D&D 5E Opinions about Storm King's Thunder?

One_Shots

First Post
I've so far read the first thirty pages of the 256-page adventure module. Within the first thirty pages, I should be excited, intrigued, wanting to read further, imagining the cool encounters and shenanigans of the players and enemies and NPC's. This was the case with both Out of the Abyss and Curse of Strahd.

So far, the first thirty pages has so much useless, redundant, page-filling nonsense, that it could easily be condensed down to 5 pages and be more coherent and useful as adventure information. Of what I've read, the only thing that interests me so far is that giants are involved, somehow, in the very distant future. I'm genuinely struggling to read through it simply due to sheer boredom. Most of this content will be dealt with in just a few words to the players, mostly consisting of the phrase, "Nothing to see here."

Please tell me it gets better? 220-odd more pages of this isn't something I'm looking forward to slogging through. What are other peoples thoughts on this module?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
It never gets better. It gets worse. When you get to chapter 2, you will want to scream.

pukunui

Legend
I really enjoyed reading through it. Didn't see anything to complain about. I even enjoyed "A Great Upheaval" and would like to run it sometime. I could easily see myself running this adventure for my home group as a sequel to our Tyranny of Dragons campaign, once it's all finished.

One_Shots

First Post
Or are you just talking about the Great upheaval stuff.

Great Upheaval stuff. 90% of the content is completely useless. It's just a bit of description about a room and nothing more. Nothing is in the room. It even says, numerous times, "There is nothing of interest here." Well, great... then why did you make me read it? Why not just number the places where there is something for the players to interact with and then have a bit that says, "Make stuff up for the rest of it if they wander about and explore."

Great. Done. One sentence, not a dozen pages.

I really enjoyed reading through it. Didn't see anything to complain about. I even enjoyed "A Great Upheaval" and would like to run it sometime. I could easily see myself running this adventure for my home group as a sequel to our Tyranny of Dragons campaign, once it's all finished.

It was great fun to run with my group. I ran it pretty much by the book, other than adding in a hill giant encounter just before the party met Zephyros. The worgs and goblins were a good challenge for a 1st level party, and my group really enjoyed exploring the goblin caves and interacting with the inhabitants (they bumped into the potential traitor goblin first, which set off all sorts of fun political maneuvering! :D)

My group is in Triboar now, meeting up with the townsfolk, especially the NPCs they will be fighting alongside with soon. I've given a full rundown of what I've done so far and what I plan to do in the "Enhancing SKT" thread.

I read parts of it and I did like it. I skipped the first 30 pages mainly though and read the main chapters first.
I really did enjoy the chapter with the map and description of the places. PotA had some descrptions but those left me rather cold.

Great Upheaval stuff. 90% of the content is completely useless. It's just a bit of description about a room and nothing more. Nothing is in the room. It even says, numerous times, "There is nothing of interest here." Well, great... then why did you make me read it? Why not just number the places where there is something for the players to interact with and then have a bit that says, "Make stuff up for the rest of it if they wander about and explore."

Great. Done. One sentence, not a dozen pages.

Great Upheaval does not matter too much. It's the weakest part of the book. It's more or less just some excuse plots and things to get characters to 5th level quickly. I did find the Zhentarim stuff and Cloud Giant Castle parts fun however.

Remove ads