Explore New Fey Options For 5E & Pathfinder With THE FAERIE RING

The Faerie Ring is an upcoming book for D&D 5E and Pathfinder which focuses on fey monsters, races, and more. It's designed to bring in the fey mythos, with mysterious and powerful fey lords, locations, and more. The folks behind it have sent along some enticing previews for me to share with you. "The Faerie Ring expands the fey options for both players and GMs using either Pathfinder Roleplaying Game or 5E and creates new opportunities for meddling where you probably shouldn't. It introduces new fey monsters, playable fey races and other character options, fey big bads or patrons (or both!), fey cities and planes and other locales, and more."

zsp_cover1.jpg

The new playable races look interesting. Over a dozen of them: fir bolg, bitterclaws, darklings, goodfellows, wyrd, putti, twilight children, black hats, far darrig, kitsune, matabiri, sidhe. The fir blog are Celtic warrior fey, led by Slaine, their king, who were nearly destroyed by Morrigan and her sidhe, now living as scavengers and nomads. There's also the putti, plant-creatures which resemble floating purple-skinned babies. Or the twilight children, which are changelings who live in the shadows. There's a whole load of races.

It has a heck of a "cast" too -- amongst the plethora of folks working on this thing, you can count Steven Helt (and the Horsemen), Monica Marlowe, Ben McFarland, Sarah Madsen, Mike Welham, Todd Stewart, Liz Courts, Savanah Broadway, BJ Hensley, David Schwartz, John Bennett, Clinton Boomer, Wolfgang Baur, and Scott Gable. That's quite a lot of design expertise there.

It's a Kickstarter, of course -- just head on over to back the project. It needs a bit of loving -- with 12 days to go, it's not halfway to its goal yet, and it really looks like a book that deserves to get made. The same folks created the successful It Came From The Stars Kickstarter a while back. You get both PDFs (Player and GM) for $30, or just one for $15. The two books in print are $35 and $55 respectively,or $75 for both, all in full colour.

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 19.28.18.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 19.28.50.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 19.29.20.png

SaveSave

I think this is a great concept and I hope it sees the light of day as Zombie Sky Press have delivered excellent quality previously. However, the pdf pledge point is too high for a GM like myself (I can pick up the 5e Player's Handbook in print for around the same price). Also the stretch goals being an extra $20 (without looking like being funded at this point) is a Kickstarter design mistake in my opinion. In addition, my previous three/four years' experience of Kickstarting has made me very wary of stretch goal delivery; I'm still waiting on some stretch goals from Kickstarters that funded three years ago and don't ever expect to see them. Best of luck ZSP but I won't be helping out on this occasion.
It does look like the stretch goals are extra. Which is annoying and seems like a mistake. Confusing or mixing stretch goals and ad-ons.
But the difference between the $30 and $50 pledges might also be the magic book, which isn't well explained anywhere. It has no separate pledge levels. It's odd that there's no "pick a single PDF level" for GMs who don't want the associated player book.
The print prices seem fine but $15 PDFs are steep. (And the $20 jump suggests the third book is more expensive).

The preview looks good. The content is much needed - a topic both games have barely touched. And a topic I rather enjoy. But the absence of some information and steep PDF price are masking me reluctant.
We know the pages, but I'd like more detail on what's in the book. Are the race entities super fluffy? Packed with crunch? Are they just converting the crunch from PF to 5e? What fills any extra space? Do people who back get PDFs for both games?
Before I'd consider pleding I want more.

Mephista

Adventurer
Meh. More pseudo-Celtic/Greco-roman hybrid things in a deciduous forest and using Mab & Titania. Worth less for someone who's not married to Fantasy-Medieval-Europa. Huge portions of my game involve blendings of Rokugan, Al Qadim, a bit of Atlas, and other locals where this would only be a tiny portion of the game. I think I've only got two forests where this would work, and they're pretty full with existing fae creatures as it is.

Is it so wrong to want a more multi-cultural approach?

Zansy

Explorer
Is it so wrong to want a more multi-cultural approach?

Only in a sense that there are ways and source books that help do that, such as using material from a plethora of books or checking a broader scale campaign setting, while looking for it in a book exclusively from it's own interpretation of fey is rather unsuited for you.

Personally I'm more into campaigns that explore small regions better than those that travel the world. But everyone has their own preference over salt and pepper. :p

Mephista

Adventurer
Only in a sense that there are ways and source books that help do that, such as using material from a plethora of books or checking a broader scale campaign setting, while looking for it in a book exclusively from it's own interpretation of fey is rather unsuited for you.

Personally I'm more into campaigns that explore small regions better than those that travel the world. But everyone has their own preference over salt and pepper. :p
By that rationale, we don't need this one either - this style material has been done to death. Just crack open some 3e books, and you're done. And yet, people are donating towards it.

And, even if we're talking a small location... its clearly heavily forest based. Meanwhile, look at the Land Druid and Ranger. Look at all the land types. Artic, swamps, deserts, grasslands, mountains, swamps, underdark in addition to forests. That's eight land types that are common in a Medieval setting. And the book has a strong focus on forest settings and creatures.

For a fey-focused book, it appears shockingly narrow in execution.

Zansy

Explorer
By that rationale, we don't need this one either - this style material has been done to death. Just crack open some 3e books, and you're done. And yet, people are donating towards it.

And, even if we're talking a small location... its clearly heavily forest based. Meanwhile, look at the Land Druid and Ranger. Look at all the land types. Artic, swamps, deserts, grasslands, mountains, swamps, underdark in addition to forests. That's eight land types that are common in a Medieval setting. And the book has a strong focus on forest settings and creatures.

For a fey-focused book, it appears shockingly narrow in execution.

We have different definitions of need and want, it would seem.
Different games/systems/groups have different interpretations of the content they want I'm their game, some games want to focus on something specific rather than consult a paragraph about it that's part of a bigger book. The good news about it is that someone who wants to focus on something particular in the game can likely find a whole book about it and take what appeals to that person. D&D (and Pathfinder, indirectly) in general have medieval European fantasy layed in their premise as their focus. There are other games, as well as home made campaigns within the aforementioned systems, that focus on other things that might interest you better, and expand on these things with expansion books that are likely focused too. There's nothing wrong with an expansion focusing on a particular aspect of a game, because you buy the expansion with expectations to get more info on the things you are looking for.

deClench

First Post
Publisher here. Just wanted to pop my head in and offer up the sample of our first two chapters. The Prelude chapter explains what we're trying to do and that we are reaching far and wide for myths and folklore from around the world, not just European. And the following chapter, Red Jack, is straight out of Japanese folklore with the kitsune and pipe foxes and murder stone. Of course, there are some very visible European elements, such as Mab and the Seelie/Unseelie Courts and the sidhe/fir bolg and pooka. But there are also lots of non-European elements, such as the mogwoi and yaksha and the matabiri and peri and Rahab and devata and fata and yokai. And some completely made up and unique, such as Moaro and the darklings. We have more coming with roots from all over the world.

This is intended as an open ended project with more and diverse fey coming, while each chapter, on the other hand, is a thin slice of flavor, focused on something very particular. If any of that intrigues you, I hope you'll check us out. We'll have a few more samples coming before the end of the campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases