Worlds of Design: When There's Too Many Magic Items

If you’ve GMed a long-standing campaign where players reached fairly high levels, you may have run into problems of too much magic, or of too many low-powered magic items (such as +1 items) in the hands of the heroes. What to do?

While you could simply buy up the surplus, there are other ways that don’t put lots of gold in character’s hands. These methods can be built into a game’s rules (as in Pathfinder 2 “resonance”) or they can be added by the GM.
[h=3]Limit the Supply (i.e., limit ownership)[/h] The proper game design way is to severely limit supply, as could be done in a board game. No magic item sales. Middle-earth is an example of a world with very few magic items.

But what about joint campaigns, where several people GM in the same world? New GMs, especially, will tend to give away too much “to make people happy.”

But that’s a setting thing, not rules/mechanisms. An RPG designer doesn’t control the setting, not even his or her own.

In these days where “loot drops” are the norm, where every enemy in a computer RPG has loot, it’s really hard to get players accustomed to a severe shortage of stuff to find. So limit usage, or provide ways to use up the small stuff.
[h=3]Limit Usage[/h]
  • Tuning to just three (5e D&D)
  • Resonance
  • Easy to come up with other methods
5e D&D’s tuning of magic items to characters is one of the best rules in the game, at least from a designer’s point of view.

Pathfinder 2 beta was using resonance (level plus charisma), whereby use of a magic item uses up some of your resonance for the day, until you have no more and can use no more magic until the next day. It was more complex than that, with you “investing” in items that could then be used all day. There are lots of ways to use the idea.
[h=3]Destroy Them[/h] The D&D method was fireball or LB with failed saving throw. But that was so all-or-nothing that even I didn’t like it. Moreover, the tougher characters tend to end up with even more magic items, relative to others, because they fail their save less often; that may not be desirable.

Have everything (most, anyway) wear out. This is a hassle if you have to track something like charges or uses. I assign a dice chance (or use a standard one for a type of item), and the player rolls after each use (or I do, so the player won’t know until the next time they try to use the item). When the “1" comes up, the item is done, finis, kaput (unless you allow it to be “recharged”). For example, 1 in 20 failure rate is obvious; roll a 1 on a d20, that’s it. With two dice you can make 1 in 40, 1 in 50, whatever you want. If you want armor, shields, and other passive defensive items to wear out, rolling once per combat might do.
[h=3]Burn Them Up[/h]
  • My Skyrafts
  • Furnace Helms in Spelljammer
  • Rituals?
I devised something called Skyrafts, made of segments of Skystone (of course), that could slowly fly when powered by magic items. So you could sacrifice something like a +1 sword to get X miles of travel, X being whatever a GM wishes. The more segments (carrying capacity) in the Skyraft, the more magic it consumed. Yes, this could be expensive, but if your world has become infested with +1 items, this is a way to get rid of them.

Furnace Helms in SpellJammer accomplish the same thing, but only if you’re running a Spelljammer campaign.

You could also devise powerful ritual spells that consume magic items.
[h=3]“Enforcers”[/h] These are people who seek out wimpy characters with magic items much too powerful for them, and take them away. I don’t do this, as it doesn’t make much sense to me. But it could in some contexts.

I'm sure others have devised yet more ways to limit the influence of magic items.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Why do you have two fighters in the same party who both use swords? If you're running a game where magic items are sufficiently rare that this is likely to happen, then you should probably let the players know before the game starts, so they can avoid creating such an obvious conflict.
Why?

Fact of life: sometimes there isn't enough of a given resource (in this case, magic swords) to go around.

Life isn't fair ...
Exactly. Stop there and you're gold. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because players can make what ever characters they want?

Gawd even Middle Earth had more then one magic sword.

Middle Earth had tens of thousands of them. Pretty much all the first age elves were equipped with swords like Sting, Glamdring and Orcrist. As well as magical bows and other weaponry. The dwarves also imbued a form of magic into their weapons and armor through their forging techniques. The Numenorians forged magic weaponry, as evidenced by the Daggers of Westernesse. They undoubtedly had all sorts of weapons that had that sort of magical power.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Where it becomes a problem is when magic items have no pre-determined or game-state monetary value, thus providing no viable way to equalize Player B's PC treasury share for not getting the sword. This alone is enough reason for any system to incorporate magic item pricing.

Yeah I agree. We used to roll for who got what pick and did a snake draft, with money shares available if there were no items left!

Where the DM can really matter is in terms of what gets dropped.

Jay Verkuilen

Middle Earth had tens of thousands of them. Pretty much all the first age elves were equipped with swords like Sting, Glamdring and Orcrist. As well as magical bows and other weaponry. The dwarves also imbued a form of magic into their weapons and armor through their forging techniques. The Numenorians forged magic weaponry, as evidenced by the Daggers of Westernesse. They undoubtedly had all sorts of weapons that had that sort of magical power.

Absolutely. The historical Middle Earth is 100% not a low magic world. It's becoming a low magic world.

Jay Verkuilen

Ugh. A healing potion that only may, or may not work? No thank you, such a rule would make consumable items nearly useless. They are 'bad' enough in that many people hoard them, waiting for 'just the right time' to use them, which may never come. (Or, if it does, they might not realize it.)

Hoarding tends to get alleviated if you make drops of consumables happen a bit more regularly and/or make them available for purchase or manufacture.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah I agree. We used to roll for who got what pick and did a snake draft, with money shares available if there were no items left!
We add the values of everything and divide into shares, then people can take their share as magic items, cash, or (almost always) a combination of the two. Everyone ends up with the same monetary value when all is done, unless for some other reason (e.g. not being around for the whole adventure) there's people who only get part-shares.

Where the DM can really matter is in terms of what gets dropped.
To a point. My experience is that no matter what gets dropped the PCs are liable to miss some of it...

...or somehow destroy it before they know it's there. Recently a party I DM had summoned a massive Earth Elemental to fight for them and, the battle won, had no further use for it. But they needed to give it something to do to keep it occupied for the time it would be around, lest it turn on them; so the summoner sent it out on a hunt-and-destroy mission through the yet-unexplored parts of the dungeon, starting with "that door". Well, "that door" led straight to the dungeon's main treasure hoard, full of magical goodies......

What a mess.

The only bright side, small though it is, was that none of the destroyed magic was vital to what they were doing.

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
There are ways to make resonance type ideas work. For instance, items of a certain power level may well not play nice with each other. In my 2E to houserules game, I more or less posited that a character can only bear one item of legendary status---Rod of Law, Hammer of Thunderbolts, just to name two in the game---without serious consequences. That much fate encapsulated in an item in the hands of one person, or in one place, is dangerous. I've more or less embraced a magic item economy for lower end stuff, but there's really only so much of it worth buying and supply is uncertain. This campaign is pretty cosmic in scope, though, and the PCs are leading a group that sucks up resources pretty nicely.

Thinking through a 5E lens but it generalizes reasonably well, of the best cures for grindy magic items IMO is to make most items handed out consumable or things that augment a PC without qualitatively shifting their abilities. For instance, an item I devised is nifty but limited in scope. Currently one PC has the Lesser Belt. It's a cool item, but by no means is it overwhelming.

A good idea, but then you take away a primary motivation for adventuring - acquiring and using epic magic items.

VS

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
Ugh. A healing potion that only may, or may not work? No thank you, such a rule would make consumable items nearly useless. They are 'bad' enough in that many people hoard them, waiting for 'just the right time' to use them, which may never come. (Or, if it does, they might not realize it.)

Just to clarify, it would definitely work for as many times as the character's level per day. But, yes, there would be a chance of it not working if PCs kept spamming healing potions throughout the day. Being less infallible, maybe they wouldn't get hoarded. Or if you think that would be a problem, just decrease the number of healing potions in the world.

All things being equal, you want players to wait for "just the right time" to use a special item or magical ability. Otherwise, magic is just commonplace and eventually may become boring.

VS

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
All things being equal, you want players to wait for "just the right time" to use a special item or magical ability. Otherwise, magic is just commonplace and eventually may become boring.

VS
In theory, this is correct.

In practice, "just the right time" either comes far too soon (the PC blows all her magic right away and then is left with nothing) or - far more often - never comes at all (the PC rarely if ever uses any magic for fear of the need for it being greater tomorrow than it is today, and so the consumable magic items just get hoarded until something dispels or destroys them).

Ed Laprade

First Post
Just to clarify, it would definitely work for as many times as the character's level per day. But, yes, there would be a chance of it not working if PCs kept spamming healing potions throughout the day. Being less infallible, maybe they wouldn't get hoarded. Or if you think that would be a problem, just decrease the number of healing potions in the world.

VS

I can't argue that last bit. Its clueing the players in on when that time is, without being super obvious about it, that's the hard part.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases