D&D 5E Geniuses with 5 Int

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You're describing latter-day America and saying he doesn't live there.

What are you smoking? Where in modern America do secretaries do manual scribework? Did you miss the phrase "D&D type tech levels"?

Rules like, all ideas and discoveries made by students and staff are the property of the university and claiming personal credit for them is fraud.

Never said that.

Rules like, secretaries don't answer the door. That's the receptionists' job.

Receptionist is a modern job. Didn't exist when people were writing with quills.

A man of means would probably have house stuff, to be sure, but a professor at his place of work probably wouldn't have much more than one assistant. Two at the outside.

1) If Bruce were indeed playing his character as you describe, rolling Insight every time another player did/said something (aside from the fact that this would get old real fast) then long before the scenario in question I would have adjusted Eloelle's character appropriately, and moved to the "Is she crazy, or is it all a ruse?" concept. The premise of that character no longer functions if you can't tell the "out of scene" narration around the table; it's not much fun to keep it to yourself.
Passive Insight scores, dude. And he has a good shot at telling whether she's crazy or lying, too. Master Bruce does have some experience in the field of abnormal psychology, after all.

It sure ain't an Invisibility spell. Are you going to compare History to Legend Lore next?
I wasn't the one who compared Insight to zone of truth to start with.

What I hear reading this is the playground bully saying, "No, ma'am, I was just trying to fend off his vicious assault and somehow he ran onto my fist."

Poor, poor Bruce. He's just trying to roleplay his character! It's not his fault if the way he chooses to do that, among the infinite range of options open to him, causes Eloelle problems. Maybe it appears antagonistic to her because that's how she thinks about everything!
What the hell, man? It is Eloelle's "look at me, I'm too cool for natural language" 5-Int genius character concept that requires the other PCs to give her a pass whenever she lies to them, and you say it's Bruce's choices that are causing problems? Maliciously? Do you honestly have no other mode of dealing with people who don't think or act according to your expectations than to recast them as evil caricatures? This has got to be the third or fourth time I've called you out on this. And your only response is... to incorporate being called out into your caricature. I'm not sure whether that's more Kafkaesque or Helleresque, but it's pretty messed up either way.

Hmm... Kafkaesque. Definitely more Kafkaesque.

How so? I'm giving everybody a roleplaying out! I'm now playing a delusional, nutty, muttering warlock. Maybe you missed the Hamlet reference. TwoSix gets it: I'm trying to keep everybody guessing whether Eloelle is delusional, or whether she's really a genius. In other words, I'm trying to immerse the other players in the story I'm telling by making them feel like their characters would. I'd be delighted if somebody at my table did something like that. The fact that you see it as disruptive/abusive/unpleasant/childish says...something.
What I hear reading this is the class clown giving a smarmy and blatantly insincere "What did I do? I was just trying to help!" Hamlet was shining a stage-light on the barriers of communication that separate man from man. You are by your own admission "tailgating them with your high beams on". Please don't insult my intelligence by trying to dress up an act of passive-aggressive spite as a literary endeavor.

I suppose if the other participants were actively trying to undermine Eloelle's character concept then this could really look like a childish way to respond. But since you've stated quite clearly that that's not the case, this seems like a happy outcome for all.
But since you've stated quite clearly that you think it is the case, you seem to be owning that this is indeed a childish way to respond. And if they're not trying to undermine you, and you act out anyway, doesn't that make you even more childish?

I probably also wouldn't return to the table, although I only mention that because I'm curious to see how you're going to turn that into me being a petulant One True Way gamer.
You're doing a perfectly fine job of that all by yourself.

BoldItalic

First Post
Never said that.
No, I know you didn't. I did.

Receptionist is a modern job. Didn't exist when people were writing with quills.
The Threbean word for the assistant who follows you around, writing down what is said and reminding you later, is σηκτρός. Goofle translate did its best. Likewise, the person who answers the door and delays visitors whom he judges to be unimportant, is called the δεσήπτϖν. Again, Goofle did its best.

A man of means would probably have house stuff, to be sure, but a professor at his place of work probably wouldn't have much more than one assistant. Two at the outside.
Now you're applying your own rules again. In my fiction, he can have as many assistants as he cares to employ. If he wants someone just to carry his lucky dragon's foot* around, he can have that. He is wealthy.

Plus, his university is exempt from taxes because his old adventuring buddy Olaf the Ready is now King Olaf IV of Threbes and he makes the rules. Another buddy, Gen. Chariot "Blood" Carver is now Olaf's brother-in-law and in charge of the army. They have an arrangment whereby students and staff of the university are exempt from military service, which is otherwise compulsory, and this ensures a steady supply of suitable students who are only too aware that soldiers who turn out to be brighter than their superiors are regarded by the army as unpleasant and in need of being shouted at.

*There are several schools of thought about lucky dragons' feet. Some point out that the person who removes the foot from the dragon was lucky. Others point out that it wasn't so lucky for the dragon. Some say there's no such thing as luck. Others say there's no such thing as dragons. A few insist that although there are dragons, they are wyrms and don't have feet. No-one take much notice of the last lot.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But the PC hasn't failed. S/he has succeeded.

As a house rule, sure. As far as RAW is concerned, that's false.

At the table, the player has failed a saving throw.

Players can't fail a saving throw. They roll to see if the PC has failed. Saves are an in-game mechanic that only the PC can make or fail.

This constrains his/her narration of his/her PC's success - namely, s/he must keep up the deception and hand over the information to which s/he is entitled in virtue of his/her poor INT checks.

This is a house rule, since you've altered the game to make the player and not the PC the target of the spell, and therefore the player, not the PC makes or fails the save. Seems rather silly to me to make such a change in order to allow the PC to lie under a zone of truth, but whatever makes you happy.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He doesn't do those things. He's a sorcerer.

