What does it mean to "Challenge the Character"?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Right, but by putting the outcomes of such declarations into the realm of auto-success, these background features constrain the DM's narration of the outcome to align with the desires of the player. For example, if the player of an acolyte declares an action to ask a priest of the acolyte's temple to help in a non-hazardous way, I think it's reasonable for the player to expect the DM to say yes, and that to say no or ask for a Charisma check would require the DM to essentially ignore that part of the character's background feature.

I think they would inform but not constrain the DM's narration of the outcome of the adventurers' outcome. This may seem like splitting hairs, but we have to take any rule into the context of the idea that the rules serve the DM, not the other way around. In this case, it may well be likely that the DM always says the character can (for example) get an audience with a noble or help from his or her temple; however, in the realm of infinite fictional possibilities, that might not always be the case and the DM decides the result, not the rules and not the player, even if the rules inform the DM's decision. Thus, I would say background features such as the ones you quoted fall short of demonstrating that some NPCs are "extensions of the PC." In a practical sense, it might look and operate that way if it always works, but it's not an exception to the standard adjudication process.

Celebrim

Legend
Thus, I would say background features such as the ones you quoted fall short of demonstrating that some NPCs are "extensions of the PC." In a practical sense, it might look and operate that way if it always works, but it's not an exception to the standard adjudication process.

I agree. It's more reasonable to site familiars or animal companion as an extension of the PC, in that they are in some sense even within the fiction joined together. That might make for some sort of exception.

But when you talk about a line in a background feature that says, "You can get an audience with a noble", it's no more reasonable to assume that on account of that line every noble is an extension of the PC than it would be that if a PC had some skill at carpentry to say that every board in the campaign is an extension of the PC. All it is saying is that all other things being equal, it's easy for a PC to get an audience with an NPC noble. It doesn't necessarily mean that you can trivially get an audience with the Lord of Dee, who hasn't received a visitor in 400 years, or that you'll have safe conduct into the lair of an Ultralithid as a diner rather than a dish, or that if you greatly offended the noble last time that he's still equally willing to see you. There could still be examples of "nobles" that don't fit with the concept, or where access is restricted for valid reasons. It certainly doesn't mean that you can propose actions for the NPC the way that you can for your PC. It only means something like, "If any noble could seek an audience with this noble a reasonable chance of success, then you can as well."

If all nobles were extensions of the PC, then you could always propose there actions. Instead, you still can only propose your own actions, you just have reasonable assurance that the answer to the proposition about your PC, "I seek an audience with Baron Overhill", that the answer is "Yes, you get your goal." It's really no different than in say D&D 3.X having +14 on a skill check where the DC is always 15.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I agree. It's more reasonable to site familiars or animal companion as an extension of the PC, in that they are in some sense even within the fiction joined together. That might make for some sort of exception.

But when you talk about a line in a background feature that says, "You can get an audience with a noble", it's no more reasonable to assume that on account of that line every noble is an extension of the PC than it would be that if a PC had some skill at carpentry to say that every board in the campaign is an extension of the PC. All it is saying is that all other things being equal, it's easy for a PC to get an audience with an NPC noble. It doesn't necessarily mean that you can trivially get an audience with the Lord of Dee, who hasn't received a visitor in 400 years, or that you'll have safe conduct into the lair of an Ultralithid as a diner rather than a dish, or that if you greatly offended the noble last time that he's still equally willing to see you. There could still be examples of "nobles" that don't fit with the concept, or where access is restricted for valid reasons. It certainly doesn't mean that you can propose actions for the NPC the way that you can for your PC. It only means something like, "If any noble could seek an audience with this noble a reasonable chance of success, then you can as well."

If all nobles were extensions of the PC, then you could always propose there actions. Instead, you still can only propose your own actions, you just have reasonable assurance that the answer to the proposition about your PC, "I seek an audience with Baron Overhill", that the answer is "Yes, you get your goal." It's really no different than in say D&D 3.X having +14 on a skill check where the DC is always 15.

Yeah. To be clear, I actually prefer the players have some additional measure of control of the fiction outside of their characters and frequently build on offers the players make during play, especially when it comes to my regular players. But I also know that this is not supported by the rules of D&D 5e and so I can't honestly make the argument that it is when we're discussing what is or isn't in the rules, even if it's my preference.

Chaosmancer

Legend
This is bog simple. Control of your player does not require that everything your player imagines to be true conforms to your desires. Far from being an attempt to assert any sort of control over your character, this is by definition and very plainly an attempt at asserting control over the setting, by the obvious fact that Francis is not your character. The question is not, "Does Francis exist?", because we would need to know far more of the situation than is provided in the example. The only question of any real importance that can be answered from the example is, "Can Bob's player force every other participant in the game to concede that not only does Francis exist, but he is here right now."

It is actually something you said in your response to Hussar that gave me some insight into why some parts of this conversation are getting so confusing for me. You said "if that authority is operating under the veto power of the GM, then it's not authority at all."

This is not how I would have imagined the terms used. Authority, in my view, is the ability to make decisions even if those decisions can be vetoed.

That is why I have been having problems reconciling the view that players have absolute authority over their character's thoughts, with no veto power of the DM, when combined into this scenario. If you are giving absolute authority to the player, then as the DM you have to consider that authority beyond veto, and then that causes issues if a player decided to add to the story in a way that the DM is fully in their rights to veto, because in vetoing they infringe on the absolute authority granted to the player over their character by the same DM.

To me, a player's authority over their character is not free from DM veto, but if I declare that it is, then it must always be free from my veto. I don't get to go back and veto something just because I don't like it. That's why my question is "does Francis exist", because that is the intersection between absolute authority of the player over their character and absolute authority of the DM over the setting. That intersection doesn't happen with Francis being the guard at the gate, because there are logical reasons for the mix up that do not infringe on the player authority. If Bob insists on that, they are pushing too far. However, if the DM has said Bob has absolute authority over all aspects of his character, which would include his backstory, then Bob is not being unreasonable to create Francis the Guard and expect him to exist, because that is him exercising the absolute authority the DM handed them.

Yes. Not much. It's not something I'm saying you ought to really worry about, in the sense that it is some sort of sin or crime against the player. What I am saying is that as a thoughtful GM, you ought to be consciously aware of when you have dipped a toe over the line and are in the player's business.

Doing what you are doing there is "Director Stance". It's the GM not only being the curator of the story, but the conductor of the actors in it. You are giving the players stage direction and cues. And that's not always a bad thing, but the important thing is to know that you are doing it and what it involves and what it risks, so that you are making the choice consciously and intelligently and intentionally, and not painting yourself into a corner accidently.

Ultimately, it's a railroading technique, and a heavy reliance on "Director Stance" indicates low trust by the DM in their players and their players ability to play their characters. I guess I don't really think it's "too much", but I'm not impressed by it, because I'd rather see you talking about how you encourage your players to mature as players, and "Director Stance" really doesn't do that because it teaches the player that part of the game belongs to the GM. A GM in director stance is too absorbed by their own artistic vision, and in my opinion is - ironically considering the larger discussion - not taking enough feedback from the players.

That said, there might really be times to use "Director Stance" as a GM - though at the moment I can't really think of a great example. After all, when I listed "Director Stance" in my essay on railroading, I never said "Good GMs never use these techniques." What I really said was, "Good GMs understand these techniques and use them appropriately (and appropriately tends to be sparingly)."

Wow, there is a lot I'm going to have to think about for a response to all that. You say it isn't too bad, just that it is a railroad technique and involves risks.

But, you put a sentence in there that I fully disagree with. I bolded it, and the more I think on it the more I think this is a rather major point. You said that it teaches the player that some part of the game belongs to the GM. Since you are using that as a negative, that must mean you believe that to be false. That no part of the game whatsoever belongs to the GM. I cannot find a single way to agree with that view. I am at the table, I am spending multiple hours playing with my friends, even more hours thinking about the next session and making sure monsters and challenges are prepared. Months if not years crafting lore and worlds for the players to explore and play the game in. I have absolute authority over the setting, the NPCs, the very rules of the game.

