D&D 5E Martial Damage Dice and Skill Die reset?

Pierson_Lowgal

First Post
Just started working my way through the Dec 17 playtest packet.
1) The non magic using entries are clear that dice cannot be re-used on the same turn, meaning they can be used multiple times per round? Doesn't that make parry amazing? And wouldn't that disincentivize enemies from attacking the fighter?

2)Does the rogue have unlimited use of his/her skill die to power his/her skill tricks? Or is it once per round? Or once per turn?

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
1) The non magic using entries are clear that dice cannot be re-used on the same turn, meaning they can be used multiple times per round? Doesn't that make parry amazing? And wouldn't that disincentivize enemies from attacking the fighter?

Parry is still a reaction, meaning the fighter would still only be able to use it once per round.

2)Does the rogue have unlimited use of his/her skill die to power his/her skill tricks? Or is it once per round? Or once per turn?

Good question. I think that, because the use of those skill dice are so situational, they are effectively unlimited actions that will probably only come up once per round (if that). It is important to note that, when you spend the skill die, you don't get to add it to an ability check (unless the skill trick says otherwise). Also, that some skill tricks have automatic abilities that do not require the die to be spent to trigger them.

Last edited:

A'koss

Explorer
From twitter we've gotten a good answer on this from WotC. At the start of your round you must decide (if you're a fighter) how you are going to spread around your MDD between your attack / maneuver and parry. If you use all of your dice in an attack, you will have none left to use in your parry (except your skill die) until your next turn comes up. So it becomes a tactical choice whether you want to be more aggressive or defensive or a bit of both.

A'koss

Explorer

The skill die will apply to all tasks you perform that uses it with one exception. Any trick which requires you to use a skill die to activate that also involves a check as part of it - you don't get to apply the skill die to that specific check.

Rune

Once A Fool
From twitter we've gotten a good answer on this from WotC. At the start of your round you must decide (if you're a fighter) how you are going to spread around your MDD between your attack / maneuver and parry. If you use all of your dice in an attack, you will have none left to use in your parry (except your skill die) until your next turn comes up. So it becomes a tactical choice whether you want to be more aggressive or defensive or a bit of both.

Actually, as pointed out in this post, there's some ambiguity on that point. Seems some staffers are doing it one way, and some are doing it the way it actually reads.

My suggestion: When in doubt--try it both ways and report how they work!

A'koss

Explorer
Actually, as pointed out in this post, there's some ambiguity on that point. Seems some staffers are doing it one way, and some are doing it the way it actually reads.

My suggestion: When in doubt--try it both ways and report how they work!

Lol! Even they can't keep it straight... :D

That said, Mearls agrees that applying to every action is just too much.

the Jester

Legend
Hmm, my limited playtest experience with the current packet shows MDD to be very powerful, but I'm not sure I agree that they are overpowered if they refresh every turn.

WotC_Trevor

First Post
Hey guys. So my interpretation of the rules was wrong. I was assuming the rules meant the beginning of your turn, but Mike cleared that up and he's definitely the authority there. :)

So yeah, you currently get all your dice for every turn, not just your own. Sorry for feeding more confusion into that.

Stalker0

Legend
Hey guys. So my interpretation of the rules was wrong. I was assuming the rules meant the beginning of your turn, but Mike cleared that up and he's definitely the authority there. :)

So yeah, you currently get all your dice for every turn, not just your own. Sorry for feeding more confusion into that.

Hey Trevor, can you post an example of how it should work? With the back and forth on the language, an example would really help clarify the actual intent.

WotC_Trevor

First Post
So let's say you're playing a fighter. From what I've seen from Mike, you could use all your dice to do extra damage on your turn. Then, let's say, a monster goes next. It moves in to attack you, hits and rolls damage. You can again use all your dice to parry, because it's a new turn - the monster's turn. And it wouldn't just work for parry, but also for other reactions like protect.

And if you had combat reflexes and another monster moved out of your reach, you could use your extra reaction for an attack of opportunity and get all your extra dice on that attack as well, since it's the monster's turn.

That's the way things look like they're working RAW and from what Mike is saying. I'm not sure it's over-powered or anything (I'll let you guys debate that :p ). My table was definitely playing it wrong, but that's an easy fix. Sorry again for any confusion.

I'm pretty sure RAW also says all dogs have to be green.

(Seriously, how many times can I mess this up? I think I'm done now.)

Last edited:

Remove ads