Wherein we ask each other dialect questions we don't quite understand

Janx

Hero
That would SO not fly in Texas- almost all the cooks in commercial kitchens around here these days are Mexicans!:lol:

There was a place near me called Ying's Jalapeño Grill. They had a complete Mexican and complete Chinese menu- all of it good. Now, admittedly, the Chinese they were making was the Americanized stuff, but still.

Even in places where you could get authentic Japanese or Chinese dishes (on a separate menu), the cook staff were usually not Asians of any kind.

That's just wrong. :) We should need to import people from Morrus' land to cook our scones, serve our tea and to correct our spelling.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to sell us cultural food unless a guy from that culture makes it. It's the only way to be sure our scones are correct.

The best Latin bakery in the Mission District of San Francisco is owned and run by a Chinese gentleman. And Indian restaurants are very often owned and operated by folks from India... but still serve things not actually served in India.

Who makes the food does to speak to its authenticity.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
sorry, but like the guy not being happy with the spelling of Uwe Boll, can you help out and tell me how you'd like it spelt?

The correct way. C'mon, man, the spelling of a major nationality isn't obscure. Peoples' nationalities and cultures are important to them; the least you can do is make the effort to spell them correctly. It's a really basic level of respect. I'm not asking too much, am I - you're making me feel like something of an ogre for even asking it! :)

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are there Chinese restaurants in France, Ethiopian in Germany, Mexican in Japan, etc.

Of course. At least, certainly in every Western country, and every European country. I've been to Japan, but I don't recall, sadly.

So we Americans have "English restaurants", do you have "American restaurants"?

Yeah. You get "Italian American" themed places, or "50s America Diner" themed places, or random burger joints designed to look American. From my experiences in the US, they're not too far off.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On Pizza:

Pizzerias are one of the most common kinds of restaurants in the USA, and are one of the safes restaurant types to open. As such, there are lots of pizzerias out there owned and operated by ethnicities other than you'd expect...a higher percentage than is found in other ethnic restaurant types.

For instance, I know of at least 2 (very good) Romanian-owned pizzerias where I am, and one of the places near me is owned by Indians. They even serve pizzas with things like Tandoori and Paneer on them.

Yeah, when I lived in New Jersey the best Italian restaurant near me was run by Ukrainians.

Honestly, though, I think calling most Chinese, Mexican, Italian, or (name your origin) restaurants by those names in the US is disingenuous. If you called them Chinese-American, Tex-Mex, Italian-American, etc you'd be much more on target -- many of those cuisines have evolved into uniquely American varieties that aren't recognized in their reputed countries of origin.

I'm interested in what you'd find in an "English" restaurant in the US. "Authentic" as in "serves horribly bland food with awful service"? No offense to my British friends here, but Indian restaurants and one family-run place on Salisbury Plain aside, that describes my experiences with English restaurants in my few visits to the UK -- y'all really need tipping to improve the quality of product.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm interested in what you'd find in an "English" restaurant in the US. "

I don't even know what one would be. I'd be fascinated to visit an English restaurant elsewhere. The closest I've been to is a tea room at the bottom of the Spanish Steps in Rome, which charges an arm and a leg for an average cup of tea and a piece of cake.

Authentic" as in "serves horribly bland food with awful service"?

If it's any comfort, I spend Gen Con mainly on the toilet! That cuisine does not agree with me! :)

I guess "bland" and "awful" are relative. I know some truly world class places to eat near me. If you're ever here, I'd enjoy taking you to them!

I als know some truly awful places. Which would be amusing, too!

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
British
[MENTION=8835]Janx[/MENTION], do you see the spelling there? I am going to simply ask you to fix it as a fellow En Worlder. Please. Thank you.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, when I lived in New Jersey the best Italian restaurant near me was run by Ukrainians.
One of the luxury suites at the now-demolished Texas Stadium was catered by an Italian restaurant owned and operated by Iran...errrrr...Persians.

Best damn garlic bread ever.
Honestly, though, I think calling most Chinese, Mexican, Italian, or (name your origin) restaurants by those names in the US is disingenuous. If you called them Chinese-American, Tex-Mex, Italian-American, etc you'd be much more on target -- many of those cuisines have evolved into uniquely American varieties that aren't recognized in their reputed countries of origin.

Some places are that honest, but most just use the simplified appellation, even if inaccurate. But if you are a culinary adventurer, you can sort that all out. I know which Mexican restaurants near me are Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex, northern Mexican, coastal Mexican, etc.

Remove ads