Perception should be an intelligence proficiency

snickersnax

Explorer
Wizards tend to be naturally smarter then most at trivia they aren’t specialized in. I’m not sure every wizard should be good at every knowledge skill. I could see someone who specializes in one focus, like spellcasting, might not have a lot of time to learn other things outside their field.

The problem is that the combined knowledge of two 8 intelligence barbarians is be going to be roughly comparable to a single 16 intelligence wizard in a trivia contest assuming all three don't have any proficiency in knowledge checks. I know there are plenty of things that don't make sense in 5e, but for me that's too far.

Other than the time required to copy spells there is nothing to suggest that learning wizardry takes a long time. In any game with multiclassing, characters become 1st level wizards with no more effort than any other class, and all classes accomplish this with no significant effort.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The problem is that the combined knowledge of two 8 intelligence barbarians is be going to be roughly comparable to a single 16 intelligence wizard in a trivia contest assuming all three don't have any proficiency in knowledge checks. I know there are plenty of things that don't make sense in 5e, but for me that's too far.

Other than the time required to copy spells there is nothing to suggest that learning wizardry takes a long time. In any game with multiclassing, characters become 1st level wizards with no more effort than any other class, and all classes accomplish this with no significant effort.

It really depends on how you resolve said trivia contest.

A 16 Int wizard will know about 20% more than an 8 Int barbarian, given a passive knowledge check. The wizard can also know more obscure facts because they can hit a dc 20+ while the barbarian can only get a dc 19.

Traditionally, wizards were older than most adventurers. I think in old editions, wizards were 40+ before they finished their training and started adventureing. The recent editions got rid of minimum ages. I think Raistlin from dragonlance was young (mid 20s?) but he was the youngest to have ever finished his tests.

How people justify multi classing really depends on dm and campaign. Some don’t allow multiclassing. I usually require a player to have a good reason. Maybe they’ve had a magic book for the last few years and only just recently learned to decode it. Or maybe we hand waive one year passing. I know lots of dms don’t care about that kind of thing though.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

Garbage in : garbage out. This has become my new mantra for people complaining about possibly ridiculous outcomes. If you let the players try ridiculous actions don't be surprised by ridiculous results. :)

snickersnax

Explorer

Just to keep it practical: A quick perusal of this list

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?495735-List-of-published-5e-skill-DCs

to glean published DCs for knowledge checks shows, by my count, 29 knowledge checks of 15 or lower and 8 higher than 15, with 15 being the most common DC for a knowledge check.

Two 8 intelligence barbarians have a 43.75% chance of making a DC 15 knowledge check (between them they have to roll a 16 or higher)

One 16 intelligence wizard has a 45% chance of making a DC 15 knowledge check (he has to roll a 12 or higher)

Are there uncommon cases where the wizard has a small chance to know something that the barbarians have now way of knowing? yes But the way the game is played intelligence doesn't mean much.

That's why I posted my house rule of allowing intelligent characters additional knowledge skills. I think its a great compromise between those who simply house rule an extra skill per point of intelligence modifier, and those that stick to RAW (unreasonably small benefit for high intelligence... other than DC for int casters).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think you should get a bonus to skills based on your INT score, but they can only be used for INT based skills. 16 INT? Great, you can pick up History, Religion, Arcana as a bonus. You're big brain does not let you get acrobatics though. Or perhaps for every bonus of INT you can spend it to get expertise on a skill even if you aren't a rogue or bard. Still gotta spend the skill point, but you can focus on it to a level that sets you ahead of others. Something like that.
To me, I’d rather just give everyone more skills, and let people represent being very smart with more knowledge skills.

Expertise is too powerful. I second getting extra languages for high Int. There’s very little in the game that gives you more languages aside from weak feats and being able to speak to a variety of races/cultures just adds more rp possibilities. It enables social skill checks instead of making existing ones overly powerful. . It also means that a party doesn’t have to rely on magic (comprehend languages or tongues).

Yeah, like I said I’m fine with more languages for higher Int. Especially since my well travelled sailor gnome with 15 Int would know more than Gnomish and Common.

Nice example of failing an Int (Athletics) check.

So applying my example to D&D, you could call for such a check if your player ever declares that he's looking to set up a trick shot, something like "I scan the room, looking for a piece of furnishing - a drapery, a candlestick, something - that I could shoot with an arrow to send flying into that lamp around the corner, and knock it over."

Success would mean that he's applied his archery trickshooting to the scene, and has found the outlandish geometry to make it work.
I tend to use Investigation for this, but I’d allow it if the character isn’t trained. I’ve been moving more toward complete divorce of skills from abilities, anyway.

I call for an Int check, and ask if there is any reason you’d have a proficiency bonus in the situation.

Yep, it's clear that I have failed, but that doesn't stop me from pretending like I know what I'm talking about. :)

make a Charisma check with proficiency if you’re proficient in Athletics or Deception. Advantage if you’re proficient in both.

I think smart people should be smart. I give +1 knowledge skill (history, religion, nature, arcana) per point of intelligence modifier.

Its a tragedy that intelligence is so underwhelming in 5e. Heck even wizards don't have to have high intelligence scores to be effective. Its amazing that wizards have any social standing at all. Here's what a 5e parent could be saying about their son.

"Well, he didn't have aptitude in anything, so we sent him to a weekend course to learn to be a wizard."
the fact they managed to become a wizard makes them exceptional. Most people don’t have levels.

Begond that, a 14 Int is incredibly exceptional for most races, and impressive even for gnomes. Most people have between an 8 and a 12 in all stats.

If you want a smart character, use your skill proficiencies for knowledge skills, and make sure your Int is above average.

Yep. Even outside not having to require rolls, each character should be rolling themselves, so each Barbarian is going to fail much more often than the wizard, and having simplistic rules for a trivia contest is going to get simplified results. Build encounters for the type of results you want.

How people justify multi classing really depends on dm and campaign. Some don’t allow multiclassing. I usually require a player to have a good reason. Maybe they’ve had a magic book for the last few years and only just recently learned to decode it. Or maybe we hand waive one year passing. I know lots of dms don’t care about that kind of thing though.

Yessir. For me, multiclass character “builds” are replacing a class progression. Thematically, there is no multiclass. My rogue/wizard is an exception, bc he started learning wizardry after meeting a threat he couldn’t even touch with mundane prowess. My wife’s Druid levels on her ranger are simply part of making the character as magical as her concept called for. She didn’t go study druidry, she just is progressively getting closer and closer to the spirits, exactly as if that were just how the class was built.

Ie, we view it as the “class” she is playing being a “Shamanic BM Ranger”.

I’d be ok with languages or tools, but not skills. A wizard shouldn’t outpace the rogue in skills just because their Int is higher.

Wizards tend to be naturally smarter then most at trivia they aren’t specialized in. I’m not sure every wizard should be good at every knowledge skill. I could see someone who specializes in one focus, like spellcasting, might not have a lot of time to learn other things outside their field.
A highly intelligent person who becomes a rogue will still have more skills (and be much better at some of them) than a person of the same intelligence who becomes a wizard.

Volund

Explorer
I've been thinking lately about the much bemoaned obsolence of INT as a useful stat for most classes this edition and I feel like there is one simple thing tjat would go a long way to having people seriously consider not dumping it: make perception an intelligence proficiency.

I have the opposite problem in the game I DM. In a party of six 4th level characters the highest passive perception is 12. Three PC's have Perception proficiency paired with a wisdom score of 10. One PC has a wisdom of 14 but isn't proficient in Perception. As a group they are much better at Arcana/History/Investigation/Religion skills. They're always pushing me to use Investigation to find traps and secret doors and I'm always pushing back that they have to notice something before they can investigate it. Perception lets you walk around with a broad awareness until something unusual grabs your attention. Investigation is putting your focus on a single thing and giving it all your attention. Using investigation to find traps and secret doors would require a focused examination of every surface: good lighting, brushing off dust, poking and probing, listening, moving slowly, etc. Certainly possible, but time consuming.

The first 30 seconds of this famous scene show how I interpret PC's using Wisdom and Intelligence to find traps. The room looks safe but Indiana Jones's gut instinct tells him it's not, he warns his partner, and his eyes lock onto something on the floor (Wisdom). He takes his time, checks an odd patch of dirt on the floor, moves the dirt, discovers a block of stone, uses a simple tool to run a test, and discovers a trap (Intelligence).

[video=youtube;mC1ikwQ5Zgc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC1ikwQ5Zgc[/video]

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A highly intelligent person who becomes a rogue will still have more skills (and be much better at some of them) than a person of the same intelligence who becomes a wizard.

IMO, the only non rogue or bard that should ever surpass an average rogue is a character who has spent character building resources like feats. Not someone who would have had a high Int anyway.

More narratively, the bard or rogue’s skillfullness isn’t about Int unless the player decides that it is. The skill class character can be of average or lower intelligence, and still be the skill monkey character. That shouldn’t be undercut.

Remove ads