Yet none of that, not even a sliver can be called mine?

I share it gladly. I know that I am at risk, as a writer, of letting myself get too enamored with certain outcomes and I strive constantly to avoid that. But the things I create are mine. We can share them, we can work together on changing them, I can give you cart blanche to do whatever you like with them. But they are mine, because I created them. I do own a portion of the game, because it would be a different game without me. The players would not have the same experience with a different DM, and if I left half way through, the second half of the game would feel very different, because I would take my portion of the game with me when I left, just as my players have taken portions of the game with them when they have left.

To me, to say that I own no portion of the game would be to abdicate all responsibility and care for the game. I'd be no better than an really smart calculator telling the players the results of their dice.

In your post, you said nothing about the player making the statement you make above. As far as I could tell from what you actually wrote ("For example, buying scrolls of Thunder damage spells in preparation of a battle involving lots of earth elementals under the assumption of them being vulnerable to that damage."), the player merely thought that, not necessarily the character. (Because players and characters are different, right?) So what it appears you've done here is move the goalposts, perhaps unintentionally, and then criticized my response on that basis.

But let's roll with what you added so we have something to talk about: If the player did make that statement and/or established that the character thought it, it still doesn't matter in my view. The player can have the character tell all and sundry why he or she is doing that for all I care. I'm only concerned with describing the environment, sometimes calling for checks, and narrating the results of the adventurers' in pursuit of fun for everyone while contributing to an exciting, memorable story. I don't see anything about the game that suggests I need to give a dusty flumph about why a player chooses to have the character do a thing and I certainly don't want to be policing thoughts, neither the players' nor the characters'.

I'm snipping the first part because I am tired of going in circles about it. If you can't see where the problem I have is, then there is no way to discuss it. You can check the response I gave above to Celebrim about authority, that might clear it up.

As for the other part, I did not move the goalposts intentionally, I really doubt I moved them unintentionally, since I stated in the original and in this "under the assumption of" the earth elementals vulnerability.

Now, if this is somehow different if a player simply thinks a thing compared to saying it out loud... I'm not sure what to say to that. I don't make a habit of assuming people are mind readers so I thought by stating what the players assumption was behind their action of purchasing, that you would understand that is what they would have said out loud at the table. The player's intent was clear in the example.

And, while you may not care, I am trying to show that just because a player's knowledge doesn't matter in the "Well, why wouldn't the wizard cast fireball on the trolls" combat application, there are other things people can do to act on information. Things that are directly tied to the information in question. And information is something that is a resource in the game. There are methods, skills, and abilities that tie into the gathering of information, and you seem to not care at all. Anything written at any point, or said by you or another DM at any point, is fair game for them to simply know. Whether it makes any sense for them to know, or if it will upend your campaign, it doesn't seem to matter to you.

The only thing I can think of, is that you have a different view on character information. They are fine to know things, because you will just change them if the character knowing that thing is too disruptive for you. They knew false information, why that information was false doesn't matter to you either, it just was. That doesn't work for me, if I am going to give my player's characters full authority to know anything, then they know it, I'm not going to change it later so they don't actually know it. That strikes me as dishonest.

And before this comes up, yes I do homebrew and change things myself, quite often actually. I also do not tell my players they can let their character's know anything and everything. They know there is a limit to what their character can know. So, since they are aware of that limit, then I don't feel bad changing things, because the information they gather and get is always accurate.

I don't know, myabe I'm just overly sensitive about this, but telling people they can "know" something to be true, because it is in the book and it is true, and then switching it on them, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Also, what does trusting the DM to tell a good story have to do with anything? When did D&D referees become storytellers?!

Since we started setting scenes, creating characters, and formulating plots. So, kind of since the beginning. We aren't standing at the side of the table like they do in wargaming or Magic Tournaments, we are sitting at the table and participating.

