D&D 5E Justin Alexander's review of Shattered Obelisk is pretty scathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Are we going to pretend Wizards is bottlenecked by anything but choice?
I would argue there's also a case of Dark Sun's fiction of emulation, Swords and Sorcery, being basically a dead genre at the moment also doesn't help things.
For a given value of what you mean by "people", of course. And we're just going to have to disagree on the significance of "outcry" to a publicly traded company. They are extraordinarily risk-averse.
Firstly, dude, the hell?

Secondly, its the year 2023. They're going to write for an audience in 2023. They're not going to roll out stuff direct from the 80s and just republish it with new rules. I know you have this obsession with old stuff being adhered to, but, there's a reason every other fictional thing out there changes and revamps it over time, because, shock and horror, stories change and evolve over time as per the culture they're for. They don't stay static.

They got burnt hard on Spelljammer being a combination of bad and someone wanting to slap in a Planet of the Apes reference without thinking how it'd look, Dark Sun is an absolute pitfall trap ready to devour a hapless exec and cause the same thing

Staffan

Legend
Dark Sun is an absolute pitfall trap ready to devour a hapless exec and cause the same thing
Dark Sun is an absolute minefield. I'm sure there are ways of producing a modern take on it that'd work, but there are so, so many ways for it to go horribly wrong that I really can't fault Wizards for deciding that perhaps they'll try walking in a different direction.

Which is a shame, because the environmental aspects of the setting were really way ahead of their time and have become even more relevant today.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For a given value of what you mean by "people", of course.
This really sounds like you are dehumanising those who disagree with you. I can't see a different reading. That said, I find it hard to believe that's what you meant to say, as that would be beyond horrific, so I'm going to assume - and hope - this is a misunderstanding lof some kind. That said, I'm also going to ask you to step out of this thread.

pemerton

Legend
If your looking for a TTRPG that's not afraid of printing hard-core material, there's always Lamantations of The Flame Princess! Available where all niche TTRPGs are sold!
The only LotFP thing I've bought is the module Death Frost Doom. It's main trick is taken, I'm pretty sure without acknowledgement, from an old White Dwarf adventure (The Lichway, as best I recall).

Thomas Shey

Legend
I guess you could say that verisimilitude represents a form of "in keeping with the genre trappings this particular campaign is inspired by"... but that's not exactly going to be a universal take

I've certain seen people argue (overtly or indirectly) that high-convention genres are intrinsically verisimilitude breaking as long as you follow those conventions. And not just recently.

Pedantic

Legend
I've certain seen people argue (overtly or indirectly) that high-convention genres are intrinsically verisimilitude breaking as long as you follow those conventions. And not just recently.
Yeah, genre, if anything, usually feels like a set of concessions you're signing up for at the outset. Fantasy is going to lock down technological progress to an arbitrary and usually anachronistic point for example, or really anything to do with superheroes usually requires a hefty dose of genre enforcement to survive.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, genre, if anything, usually feels like a set of concessions you're signing up for at the outset. Fantasy is going to lock down technological progress to an arbitrary and usually anachronistic point for example, or really anything to do with superheroes usually requires a hefty dose of genre enforcement to survive.

Horror typically have some pretty strong ones, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads