Horrid DM's

I have no issue with DM's not getting all Pythagorean on diagonal movement. The stink part is bad, but if you really want to see what a horrid DM experience is, let me quote myself and tell you the story of how I almost quit D&D.

I'm speechless. I can't understand how anyone would think this is okay.

Have to agree. All the rule does is add complexity. For those that complain it's not realistic, well neither is 90% of the stuff characters can do - especially in Pathfinder.

Soul Stigma

First Post
I wish I hadn't. And, from the people who've offered their sympathies, I'm sure others wish I hadn't either.

That whole story is creepy as hell, but I'm glad you still found your place with D&D. I don't recall anything as bad as that, but I do recall times when female players felt uncomfortable because the rest of the table (males and apparently severely unsocialized) seemed to think the game was suddenly a singles bar. Mind you, I'm an old fart and female players were extremely rare back then.

To the main topic, though, I've spent most of my D&D history as a DM, and I know I made mistakes plenty of times. I often read bad DM stories here at EN World that tell me I was pretty good even when new. Because I started as a school kid in the 80s with equally-new players, I suppose any mistakes didn't really get noticed as much. I do remember one campaign that was Monty Haul, though, and I learned from it.

At any rate, while the original post may not register highly on the bad DM Richter scale, and none are likely to register as highly as [MENTION=82779]MechaPilot[/MENTION], I hope folks will still post some. They're usually a laugh for those that weren't there!

moonebeam

First Post
Years ago I had an experience that almost caused be to quit playing D&D. My DM relocated, so I had to find a new group to game with. I found a group, but I didn't really know anyone there. During the game, the party bit off more than it could chew, and we were captured. I was the only female player, and I played the only female character in the group. The DM proceeded to have our captors rape my character. He even pushed me to roleplay the scene, describing what the rapist was doing to my character and asking me what my character was doing.

I was horrified to the point of silence.

When I looked around the table for support, the other players just stared at me and watched as my face turned pale, glancing back to the DM as he described the "action." Once I realized that yes, this was actually happening and they expected me to be a part of it, I grabbed my stuff and left as quickly as I could.

It was humiliating, terrifying, and degrading (I could only assume they were imagining me going through what was being done to my character). In retrospect, I think I was very fortunate that I didn't suffer a real life assault that night. However, as fortunate as I may have been that night, it was also a very scarring experience that informs my decisions about playing with strangers to this day. That's how I almost quit D&D for good. . .

What a horrifying experience for you. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
...And, from the people who've offered their sympathies...
I think I'm a little older than you, so I converted into Protective Big Brother mode when I first read your story. You would have been about the age my daughter is now, so I can go into Angry Dad mode too.
In both cases, aimed at the DM as primary target and then the rest of the table as secondary targets.

(Can you tell that my first 5e character was a Paladin?)

S'mon

Legend
BTW I strongly urge all GMs to have one hard rule, namely NO RAPING THE PCS - and NB this is entirely independent of the sex of EITHER the players or the PCs. It is not OK to rape male PCs, it is not ok to rape female PCs played by male players. The ONLY conceivable exception is if the player has already discussed it with you and indicated it is something they are ok with happening, which may be the case in certain 'adult' sorts of RPG. The default rule should be a hard bright line IMO.

My old group had a bad experience with a DM who simply had no imagination or storytelling skills. The only reason I suspect he wanted to be DM, was because he wanted to play a particular setting. But he was TERRIBLE, and didn't prepare anything. I'm not exactly sure what he was expecting. He had seen some of our group members DM a campaign, and he should have known that a bare minimum of preparation might be a good idea. But this campaign went bad immediately from the start.

DM: You arrive at a spaceport. *silence*

Us: What do we see?

DM: You know... its a spaceport. It looks like a spaceport.

Us: Are there buildings? .... People?

DM: There's a general.

Us: Do we know his name?

DM: Ehrm... John.

Us: Do we see anyone else?

DM: Ehrm... there's also a police officer.

Us: What's his name?

DM: ....ehrm....

Us: ...Lets guess... his name is John too?

DM: ...Ehrm... Yep.

Me: I think we're done here.

Remove ads