Metaphors are tricky things - but I suspect my approach to the GM's role in RPGing is a bit different from yours. And I wouldn't try and use a "secret" that a player already knows.

But the idea that there might be some fiction that isn't yet known to the players (or their PCs) is certainly acceptable to me. (Often it mightn't be known to the GM either.)

One thing to note about what I was saying. There were two players in that example. One who is a veteran and new some piece of lore, and the other who is newer and did not.

Players operate at different levels of knowledge, and what may be a fun and interesting plot for one to pursue could be ground to a halt if another pipes up with the answer before we even get started.

BoldItalic

First Post
<The players announce a short rest>

Joe: "We gather around the campfire, cleaning weapons and binding our wounds."
Jim: "Hamish Broadsword remarks That last cave was quite a challenge."
Ann (IC): "I thought we would prevail before I ran out of spells. I would have given anything for just one more Scorching Ray.
Joe: "I reassure Ann's character."
Jim: "Hamish says thoughtfully Another time, we should be better prepared for falling rock traps."

The characters were indeed challenged because the players said they were and role-played it that way.

Tony Vargas

Legend
This seems to point towards dysfunctionality at the table.
Well, yeah.

You say that like DMs and players shouldn't ever have to cope with dysfunction, and games should be designed for players & GMs who are functionally ideal, no dys, at all. The PC's may live in a fantasy world (and resolve their problems with violence & magic), but those playing the game sit at a table in the real one, where relationships and human interactions are complicated and prone to such things.

Also, what does trusting the DM to tell a good story have to do with anything? When did D&D referees become storytellers?!
The 90s, same time everyone else did, lest they be labeled ROLLplayer. ::shudder::

Also also, there's this undercurrent in the thread that the player, by establishing that the guard is his/her PC's friend Frances, is somehow "cheating" or unfairly/improperly subverting a challenge.
Is it an undercurrent? Could just come right out and say players pull stuff like that all the time? Because player do everything they can think of to eke out some advantage for the characters.

Fair enough. But, that's not really a problem with shared authority. That's a problem with Bob or the DM. If everyone is earnestly attempting to make the game better, then there shouldn't be too many problems.
Sure it's a problem with shared authority (because if you give out authority to a bunch of people, some of 'em are likely jerks. It's also a problem with centralized authority (because if that one guy who gets it all is a dysfunctional jerk, watch out).

However you distribute authority, try to keep it away from the dysfunctional jerks, right?

Meh, it's as simple as, "Well, everyone at the table has a stake in making the game as interesting for everyone as possible." The notion that the DM, by virtue of the DM, somehow has a better sense of what's best for the table than anyone else at the table, let alone everyone else at the table, is a very traditional approach to gaming, but, hardly the only one.
Everyone on the planet has a pretty critical stake in keeping the air breathable, but the environment still seems to be a thorny issue not everyone can agree on.

Your example, like your previous examples of other styles of play, shows a pretty strong bias for dysfunctional tables.
Yes. Because they exist.
Ideal tables may exist, too, I've just never seen one. I've /heard/ of them, all the time. Whenever someone is defending a game they think is awesome, the table they report playing it seems downright ideal, for instance.

I'm trying pretty hard to think how a player could justify completely rewriting an NPC that the DM has proposed in play - turning Grog the orc henchman into Francis my friend. How would that possibly be fun for the table? I can't really connect the dots there.
Not to give anyone reading this whiplash, but, I recall reading an example of play from a FATE game - spirit of the century, I think - where a player did exactly that. An NPC (Villain) was introduced, and the player changed it's name and retconned in a long-standing fued of some sort between them. One of those melodrama tropes ("ha! we meet again!"). I remember thinking it seemed a pretty cool technique, at the time.

IOW, if everyone at the table is operating in good faith, then there is no problem.
Yep, so why bother discussing or designing games for such tables? They'll be fine.

#cynicismnotjustforbreakfastanymore

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Tony V said:
Yes. Because they exist.
Ideal tables may exist, too, I've just never seen one. I've /heard/ of them, all the time. Whenever someone is defending a game they think is awesome, the table they report playing it seems downright ideal, for instance.

