Where Are All the Dungeon Masters?

In light of the Labor Day celebrations happening in the U.S., now's a good time to look at the amount of effort tabletop role-playing takes. Is it holding the hobby back from a bigger audience?

In light of the Labor Day celebrations happening in the U.S., now's a good time to look at the amount of effort tabletop role-playing takes. Is it holding the hobby back from a bigger audience?

[h=3]Why Oh Why Won't They DM?[/h]Dungeons & Dragons and many tabletop role-playing games that debuted after its release have struggled with an inherent part of its structure: one of its participants has a disproportionate share of the game's work. This isn't to say that players can't help, but the structure of the referee role as envision by co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arenson created a very different form of play for one "player." What this means is that there are always more players than Dungeon Masters (DMs) and Game Masters (DMs) -- by necessity, the game is built this way -- and as tabletop RPGs grow in popularity, a GM shortage is a real possibility.

The GM challenge stems from a variety of factors, not the least of which being the level of organizational skills necessary to pull off playing not just one character, but several. In Master of the Game, Gygax outlined the seven principal functions of a DM:

These functions are as Moving Force, Creator, Designer, Arbiter, Overseer, Director, and Umpire/Referee/Judge (a single function with various shades of meaning). The secondary functions of the Game Master are Narrator, Interpreter, Force of Nature, Personification of Non-Participant Characters, All Other Personifications, and Supernatural Power.

With a list like that, it's no wonder that potential DMs find the role intimidating! Spencer Crittenden, the DM for HarmonQuest, summarizes why it's so challenging to be a Dungeon Master:

Being a DM, like being a ref, means acknowledging you will make mistakes while still demanding respect for the authority you have over the game. It means taking charge and reducing distractions, it means observing everyone to get a sense of their feelings and levels of engagement, and keeping people engaged and interested. This is not easy, especially for beginners. There's a billion things to keep track of on your side of the DM Screen: maps, monsters, rules, dialogue, etc.

It's a lot, but there's hope.
[h=3]The Best Way to Learn[/h]D&D's style of play was unique: part improvisation, part strategic simulation, with no end game. But the game's popularity has increasingly made the idea of playing D&D less foreign to new players as other forms of gaming have picked up the basic elements of play, from board games to card games to video games. The idea of playing an elf who goes on adventure with her companions is no longer quite so novel.

That familiarity certainly made it easier for the game to be accepted by the general public, but learning to play the game is best experienced first-hand, something not many future DMs have a chance to do. Enter video.

Thanks to the rise of live streaming like Twitch and video channels like YouTube, prospective DMs can watch how the game is actually played. In fact, the sheer volume of video viewers has begun to influence Kickstarters on the topic and even merited mention by the CEO of Hasbro. If the best way to learn is by watching a game, we now have enough instructional videos in spades to satisfy the demand.

And yet, if this thread is any indication, there still aren't enough DMs -- and it's likely there never will be. After all, knowing how to play and having the time, resources, and confidence to do so are two different things, and not everyone wants to put in the effort. That's why there's an International GMs Day, conceived on this very site.

But you don't have to wait until March 4 to say thanks. If you ended up playing a game this weekend, it's worth thanking the people who help make our games possible. To all the GMs and DMs out there, thank you for everything you do!

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

pemerton

Legend
Well a DM will put in hours every week mapping, planning, writing flavor text, story, appropriate monsters to fight, setting background and tying everything together. DMs don't get the enjoyment of learning a story as it unfolds.
What you say here is probably true for most D&D games, but it's not true for RPGing in general. There are plenty of RPGs out there that don't require prep, and which let the GM get the enjoyment of learning a story as it unfolds.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One way to solve the DM problem is to make D&D easier to run for larger groups. If each DM can run for 8 and not 4 players you cut the number of DMs you need in half. But it takes better players to run a large group.

1st edtion D&D was made to run fast with group initiative and simple combat. I've run games with 9 players easily and could probably handle a dozen. As the game evolved the complexity of combat and options bog the game down for many players. I run my 5e game with 6 players, but If player came more prepared and focused in combat I could probably run 7 or 8. But it's no fun to have slow combat.

Secondarily I feel modern players want more time in the spotlight. Nothing wrong with that I guess but if player were willing to share the spotlight more players could be in the game.

Character spotlight. Let's assume there is no favorism, so each player gets an equal amount of time in the spotlight. That's "one share". The only thing that dilutes that is the DM taking up more shares where no player is getting to shine. I've never known players, modern nor grognard, who want "hey, throw exposition at us unrelated to our characters". Player have always - rightly so - wanted to be in the middle of action.

I do agree that combat is the longest mechanical construct in many (though far from all) games when measured by the wall clock. But that doesn't mean it's the only bottleneck. Trying to give everyone a chance to shine, be it in combat, RP, exploration, etc. still gets cut up between different characters.

And making sure that all characters have a chance to shine (over an adventure, not just a session) is work for the DM. So more players means more work. "Oh, I've been ignoring Juniper - let me put in some traps she can discover and disarm, plus put in some interesting terrain that climbing will offer some interesting tactical abilities. And maybe a clue to the whereabouts of her sister.". That takes more work, which would raise the bar for the DMs.

I think that your idea of a very different DM:player ratio can work with a style that focuses on it. I don't know that it's a general response.

Hurin70

Adventurer
The biggest advance I see with 5e over 3e is that it is just easier to DM (with 4e in between). 5e has a lot for players, but its very DM friendly.

As for videos...I am sure they help. Playing helps. But it is a "just do it" kind of thing. What really helps is having something like the starter set and its adventure , as their B and X equivalents did back in the day.

The real impact of the videos, and 5e, and hobby gaming's popularity, and ability to find games on the interwebs, is that there are now a bunch of players looking for DMs. The shortage is probably worse then its ever been. But it should work itself out.

5e is far harder to DM than 4e, IMHO. 5e marks a big step backwards as far as I am concerned.

4e modules listed the full stats for each creature, together with a battle map.

4e had different rules for monsters that meant all their powers could be represented on the stat block, without you having to consult the spell lists in the PHB.

My players picked up 4e a lot quicker than they picked up 5e, which has separate mechanics for each class rather than a standardized system.

I understand if people didn't like 4e. What I don't understand is how anyone can say 4e is harder to DM than 5e. They are night and day to me: 4e is so much easier.

Von Ether

Legend
What you say here is probably true for most D&D games, but it's not true for RPGing in general. There are plenty of RPGs out there that don't require prep, and which let the GM get the enjoyment of learning a story as it unfolds.

It has gotten to the point, where I need clarification of what type of story is unfolding.

It seems that RPG stories fall into three types:

• The In-Box story: Where the development of a DM's plot of events for his game and PCs. Did the character's figure out that the Ranger's sister was the villain?
  • The Out-Of-Box Story: This is sort of a sports-style story that's more about the DM, the rules and the players interacted. Did you see how Sally rolled a crit on the statue after we released it by solving that puzzle trap (as players, not as PCs.)?
  • The Hybrid Story: Which is where most RPG experiences fall into. Our PCs had no idea Longleaf's sister was the villain, but did you see how Gorgka crit'ed her with an axe?

Sometimes when these two stories intersect at odd times, DMs and players who favor one type of story get irked. Like when the BEG goes down in the first round, some players love it, some DMs hate it. Or like when players talk as their characters around a campfire for a whole session, some will thrive on it while others will claw out their eyes (metaphorically.)

fjw70

Adventurer
I love DMing more go than playing. I have been DMing since I was twelve years old and I never thought anything about it. I think part of the issue is that the gaming expectation have been set too high. Now the DM is expected to have a host of interesting NPCs and plot twists around every corner. Those are fine for experienced DMs but when I started we just created random dungeons and went around killing stiff and stealing its treasure. Dungeons that had a red dragon in one room and a Pegasus herd in the next room. It didn’t make sense but it was fun.

I think these days there is too much focus on story. Nothing wrong with a good story but some adventure can just be about exploring an ancient ruin to get treasure.

Having to learn the rules for AL and then having to buy "points" on top of that doesn't sound very encouraging to me.

Organized play just doesn't interest me, as a GM or a player. It requires a whole extra level of bookkeeping and planning, and relies on pre-done adventures. For me, half the fun is the worldbuilding that goes with being a GM. Sadly, though, most of the calls for GMs I see in my area (particularly at game stores) want you to run organized play campaigns.

Players show up, may or may not pay attention to details, may or may not be on their phones, may or may not make side conversations.

I no longer allow electronics at the table unless they are only used for game purposes, or there is a situation like a player needing to stay in contact with a babysitter. Before I ever let players join a game, I let them know that they are expected to pay attention to the game, even when their character isn't in the spotlight. If they can't promise that, they don't play in my games. I work hard to give players reasons to stay involved. I hate to be a hardass about it, but it really does interfere with games a lot.

One of my complaints over the decades has been that we need people to be less attached to D&D as their only RPG to play.

One of the reasons for DM burnout is because playing the same thing over and over again.

If playgroups would be open to playing other RPGs, it would keep more GMs inspired.

It's not the only way to get inspired, but can be after seeing how other games tackle different RP tasks.

That is a big part of the reason why I don't end up GMing as much these days as I would like to. I burned out on D&D/Pathfinder style fantasy a while back. I don't mind running a campaign here and there, but I'm not interested in putting together or joining a group that ONLY does that. In past decades I didn't have trouble finding people who were open to trying new games, at least on occasion, but in the past 10 years or so it has grown increasingly difficult.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I love DMing more go than playing. I have been DMing since I was twelve years old and I never thought anything about it. I think part of the issue is that the gaming expectation have been set too high. Now the DM is expected to have a host of interesting NPCs and plot twists around every corner. Those are fine for experienced DMs but when I started we just created random dungeons and went around killing stiff and stealing its treasure. Dungeons that had a red dragon in one room and a Pegasus herd in the next room. It didn’t make sense but it was fun.

I think these days there is too much focus on story. Nothing wrong with a good story but some adventure can just be about exploring an ancient ruin to get treasure.

Yeah, I enjoyed my home brew campaign, but taking a long break from it. Doing Curse of Strahd now, love it, but struggling with high expectations for myself. My next campaign will be a mega dungeon.

Throw the party in a big-ass dungeon and let them make their own story.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads