might ban things because they hate.

I look at it as creating a living, breathing campaign world. If you're building a post-apoc campaign setting, some races and classes may not make sense. Maybe a particular race was wiped out by the cataclysm. Maybe the tools required for a certain class archetype no longer work. Maybe physics works differently.

If you're trying to model a campaign around a great novel you read. And let's say that novel doesn't mention certain races, you might ban them because they don't fit the setting. Alternatively, you might modify existing races to make the new campaign setting work.

If a player later comes along and wants to play something that doesn't fit in the world... you're always welcome to allow it, but that player should be ready to play the very first of the species in the campaign world. People will react to such a creature in interesting and maybe dangerous ways.

Anyway... it's not about hate, at least not for me. It's about telling the story of your campaign.

Yeah, temporarily restricting options for a specific game the group agrees to in advance ( like say do divine characters in Dark Sun) is one thing.

Though I will say on a personal preference note, I play D&D to play D&D.

I don't really go in for using the D&D rules to run a Napoleonic Wars campaign or Conan the Barbarian game.

Which is probably why I like inclusivity.

The Human Target

Adventurer
For my next campaign (set in Onnwal, Greyhawk) I'll be slightly restricting races and classes available. The one big one is banning monks. The fun thing about that is that monks certainly exist... it's just that they all belong to the Scarlet Brotherhood, the chief bad guys of the campaign!

As the campaign is set in an area where humans and dwarves make up the bulk of the inhabitants, I'm giving serious thought to banning elves, but I'll probably just see how many players want to play one.

Cheers!

Curse the Scarlet Brotherhood!

See in that game I'd probably lobby to be an elf, because being the only one around would open up a lot of fun circumstances.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I don't historically have any standing bans, but I sometimes institute them on a campaign by campaign basis when I DM. Frex in one campaign I wanted them all to be royals, so they all had to be human.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I'll ban things. I'll probably ban the monk, because a guy who can kill things with his bare hands what other people need swords and bows to kill is a higher level version of the guy with the sword or the bow, not a different thing altogether.

I often ban clerics, because their existence makes metaphysical statements about my campaign world that I'm not prepared to allow. And also it's the only class whose power is really in being an adjunct to another being, which is uncomfortable. Well, now there's the warlock, but then the cleric and the warlock are very similar in kind, only their granted powers are different.

I think most people are comfortable with banning races inappropriate to the campaign world, probably more than they are classes.

And lemme see, I will always ban double weapons. No suicide swords. They don't work, they're not cool, and a quarterstaff isn't any more a double weapon than a longsword is (after all, you hit people with the pommel and quillions too).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The OP says he bans monks in part because he hates them.

No hyperbole.

That *he* bans things because he hates them does not imply that and horrible brokenness are the only reasons, though, which was the implication I got from the post. So, yes, it read like hyperbole.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I ban Europeans and those with a net worth of more than $500,000, because those are bad enough on their own and that combo is just broken.

Unless they bring beer.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't ban anything. If you want to play something weird, come up with a way to fit it into the game.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I ban stuff that doesn't fit the campaign, so no warforged in Greyhawk, for example. I also ban stuff I want to reserve for DM use only. That includes Drow and, in my Greyhawk game, psionics (I made them a specialty of the Scarlet Brotherhood).

Remove ads