Entirely irrelevant. His strength is his strength regardless of what he chooses to do. That he CAN do those things with his full strength is all that matters. What you just argued is the same as, "I choose not to own a gun, so I have a harder time pulling a trigger than if I owned one." That's an equivalent argument to your, "Since he's a sorcerer and chooses not to bash down doors with his 18 strength, he has a 7 due to one arm being hurt."

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Entirely irrelevant. His strength is his strength regardless of what he chooses to do. That he CAN do those things with his full strength is all that matters. What you just argued is the same as, "I choose not to own a gun, so I have a harder time pulling a trigger than if I owned one." That's an equivalent argument to your, "Since he's a sorcerer and chooses not to bash down doors with his 18 strength, he has a 7 due to one arm being hurt."
If he doesn't do it, there is no can. You're trying to assert something to similar to saying "Your 18 Cha character must be magical, because he can take a level in sorcerer, by RAW."

Plus, you're still trying to force people to accept the necessity of associated mechanics, which I reject absolutely. As long as I can retcon the result of any roll to tie into the advancing narrative, that's all that matters to me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
pemerton;6870122 First said:
Games[/I] aren't the sorts of things that care (or fail to care). And the mechanics demand nothing of any character: mechanics are things that exist and operate in the real world, and demand things of the players.

In this particular case, the mechanics demand that the the player hand over certain information - broadly, the information to which his/her PC has a canonical form of access. A peculiarity of ZoT is that it is a disadvantage to be subject to that spell if your PC has a high INT and/or you are an informed player. Luckily for the player of the 5 INT character, the PC has a low INT and the player is not well informed!

First, it's a figure of speech. I know very well that the game has an int, wis and cha of 0 and doesn't actually care about things. The game does require certain things, though, and that is that the PC tell the truth as he knows it if the PC fails the save. Well informed or not well informed doesn't play into it.

In the case of Eloelle, since she absolutely knows the answer (even if it is the wrong answer), she must tell the truth and say what it is that she knows. She is incapable of lying and saying, "I don't know" and she is incapable of lying and saying, "My patron scoffs at your puny magic and I don't have to answer." She does have to answer. The mechanics force her to.

Baring a house rule to void those mechanics, her true answer would something along the lines of, "My patron scoffs at your puny magic (true in her mind). The answer is goonygoogoo (true in her mind, but wrong for the riddle).

The second weird thing is that you think it is some sort of "touche" event to point out that this is a non-standard application of the ZoT spell ("house rule"). Of course it is (and I don't think [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] has denied that). If you're going to do funky things with the INT score, of course information-gathering/disclosure-forcing spells are going to generate some corner cases.

He has in fact denied that it is a house rule. I think that's the only reason most or all of us are still debating this with him. If he just came out and admitted it, there'd be nothing left to argue. We'd either say we like or dislike the house rule, but then we'd be like, "It's your game to house rule how you like. Have fun!" and move on.

To bring up a comparison: in the Marvel Heroic RP game, the following characters all have a high Durability score: Captain American, Invisible Woman and The Thing. For Cap it is his shield; for Sue Storm her forcefield; for Ben Grimm his skin.

That means that these Durability scores can be circumvented in different ways: for instance, if The Thing is unconscious he is still durable, whereas that is not so for Captain America or Invisible Woman - in mechanical terms, if one of these characters is unconscious than his/her player can't declare an action that draws upon the Durability stat.

The game is not broken because it uses the same stat to represent much the same outcome (in typical circumstances these characters can't easily be hurt) although, in the fiction, the reason for being hard to hurt is quite different. It demands paying attention to the fiction, especially as we move towards edge cases, but that's a virtue in a RPG (isn't it?).

It's broken because D&D doesn't model things like that. 5e isn't Marvel and as [MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] has said repeatedly, other games will model what is being tried far better than D&D. You have to house rule mechanics in D&D to cludge together that sort of story ability.

[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] is presenting INT, and ZoT, in much the same way. And it has much the same consequences - some more marginal or atypical cases require closer attention to the fiction in order to establish a clear narration.

None of us here have a 5 int. We understand what he is trying to do. The issue is that he doesn't want to admit that it's a house rule and he thinks 5e RAW allows what he is saying.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Certainly much better than my last barbarian character, who tended to crap his pants when he went down to 0 HP. I got a little too "immersed" in that character in the last session I played with that group.

Did you bring an extra set of pants and underwear with you before becoming that "immersed?"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If he doesn't do it, there is no can.

That defies logic to an immense degree. I don't kill people and never will, but I assure that I can do it if a tried. I won't ever jump off tall buildings, but I absolutely can do it. The same applies to PCs unless you are playing in some bizarro world fantasy where PCs literally can't do anything that they've never done before.

Also, if a strength 7 pixie were trying to force your burly hobgoblin PC off of a cliff to his death, your PC would use his full 18 strength body to resist. He wouldn't need his arm for that, and he'd have a huge advantage over that pixie with a REAL 7 strength.

You're trying to assert something to similar to saying "Your 18 Cha character must be magical, because he can take a level in sorcerer, by RAW."

Nope! Different circumstances are different. An attribute is a constant, unlike whether or not to take a class which is only a potential.

Plus, you're still trying to force people to accept the necessity of associated mechanics, which I reject absolutely. As long as I can retcon the result of any roll to tie into the advancing narrative, that's all that matters to me.
Not me. 5e is doing that very nicely. I'm just explaining the rules to people. If you(general you) want to house rule things to be different, then I have no objection. You have acknowledged the house rule, but [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] has not.

Remove ads