Oh, sure, and I have certainly seen more than a few dysfunctional players and tables. But,

Is it an undercurrent? Could just come right out and say players pull stuff like that all the time? Because player do everything they can think of to eke out some advantage for the characters.

isn't true. Or, at least, it's isn't always true. There are more than enough players out there that aren't interesting en eking out some advantage all the time. It might take a bit of hunting to find them, but, by and large, they are out there in pretty decent numbers. And, frankly, I think this comes down to a maturity thing at the table. (not age, maturity - they are different) Players who play long enough tend to work their way through the whole "I must get every advantage" thing after a while, particularly if they get shown another way of playing.

In a group that always power games, sure, they probably won't change much. But, in a group where authority gets spread around and, if the group enjoys that sort of thing, folks tend to settle down quite a bit and start taking a little broader view of the game rather than singular focus on their character.

Celebrim

Legend
This is not how I would have imagined the terms used. Authority, in my view, is the ability to make decisions even if those decisions can be vetoed.

If you can agree with your friend to come over to their house, but first you have to check and make sure it's OK with your parents, you don't have authority. Authority is when you are in charge. You have the power and right make decisions, give orders, and enforce your wishes. If you have to ask, "Mother may I?", it's not authority.

That is why I have been having problems reconciling the view that players have absolute authority over their character's thoughts, with no veto power of the DM, when combined into this scenario. If you are giving absolute authority to the player, then as the DM you have to consider that authority beyond veto...

Ok, yes. So far so good.

...and then that causes issues if a player decided to add to the story in a way that the DM is fully in their rights to veto, because in vetoing they infringe on the absolute authority granted to the player over their character by the same DM.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to make this any clearer, but "adding to the story in some way" and "authority over their character" are not the same things, and there is absolutely no conflict between having one and not the other. Just because you have authority over your character, does not mean you have a right to add things that are by definition external to the character. I'm at a loss to see how you don't understand that.

That's why my question is "does Francis exist", because that is the intersection between absolute authority of the player over their character and absolute authority of the DM over the setting.

But... it's just not. Francis is not part of the character. There is no conflict here. To the extent that player backstory does intersect with setting, in that a player creating a backstory wants to introduce things to the setting, then I've already explained how that issue is resolved in other posts. Essentially, neither the GM nor the player can unilaterally impose backstory on the other without some sort of permission. The player can't introduce a new character to the setting without permission of the GM (because the GM absolutely owns the setting), and the GM can't decide something happened to the player's character in the past without permission from the player (because the player absolute owns the PC). It's really simple. In practice, much of the time the two participants are happy to work with each other to create myth, but for very good reasons both sides must agree because there are times the player does not want his story altered by the GM and the GM doesn't want his setting altered by the player and each can have good and valid reasons for that.

If Bob insists on that, they are pushing too far. However, if the DM has said Bob has absolute authority over all aspects of his character, which would include his backstory, then Bob is not being unreasonable to create Francis the Guard and expect him to exist, because that is him exercising the absolute authority the DM handed them.

Seriously, Francis the Guard is obviously external to the character. This isn't even an interesting edge case like a Wizard's Familiar. The player's authority over the character does not extend to anything beyond his ability to play the character and make choices about the character. You have no more right to create Francis the Guard and expect him to exist than you do to create a +5 Holy Avenger and give it to yourself, and no matter how you twist, you can't make Francis the Guard part of the character because Francis is obviously an NPC.

But, you put a sentence in there that I fully disagree with. I bolded it, and the more I think on it the more I think this is a rather major point. You said that it teaches the player that some part of the game belongs to the GM. Since you are using that as a negative, that must mean you believe that to be false. That no part of the game whatsoever belongs to the GM.

Wait??? What?!?!? OK, we're just done. This isn't even amusing anymore. I said that it teaches that "some" part of the game belongs to the GM, and you have somehow twisted that into me saying that "no part of the game whatsoever belongs to the GM"? I have no words.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases